Races & Classes

Markn

First Post
I was looking at WotC's website and was astounded when I noticed that the canadian price for the Races & Classes book that is coming out next month is $25.95 while the US price is $19.95. This is absurd. The canadian dollar is worth more than the american dollar at the moment and may be for some time. How is this pricing justified? Is it just a price reflected on the book for the eventuality that american dollar goes up (comparitively to the canadian dollar) but that my local store will be able to buy it cheaper and price it appropriately if they want? Or, is the price always going to be more for Canadians than Americans?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Amazon's not always accurate with pre-release info.

The Prince on Amazon UK is £14.99, and £1 is over $2 - go figure. :)

Markn

First Post
Morrus,

The price is directly from WotC website which tells me that is their suggested retail price. I'm kind of wondering, are they cutting canadian resellers a better deal at the moment or do we always pay more?

Sir Brennen

Legend
Most printed items, magazines in particular, that I've seen both the US and Canadian prices on seem to have a price difference about equal to what you've mentioned. Pricing for such things is a little less dependent on the dollar ratio at any given moment.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Markn said:
I was looking at WotC's website and was astounded when I noticed that the canadian price for the Races & Classes book that is coming out next month is $25.95 while the US price is $19.95. This is absurd. The canadian dollar is worth more than the american dollar at the moment and may be for some time. How is this pricing justified? Is it just a price reflected on the book for the eventuality that american dollar goes up (comparitively to the canadian dollar) but that my local store will be able to buy it cheaper and price it appropriately if they want? Or, is the price always going to be more for Canadians than Americans?

You do realize it cost's money to ship things over the boarder right? I mean I know theres the whole free trade thing... but Gas costs money too.

GrinningBuddha

First Post
Lord Xtheth said:
You do realize it cost's money to ship things over the boarder right? I mean I know theres the whole free trade thing... but Gas costs money too.

So if the printing is done in New York, it should cost less to ship the books to California or Guam than it does to Toronto?

I can understand a 10-15% increase in price, but 30%? Seems fairly outrageous.

Markn

First Post
I, for one, would like to hear what the extra costs are for WotC to sell items in Canada, at least so I can understand some of the reasons for the price difference. So, if any WotC people happen to look at this thread, a reply would be appreciated.

med stud

First Post
Can't you just order it from USA? Many times it's cheaper to order books over the Atlantic, shipping costs must be lower if you live in Canada?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Market value in a given market isn't determined just by the American dollar exchange rate. Books are more expensive in Canada, so WotC can get away with charging more.

You might as well ask why the book doesn't sell for the $2 it probably takes to ship and print. They're not running a charity; they're charging whatever will maximize profit. Canadians and Britons are used to paying more for this stuff, so that's what they get.

You wanna see some real disparities, try buying a PS3 in the UK...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases