Siege in the Stonespike Mountains (Boddynock Judging)

Patlin

Explorer
"You can call me Lady Diana, though I'd like to maintain as much anonymity as possible. Please demonstrate your abilities for my advisors, so that they might finalize the offers to be made to each of you."

She gets out an old book and places it on the table in front of her.

Quick Housekeeping Bits
Please use invisible castle to make all the dice rolls you would make in a normal game. It completely bogs me down if I have to do the rolling for the PCs as well as the NPCs, and if I get bogged down I don't update as often and things spiral out of control and... well, you get the point. Please?

(I'll do the dice rolling if you simply cannot, for whatever reason. If such is the case, make sure to post the modifiers.)

I will mostly use Invisible Castle as well, and generally I post the links for each roll. If I miss one or two, you are welcome to do a search there under "DM Patlin" to see what I've been up to. Being more-or-less human, I will occasionally screw something up. If I do and you tell me about it quickly, I'll fix it. If we figure out a mistake several rounds later, though, I may simply decide you're stuck with it. Example: If I'm applying sneak attack damage to your character and I forgot you've got a blur spell up, tell me right away!

Also, please be cautious when using sblocks and the title box. Depending on how I'm acessing the board, I sometimes can't see stuff in those two places. For example, I use "topic review" a lot when resolving combats, and that mode doesn't show any titles.

Finally, I don't generally used colored text, as it often seems it causes someone to have trouble reading it. If you want to use colored text, I use the default black background, and bright colors are apreciated!

Reference
Xp #1

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
"Perhaps a single spell will demonstrate the level of power I am able to use. Most of my spells are difficult to show quickly in this room, but perhaps this one will do. Everyone gather in this corner. Yes, over here. Now don't go past this chair here until the spell if over."

Iggy then reaches into his spell component pouch, and quickly mouths off some arcane syllables. Immediately on the other side of the room a field of black tentacles, ten feet long, spring from the floor. They writhe, and whip about, looking for anything to grab. After 48 seconds, they disapear.

"Those can be quite dangerous." Iggy remarks once they're gone.

Patlin

Explorer
The old conjurer nods at the tentacular display and make some notes on a pad she carries, muttering aprovingly.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Zaeryl follows back as well.*

"And we will show you our power as well. We are sure you are quite familiar with the metamagic to remove verbal and somatic components from spells"

*Before the tentacle's duration expires, Zaeryl simply flicks a finger and dispels it effortlessly.*

(OOC: Dispel Psionics with full augmentation can go up to 1d20+20 and the DC to Dispel Iggy's spell is 18, so Zaeryl cannot fail. Also, no displays/components offers no chance to make a Spellcraft check on him. Yay!)

"As the woman called Opale said before, stripping the magics from dragons successfulyl can be crucial to any engagement with them. If your magic is more powerful than that tentacle and you desire a further display of power, we will Dispel one of yours as well."

Patlin

Explorer
Having finished her computations, the old wizard confers with "Lady Diana" and the latter speaks.

"I would be willing to pay you 9,000 gp for your part in this adventure. I'm willing to pay cash, all up front, on condition of your accepting a gease to pursue the quest diligently and immediately."

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: So dispel psionics can be used to dispel magic. Can dispel magic be used to dispel psionics? Is that offer for both of them? That's quite a haul for Iggy!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Manzanita said:
OOC: So dispel psionics can be used to dispel magic. Can dispel magic be used to dispel psionics? Is that offer for both of them? That's quite a haul for Iggy!
(OOC: Yes, we use transparency, so each dispels the other. Otherwise Dispel Psionics would be useless in most adventures.

9000 each == :) :) :)
Probably just to split though.)

Patlin

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Dispel Psionics with full augmentation can go up to 1d20+20 and the DC to Dispel Iggy's spell is 18, so Zaeryl cannot fail. Also, no displays/components offers no chance to make a Spellcraft check on him. Yay!)

Ah, yes, we're stuck with the broken "as-written" version of Dispel Psionics. It's sort of ironic that while I tend toward the "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" philosophy and you are much more guarded, you are nevertheless the first player to use in one of my games something I consider broken. ;)

SRD said:
Identify a power being manifested. (You must sense the power’s display, or see some visible effect, to identify a power.) No action required. No retry.

I think the tentacles vanishing constitutes a "visible effect" so I'll allow the NPC to evaluate it somewhat... otherwise, she would just ask for another demonstration anyway.[/sblock]

A debate ensues at this display, but it is eventually settled when Lady Diana makes the same offer to Zaeryl.

ooc: Yes, that's each. ;) Fair warning, though: this is a military style adventure, and you may not get many more opportunities to loot your enemies than regular soldiers do.

SlagMortar

First Post
Planus watches the interesting magics of Iggy and this strange Zaeryl. His eyes bulge a bit at the sum of money. "Well, the most interesting thing I can do at the moment is this," says Planus as he suddenly disappears from his current location and immediately reappears laughing in the back corner. "I could have gone much further, but then how would you know I hadn't just turned invisible, which I can also do, though I've been able to do that for awhile."

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ah, yes, we're stuck with the broken "as-written" version of Dispel Psionics. It's sort of ironic that while I tend toward the "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" philosophy and you are much more guarded, you are nevertheless the first player to use in one of my games something I consider broken.

(OOC: Do you consider Ashin's Commission one of your games because of a PC? If so, I must direct you to Metamorphic Tranfer + Metamorphosis, though Erekose was nice and didn't abuse it.

As for my philosophy, I think you'll find that in my home games, I'm pretty much "Kitchen Sink - terribly broken stuff and things that break campaign feel in a particular campaign". The real 'core-only + little extra' crowd would laugh if you placed me with them--I'm just exponentially more guarded with a Living World because my home game rules are based on what I know I can handle and still make the game work out to be fun for all, and my Living World rules are based "Can a novice GM jump into our Living World and still do fine". When I come across something that I know I could deal with but that would take a decent amount of my expertise (so a novice GM couldn't), then I try to ban it from LEW or LEB)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases