CLOSED Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords, Burnt Offerings

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Most of you do not see much of Mandraiv for the days between the attack and the hunt. From what you gather he spends much of his time at the new temple, helping with the funeral rights and assisting in the re-consecration. By the time you see him the day of the boar hunt, he is disheveled from the toil and apparently lack of sleep as well. Still, he cracks a smile at seeing you all again, a hint that the old man's good nature remains intact. Though his body is slowly failing, his spirit is alive.

As you ride through the woods tracking the hoary swine, Mandraiv regales you with tales of his travels throughout Varisia as a younger man. He spares no detail, giving you more than you care to know about his family history and practices. While it is difficult to listen to the old man's droning for long, you do gather enough to know that he is a former magician and wise man serving a traveling performing troupe comprised mostly of his family members. His older brothers (all 10 of them!) have all gone their separate ways and most of them he hasn't seen in years. Some members of his family, such as his niece, Tauni, with whom you gather he has a close relationship, come to visit him every four to five months in Sandpoint since he has retired.

While his family details are not particularly interesting, it turns out he is an excellent storyteller. One of his more fascinating yarns is a tale about a young Varisian knight who lived many years ago...

In his day, Sir Rauno was said to be the handsomest knight in Varisia, much like myself when I was younger, Mandraiv says with a grin. And the women! Ah, the women would fawn over him like a dwarf over gold. He was a prize catch for any woman who could win his fancy. To be wooed by Sir Rauno was every young girl's dream.

It happened that in his travels Sir Rauno came across a village that had been devastated by an ogre army which came from dreaded Hook Mountain. The ogre lord, who was called Mochremot, demanded each year that a dozen virgins be brought up the mountain and delivered to his tribe. The women were never heard from again and the town lamented their loss each year, suspecting they had been sacrificed to the evil god of the ogres. Yet they were powerless to prevent it and Mochremot threatened to destroy the entire village if his demands were not met.

This village was called Arou, and its burgomaster was desperate for the young knight's help. "Save our precious village," he begged, "and you shall have your pick of the twelve virgins that we would otherwise be required to deliver to take as your wife." Sir Rauno, of the purest noble blood, needed no such incentive to offer his aid to the innocent, and he accepted the task without hesitation.

Sir Rauno gathered with him his strongest and bravest men and began the ascent of Hook Mountain to meet the ogres on their own turf. When they at last arrived at the ogre camp, Sir Rauno stood out and issued a challenge to Mochremot to meet him in battle. The ogres were outraged at this defiant human's tone and chomped at the bit to rip him to shreds, but Mochremot stood and simply laughed. He offered a bargain with Sir Rauno. If Sir Rauno could defeat him in single combat, his ogres would leave their home in the mountain and trouble the village of Arou no more, but if Mochremot defeated Rauno, then his men would become the ogre's dinner that night.

Sir Rauno's men had the greatest of faith in their liege, and exhorted him to accept the evil ogre's challenge, confident in the knight's ability to best his foe. Though Rauno did not wish to imperil his loyal men, he was encouraged by their support, and agreed to Mochremot's terms. The two marched out from their kin and met in the middle. Rauno drew his steel. Mochremot hefted his axe. They combatants then let out a simultaneous scream and crashed headlong into fight. Rauno used his superior speed to avoid the ogre's powerful swipes, but spent so much time getting out of the way of attacks that he never saw an opening himself. Mochremot roared at his dextrous foe and charged directly over him, bowling him over. Rauno was at a disadvantage upon the ground. Mochremot's axe was now flying down towards his head, but at the last moment, Rauno managed to scoop up his blade, roll under the ogre's legs, and thrust directly upward. Ogre blood poured down upon Sir Rauno's hands as the sword which had driven straight up between Mochremot's legs had punctured all the way to his heart. The ogre listed, then fell to the ground with a crash. Rauno's men let out loud huzzahs and chased down the other ogres, who now feared for their lives at the hands of this man who had defeated their best warrior.

When Rauno returned to Arou, he presented Mochremot's head upon a stake and swore that it would forever sit before the road into the mountains to serve as a reminder to monsters seeking to exploit humanity. He also presented another gift to the town. Many of the young women who had been taken prisoner years earlier had survived, having been taken as ogre wives and slaves. Rauno's defeat of Mochremot had liberated them and they could finally return to their families.

The townspeople were ecstatic. The burgomaster proclaimed a holiday and the twelve young maidens swooned at the possibility of becoming the bride of this brilliant young hero. However, when Sir Rauno met with them during the festival, he found he was unable to choose. Each of them put their best face forward and was strikingly beautiful. Rauno therefore devised a test for the maidens. The one who passed would become his bride.

For his test, he would conduct a private interview with each of them, hoping to learn more about them in private than they would reveal in public. The next day, a servant called the maidens one by one into his bed chamber. When the maidens arrived inside, the servant told them the master was still preparing and that he would come to speak with them soon. The servant was a haggard old man of many years. He was covered with battle scars an was missing most of his teeth. His breath smelled terrible and his garments had not been recently washed. But he was old and unable to care properly for himself, and as the two awaited the master, he removed his shoes to reveal terrible blisters upon his feet from so many years of following his master around. Finally, the servant would leave to fetch Sir Rauno and he would come for the interview. Most of the girls took one look at the servant and could barely stomach his appearance. They turned their heads and hoped soon for the arrival of Sir Rauno. However, a young maiden by the name of Syeria took pity on the old man, and when he had removed his shoes she had gone up to him and offered to rub his feet with a cool cloth to make them feel better. She had wiped his brow and offered to clean his clothes. It was then that the old servant removed his hat and a magical change came over him as he transformed back into the young Sir Rauno. He had wished to judge each maiden on her character, and Syeria had been the only one to offer the old servant aid.

The moral of the story, I believe, is obvious
Mandraiv says with a look on sterness, I am not an ugly old man, but actually a fair young knight with a fine young lass as my wife! At this he cracks a smile and looks at his fellow party members, hoping they appreciate the joke. But seriously though, he continues with a short chuckle, Appearances can be deceiving. True character is defined by how you act when you do not believe important people are watching.

*****​

During the hunt, Mandraiv doesn't make a shot all day. It seems every time he is either too slow to react or to shaky to properly fire his bow. When Aldern finally takes down the boar, Mandraiv pats him on the back. Way to make an old man look bad, he says with a grin.

hewligan

First Post
Grim News from Mosswood

The feast ... what a feast! The boar was perfect, the crackling crisp and juicy, the flesh deep and dark. Ameiko cooked it with heavy spices that seemed to set the mouth aflame. It went particularly well with the cold beer from the Rusty Dragon. At the end of the evening you noticed a disheveled young elven woman enter the bar. She was wearing traveling gear, and was equipped with bow and longsword. Her hair was pulled up in a tight bun, with dark feathers splayed down towards her neck in decoration. She smelled faintly of smoke, and looked exhausted. Ameiko immediately broke off from her work behind the bar, moving to the woman, putting her arm around her, and walking with her off to the private residences of the inn. You catch them deep in whispered conversation as they walk past.

The rest of the evening slowly winds down, with Aldern making his excuses and departing before sun-down (he is travelling back to Magnimar tomorrow morning). He has heard Kael's tale of his dead horse, and insists that you take one of his mounts. He will leave a pack horse for you at the Goblin Squash Stables under supervision of Daviren Hosk. His ability to make this gesture seems to leave him in a good mood, perhaps feeling that he has paid off some of his debt. He bids you all farewell and leaves the inn. It is not long before the rest of you go down for the night. Soon you will need to decide what to do with yourselves.

---

The next morning you are all awoken by a town guard. It is very early, probably before 7am, but the guards have been asked by Sheriff Hemlock to request your presence at a meeting as soon as possible. You individually make your way to a comfortable room on the second floor of the Town Hall where you recognise the mayor, Sheriff Hemlock, and, instantly recognisable from the evening before, the elven woman that entered the Rusty Dragon. She still looks tired and slightly harried, but she has cleaned herself up and has at least regained a semblance of calm.

Mayor Deverin smiles warmly at each of you as you enter, and when finally everyone is ready a large kettle of hot coffee (a rare treat in these northern parts) is brought in, and Mayor Deverin makes a point of pouring everyone a cup, despite her elevated station.

Sheriff Hemlock starts to address you, the morning chat silencing in his wake. He introduces the elven woman to you as Shalelu Andosana, "an unofficial member of Sandpoint's town guard, and a true friend to the people of these parts, even though nobody in town would realise it!". Shalelu smirks slightly as Hemlock introduces her, looking embarrassed by the description.

"And this group are Sandpoint's newest crop of heroes!" He then introduces you each in turn by first name to Shalelu, and very briefly recounts the goblin raid on Sandpoint and the fact that the entire thing appears to have been a diversion to distract the guards while the body of the late Father Tobyn was stolen from the graveyard. He then explains that Shalelu has been a thorn in the side of the local goblin tribes for years, and that few in the region know more about them that her. He goes on to recap her report that Sandpoint hasn't been the only place in the region that's had goblin troubles. In short, there's been an increase in goblin-related raids along the Lost Coast Road, particualrly in the dale between Nettlewood and Mosswood. Only a day ago a far south of Mosswood was burnt to the ground by a group of goblins. Shalelu was nearby and saw the smoke. She couldn't save the farm, but she did fine the family holed up in a barn, under attack, and managed to down a couple of goblins and rescue the family. They are now staying at a nearby farm, but the goblin problem is obviously not going to go away quickly.

Hemlock sits down and holds his mug of coffee in two hands, staring into the black oily liquid as if contemplating the dark times he has found himself in. Shalelu starts to talk, her voice is beautiful, almost musical, and at times you have to strain to pick up her quietly spoken words.

"Belor's told me of your work against the goblins. Well done! I've dedicated the last several years of my life to keeping them from causing too much trouble around these parts, but they are tenacious and fecund little runts. Like weeds that bite."

"Anyway, there's five major goblin tribes in the region, and, traditionally, they're pretty good at keeping each other in line with intertribal squabbles and the like. Yet from what I;ve been able to pice together, members of all five tribes were involved in the raid on Sandpoint. A fair amount of the Mosswood tribe goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, and here was a lot of chatter about the 'longshanks' who killed so many of them. Now I've met you, it seems obvious from their descriptions who they were talking about. Seems like you made an impression. Especially the tall 'giant'." She says this last looking at Jokad.

"In any event, the very fact that the five tribes are working together disturbs me. Goblin tribes don't get along unless they've got something big planned, and big plans require big bosses. I'm afraid that someone's moved in on the goblins and organized them. And judging by these recent raids, what they're organising seems like bad news for all of us."

After her speech Mayor Deverin speaks up. "I have asked Sheriff Hemlock to head south to Magnimar to relay this information and request additional soldiers to be stationed at Sandpoint. Our last request .... well .... it fell on deaf ears, but perhaps with this additional information ... Anyway, I would like you all to maintain a very obvious public presence in Sandpoint over the next few days. People will get nervous with Hemlock out of town, and we need to keep people feeling safe. The people seem to have taken to you all, and what I need right now is a quiet, peaceful town. Sheriff Hemlock will be gone for a few days. These things can take time!".

As the meeting finishes, Shalelu asks if you would have time for a short stroll towards the north gate (accompanying her as she immediately heads out of town, restocked, and heading out to check on some of the most exposed farms). As you stroll with her you have time to ask any questions you wish. She seems willing to impart any information she can.

OOC: Thank you all for the excellent in-character posts. The next chapter of the adventure starts immediately after you finishing talking to Shalelu and head back to the Rusty Dragon (I need you all to head back there together, so Mandraiv, find some excuse to follow them - perhaps a big joint breakfast so that you can discuss what to do next). Also, please let me know if anyone doesn't want to follow the request by Hemlock and Deverin to stay in and around Sandpoint for a few days to effectively act as guards in the absence of Hemlock and some of his men as they head south.

Last edited:

frostrune

First Post
Despite the early morning wake-up after a late night of drinking Jokad seems to be in high spirits on the walk from the meeting. He stands tall and strides purposefully drinking in deep breaths of the salty air.

His dark eyes are alert as he alternates between scrutinizing every shadow along their route and the elven maiden herself. It is obvious he is curious but he says nothing unless asked (just about everything Jokad does is obvious).

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Well Madame Mayor, Mandraiv begins, I don't know what good you think an old man like myself can do patrolling the town, but if you think it will help, I would be obliged to do what I can. These nasty beasts cannot be allowed to wreak havoc on the morale of the townsfolk. I may be getting up there in years but my vows to Desna to defend the innocent still stand.

On the stroll out of town, Mandraiv is quite chatty with the fair elf, although it is obviously more for the old man's curiosity than anything. So, there are five goblin tribes you that have dwelt in this land you say? Fascinating. Goblins are something of a hobby of mine, but I never realized there was so much to their tribal hierarchy. Do go on, he muses while drinking of her knowledge. He seizes upon the opportunity to tell her several knee-slappers that are old favorites of his, such as the one about the elf and dwarf who walk into a bar. The dwarf asks for whiskey, the elf asks for wine, and the bartender asks if this is some kind of joke. He also trades knowledge with her on Goblin insults and Goblin slang so that he might be better able to understand the local dialects should the goblins be encountered again.

Fenris

Adventurer
Jovik is woken far too early. He had enjoyed his new found famed fame well into the night, and the morning sun was an unwelcome visitor.

Still he trudged back to the town hall. He did enjoy that rare treat of coffee though. As much fun as Jovik had had the night before, the news that he was still stuck here soured his mood. He was itching to leave. Half of his admirerers were amazed that he was actually getting out of town. So this might put a damped on those free drinks.

