Halfling Hoopak

Wik

First Post
So, I was looking at my new character, Possum, and thinking what I could add that would make her "unique". She follows Uncle Spider (Mongrel), the halfling saint of travel. Right now, though, she uses a spear and a sling.

I keep thinking about Dragonlance, and the kender hoopak. Essentially, a Staff-Sling. I'd like to introduce a similar item, and wondering what it'd look like. Right now, I'm thinking (and this is a medium-size weapon; the actual halfling hoopak would scale appropriately):

Simple Weapon
1d6 damage in melee, or 1d4 with hurled sling stones.
30 ft. range increment
Normal Critical Rules (x2 on a crit)
Can`t be used as a double weapon.

Essentially, it`s like a character that used a staff and a sling, except now he doesn`t need to switch between items. However, the sling portion has a much smaller range (almost half), and the staff portion cannot be used as a double weapon, so it`s weaker.

the big problem I can see is the fact that Weapon Focus would allow a character to more or less get Focus in two different weapons (a ranged attack, and a melee attack), which may be a bit much for a Simple Weapon. But then, if you`re going to spend a feat on a weapon that really doesn`t inflict much damage, I think you should get the benefit.

As for in-game reasons, I think it would just work as a traveling stick that halflings (who love slings and hurled weapons) have adapted to suit their unique skillset. In the Kender-like way, each Hoopak is something very special and unique to the halfling - they decorate it, name it, and treat it almost as a companion. (I was even thinking Possum could use it as her Divine Focus!)

One last note: I have no intention of calling it a Hoopak. I`m not a huge Krynn person, and I do not like the idea of stealing from DL. Another name (Halfling Walking Stick, maybe; or even just Staff-Sling) would work just as well.

Any suggestions or arguments would be appreciated here.

Bront

The man with the probe
I could understand this being a simple weapon for Halflings (should be usable for any class that can use both for them), and martial for all others, as it is different than a quarterstaff, as you can't use one end to strike with quite the same way.

Definately needs a name other than Hoopak.

I'm not against it, but not sure if I'm for it either, let me think on it.

Wik

First Post
Howzabout this:

(Official Proposal, here)

SIMPLE WEAPON

Halfling Trail Stick
Damage (Small) 1d4; (Medium) 1d6
Bludgeoning Two-Handed Weapon
Critical 20/x2
Weight 4 lbs
Cost: 5 GP
Special: A halfling Trail stick is a simple staff with a fork at one end that is used to hold a leather sling strap. A proficient wielder can use the Trail Stick to make melee attacks, or can use the sling end to launch sling stones. The sling end of the trail stick functions as a normal sling, but with a range increment of only 30 feet.

A character that takes weapon focus in the trail stick must state if it applies to the sling end, or the staff end of the weapon (or he could spend two feats to have a focus in both uses).

B4cchus

Explorer
I think it looks fine. Maybe you should specify that the blunt end of the staff is used as a two-handed melee wepaon. I don't thinkthis should require anything more than a simple weapon procifiency.
I have some small doubts on the range inncrement of the slingshot end.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'm still not sold on it one way or another. It just doesn't seem like a simple weapon, at least not to everyone.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I agree that it doesn't seem simple. Also, I think that giving a race a weapon that is simple for them and martial for everyone else is a major power booster, assuming the weapon is legitimately strong enough to be a martial weapon (frex, this is similar to the Elven ability to use swords and bows, which is generally considered stronger than the dwarven ability to use the urgosh as a martial weapon if they are a fighter).

Wik

First Post
Fair enough. What if I boost it to martial weapon, with no racial benefit?

I mean, it kind of sucks, but maybe I can retcon Possum into burning a feat to get it. No biggie.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
Fair enough. What if I boost it to martial weapon, with no racial benefit?

I mean, it kind of sucks, but maybe I can retcon Possum into burning a feat to get it. No biggie.
I think that's definitely fair ruleswise. And don't forget that you can grab all martial weapons by taking a level in Fighter, etc.

The only thing left is the flavour issue. Now, there are some people who really really hate kender. I dislike them quite a bit, but not as much as some. However, it could be a legitimate complaint that we are making our halflings too kender-like. Other than that, I see no problems.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases