D&D 4E Rumor control: Lucca 4e seminar report inaccuracies

Aloïsius

First Post
Yay ! The idea of having to play "D&D 2009" or "D&D 2010" rather than "D&D 2011" seemed to microsofty for me.

And I hope (I mean HOPE) the DMGx will give the DM option about different style of play : low-magic, grim & gritty, High fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, Super-heroic, Wuxia, Realms/guilds management rather than Point of Light etc...

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Obviously there's no tiered OGL, since the OGL is what it is. It can't be changed. (Or rather, if it's changed, anyone can just use a prior version and sidestep any changes they don't like.)

Obviously, the key point is whether or not there will be a tiered d20 STL.

Specificity would be appreciated. Unfortunately, at the moment Scott appears to be either (a) engaging in a bit of doublespeak or (b) misusing terms he should be more than familiar with.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Wulf Ratbane said:
Unfortunately, at the moment Scott appears to be either (a) engaging in a bit of doublespeak or (b) misusing terms he should be more than familiar with.

Or c) scrambling to correct faulty information in addition to keeping up with all his other duties, thereby losing some clarity in exchange for a speedy reply.

That said, the comments by Scott in the thread he links to implies a non-tiered d20 STL. That might be wishful thinking on my part, of course, and some clarification would be nice.

/M

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Maggan said:
Or c) scrambling to correct faulty information in addition to keeping up with all his other duties, thereby losing some clarity in exchange for a speedy reply.

I think that's covered under (b) misusing terms he should be familiar with.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Yeah, the OGL and D20 license are completely different animals.

Scott, either the D20 license is going away with 4e or you are changing it. Avoiding its discussion in a thread that screams "discuss me" indicates it will not be the same as under 3e ;)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Plane Sailing said:
I've stickied this thread for a day or so to make sure that it stays visible and the rumour doesn't progress further.

Cheers
Dang, it really is true that when you sticky a thread it doesn't get as much notice. I completely missed this thread when I was looking for something like it. I only found it through the link Morrus added to his post in the 4th Edition News thread.

JamesM

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
I think that's covered under (b) misusing terms he should be familiar with.
Indeed. This is a question I'd very much like to see answered as well.

My feeling is that, given what we've seen so far, WotC has nothing to gain by helping to rebuild the value of the D20 "brand," so they'll just let it die a quiet death, simultaneously eliminating the stigma attached to it and saving themselves the effort of having to police violations of it.

.:avatar:.

First Post
25th Edition deserves this web humiliation, due to all their translation inaccuracies... as in rulebooks so in seminars... Now this is karma.

(Unless, of course, WOTC is an evil money making company whose lackey 25th Ed. revealed too many hints of their diabolical plans...)

Last edited:

hexgrid

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Obviously there's no tiered OGL, since the OGL is what it is. It can't be changed. (Or rather, if it's changed, anyone can just use a prior version and sidestep any changes they don't like.)

Obviously, the key point is whether or not there will be a tiered d20 STL.

Specificity would be appreciated. Unfortunately, at the moment Scott appears to be either (a) engaging in a bit of doublespeak or (b) misusing terms he should be more than familiar with.

Even if Scott is misusing the term OGL, this seems pretty specific:

Scott_Rouse said:
We are not looking to implement a tiered licensing structure.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
hexgrid said:
Even if Scott is misusing the term OGL, this seems pretty specific:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Rouse
We are not looking to implement a tiered licensing structure.

No, it's not specific. It's exactly as specific as, "We have no immediate plans to release 4e."

It's not specific because Scott is not ready to be specific. If he was, we would have a specific answer from WOTC as to the dispensation of the d20STL.

You can't make business decisions based on, "We are not looking to implement a tiered licensing structure."

Remove ads