Still, he could milk it another day or two he bet.

Rhun

First Post
Danth is already awake and dressed when the guard comes to fetch him. As a priest of Sarenae, the young man was always awake for the dawn of each new day.

He listesn quietly to all that the mayor and the elf have to say, sipping at the coffee as they speak. The dark liquid was a tad strong, but Danth enjoyed the rich flavor. He could certainly get used to drinking the beverage, if only it weren't so rare in these parts.

Before leaving to accompany Shalelu to the north gate, Danth asks for a moment of the Sheriff's time. "Sheriff Hemlock, would you be so kind as to deliver a message for me while you are away south? The temple in Magnimar is expecting my return...could you perhaps inform the high priest of the situation here, and let them know that I am providing what aid I can in Sarenae's name?"

Friadoc

Explorer
Kael is awake enough, as the young man has been trying to avoid becoming to hard of a partier, however during the meeting he is more silent than normal.

However, when the mayor mentions the last request having fallen on deaf ears, Kael does blow a scoffing cough of sorts through his nose and nods slightly.

Once the mayor is finished, Kael says, "You've got my help mayor, Sandpoints always been a good place for me and my folk."

Once done, Kael will go with the others and the elven lady.

"Shelelu, any idea about the leader of the goblins?" Kael asks as they walk. "Uniting these groups must be taking someone pretty strong."

hewligan

First Post
Shalelu is happy to answer your questions as you walk towards the north gate.

There are 5 major goblin tribes in the region. The Birdcruncher goblins live in caves long the western edge of the Devil's Platter. They are the nearest to Sandpoint, but also historically the least aggressive (unless you are a bird!)

The Licktoad goblins dwell to the south in the Brinestump Marsh. They are excellent swimmers, and tend to be heavily camouflaged in mud and reeds. They have historically been a nuisance, rather than a real threat.

East are the Seven Tooth goblins of Shank's Wood. They have secured a place for themselves by raiding Sandpoint's junkyard and rebuilding the stolen refuse into weapons and armour.

Further east are the Mosswood goblins, the largest tribe it would seem, but one that tends to spend more time on inter-family feuds than on external aggression.

Finally there are the Thistletop goblins, who live on the Nettlewood coast atop a small island that some say holds a passing resemblance to a decapitated head. The island is very close to the shore, and is reached by a small rope bridge. Shalelu has ben very close to their lair in the past, but has found the way well guarded. The Thistletops are the most aggressive, and expansionary.

She also lets slip some "goblin heroes", from Big Gugmut of the Mosswood tribe, a big muscular goblin who is said to have a hobgoblin mother and a wild boar father. Koruvus was a chamption of the Seven Tooth tribe who wielded (akwardly!) a human sized Longsword, said to be magical. He disappeared a few months ago.

She mentions that Ripnugget is the current leader of the Thistletop goblins and controls what all five tribes view as the most coveted lair (the island fort).

And then lastly there is Bruthazmus, an infamous bugbear ranger who lives in northern Nettlewood and often visits the five tribes to trade things he has stolen from caravans for alcohol, news, or magic arrows. Shalelu's face cannot hide her distaste for this creature as she reveals that he has a particular hatred of elves, and that the two of them have clashed several times. She vows bitterly that she won't be the first to fall in their private war!

She doesn't know who is leading the five tribes. She admits that it seems very likely that they have been united, and while her first thought was that perhaps Ripnugget of the Thistletop tribe may have been just about strong enough to do this, the captured goblin's claim that a 'longshank' was leading things had thrown this idea out. She says that she is sure it isn't Bruthazmus, for although to the goblins this hobgoblin is a longshank, he is too alcohol addled to lead himself, let alone the five tribes.

As for goblin insults, she teaches you a few choice sayings in their own tongue. All seem to revolve around either being too short, or having a mother of questionable lineage (such as 'your mother is a midget slug').

Rhun

First Post
"Goblin tribes, and heroes and insults," says Danth with a slight smile on his face. "I've learned quite a bit this day."

hewligan

First Post
Ameiko is Missing!

The sheriff has asked you to makes yourselves conspicuous, and, well, the best way to do that would appear to be to walk around town, chatting to people and generally being seen. It feels strange, but the town guards who remain (a contingent of 4 left with Sheriff Belor Hemlock a few hours ago ... oh, and he is happy to relay your message Danth) have been told of your temporary 'induction' into their ranks.

It all feels a bit odd, to be honest, and when lunch time approaches, the suggestion of returning to the Rusty Dragon for some leftover boar sandwiches, and perhaps a weak ale .. well, that is being 'conspicuous' too, isn't it, and there is no good having the towns erstwhile defenders falling unconscious from fatigue and hunger.

Things don't quite turn out this way, unfortunately. When you walk into what should be a bustling lunchtime crowd at the Rusty Dragon, you see Bethana (the timid, elderly halfling woman who cooks for Ameiko) standing in the middle of the empty room looking distraught. She starts to speak, as if to inform you that the place is closed, before recognising you all. You can see the relief wash over her face, albeit temporarily, before being replaced with a mask of worry again.

"Oh, thank Desna you are here. Thank Desna! Ameiko is gone!"

She seems panicked, her voice nearly breaking.

"I got up this morning with the fishermen ((a local phrase, meaning a very early start)), as I always do, and went downstairs to start the hearth and heat the ovens. Normally, by the time I am getting things cleaned up from the night before, Ameiko comes downstairs and heads out to get the food for the morning's breakfast. Well not today!"

She pauses for dramatic effect, her little hands twisting against a piece of folded paper she holds.

"I was a bit worried, thought maybe she was feeling ill, so I went and knocked on her door but didn't get a response. Now, normally I ain't no sneak, and Desna will tell you I don't go putting my nose in other people's business, but I was worried, see, so I took a peek. Her room was empty, and her bed was unslept in. I thought maybe that girl has got herself a nice man, at last, but then I saw this note lying on her floor."

She thrusts forward the note to you. It is a handwritten single sheet, completely indecipherable to all off you. It has clearly been written in some language of sweeping arches and angular shifts.

"That there is the lady's native tongue, you see! Likely to keep prying eyes from seeing it ... but she taught me how to read and write her language over the last few years I have been working for her, well a bit. I mean, I ain't no expert, but I can read enough to know it ain't no good!"

She stretches out her hand to retrieve the letter, and then, laying it flat on a table starts to slowly read out a faltering translation:

"Hello, sis!

I hope this letter finds you well, and with some free time on your hands, because we’ve got something of a problem. It’s to do with father. Seems that he might have had something to do with Sandpoint’s recent troubles with the goblins, and I didn’t want to bring the matter to the authorities because we both know he’d just weasel his way out of it. You’ve got some pull here in town, though.

If you can meet me at the Glassworks at midnight tonight, maybe we can figure out how to make sure he faces the punishment he deserves. Knock twice and then three times more and then once more at the delivery entrance and I’ll let you in.

In any case, I don’t have to impress upon you the delicate nature of this request. If news got out, you know these local rubes would assume that you and I were in on the whole thing too, don’t you?

They’ve got no honor at all around these parts. I still don’t understand how you can stand to stay here. Anyway, don’t tell anyone about this. There are other complications as well, ones I’d rather talk to you in person about tonight.

Don’t be late.

Tsuto"

She lets out a little shriek of despair.

"Tsuto ... he is a bad one! A family scandal. He was born, what, must be 21 years ago .. but he is a half elf!!!! Neither of Ameiko's parents are elves. Do you see what I am saying?"

Scandalous indeed, if you are an old halfling woman. Her eyebrows arch and she nods sagely, as if this revelation itself were enough to prove that the boy was a lost cause.

"His father disowned him ... well fair enough if you ask me, for the boy obviously wasn't his ... and sent him away to the Turandarok Academy to be raised outside the Kaijitsu family. He was cut off completely by his father, and his mother was not allowed to see him, but I know Ameiko used to go see him a lot. Probably once every couple of weeks.

Well, that all changed about six years ago. They must have argued, for Ameiko came back bloodied, and in tears. She left the town for about a year after that, went wandering. That was before she bought this old place and did it up. Went wandering, made a bit of a name for herself, and came back with quite a bit of cash. She only came back for her mother's funeral. The old dear fell off a cliff. She was a lovely old lady, but got a bit mournful near the end, and it appears she killed herself. Tsuto was having none of that though. He made a right scene at the funeral, blamed his father for killing his mother. Said he pushed her off the cliff. Mad, but then that is what being disowned can do to you.

It was a terrible scene, of course, and Lonjiku nearly whacked Tsuto's head off with his cane. In the end some local lads had to come and drag the boy out of town. I know Ameiko tried to reestablish contact with Tsuto after this. She spent a lot of time and energy trying to trace him, but as far as I know she never managed.

And then this letter turns up. I don't know what to do. I heard that Hemlock has left town, so I cannot very well go to him, and ... well ... I am at a loss. Please help!

The little old lady starts sobbing, burying her eyes in her hands.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases