S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Black

Rhun

First Post
hero4hire said:
"I don't like it. Giants are hornery cusses fer sure, and attackin' yer kinfolk taint that strange but all these diff'rent workin t'gether. Not just strange but unheard of! Somethin or Someone has got em riled."

"I agree with the small one," says Aeranduil, nodding toward the gnome. "I've spent many years hunting the foul likes of giants, and cooperation between different tribes only comes when someone has the necessary power to pull the tribes together. And anything powerful enough to pull various giant tribes together in the spirit of mutual cooperation should frighten us to our very core."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika Kevsecks, female gorebrute shifter druid

In Sharn, prior to the meeting...

The Last War had created many heroes, of many different kinds of war. And though the great battles were over, smaller ones, waged now more by spies, assassins, and diplomats dominated the scene. Not good news for a powerful nature scion with the subtlety of a lightning strike. Morika had felt herself to do great good in fighting for the Eldeen Reaches' freedom, but it wasn't something so easily set aside after the war ended.

She followed the gentle, beautiful Greensingers, the elf and fey-kin that inhabited the wilds of the forests, but she was not welcome amongs their inner conclaves. For good reason too, she was hardly one of them. A few of the moonspeakers had managed to penetrate that sacred circle, but Morika had been relieved not to have been invited. She would not have sullied their beauty with her presence.

So she had traveled, going from the wilds of the woods to the wilds of stone, lodging herself in Sharn after a time, finding work in dispatching natural menaces along the way, or bands of ruffians left over from the war. There was still work for her to do, but none of it had captured her imagination as her battles for the freedom of the Reaches had.

But this flier...

Nobles merchant houses and Xen'drik to boot? Now there's something worth doing. And mysterious as my dog's father, she thought with a harsh laugh, referring to an old joke about the mongrel dogs of the Reaches.

~~~~~~~

At the Meeting...

Morika looked about at the group as their potential employer broke the news. Some of them needed a strong hand in guarding, that was for fair. She only hoped they could fling their magic and arrows fast enough to avoid becoming paste. The Lyrander scion surprised her a bit, but with airship travel in the offing, it was comforting to know they'd be flying with an expert. Otherwise Morika would have thought about flying her own self!

Morika fancied herself the toughest in the room; for certain she was the ugliest and most scarred. Her heavy forehead and thick brown hair on her head, sideburns, forearms and shoulders marked her as a shifter, as did the hunched, nearly quadraped stance. Her nose had been broken more than once, and burn scars laced on shoulder. Claw marks tracked across the back of her left hand. In different to her employer, she showed no weapons, though bore a backpack easily. Her leather armor was well-worn and showed not a hint of damage, and she wore it with the air one might wear a suit of comfortable clothes.

"Fire, frost, hill giants, possible cloud and others, plus magic, and scorpions and possibly also the Emerald Claw? And you lost all those other people?" she asked rhetorically, her voice harsh as a crow's. She smiles, and it isn't a pleasent sight. "Sounds like a real fight. So, what're ya paying us, aside from these voucher bits? Vaguely generous doesn't get me on an airship, yer canny Lordship. And how long are you wanting us to search? I like a giant-infested jungle as much as the next fool, but I'd not want to be tramping around there from now until next Midsummer, ye ken?" Morika's use of the titles doesn't, quite, sounds insulting, but it's very clear she was raised far from any seat of power.

Rhun

First Post
Aeranduil frowns at scarred woman's mercantile considerations, and reaches up to brush a stray luck of lustrous copper-toned hair out of his face. He'd have to keep an eye on the shifter. Among the elves of his tribe, it was considered a high honor to serve the needs of the people. While fair compensation could always be expected, one did not expect great rewards for providing such service.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When the scion of House Tharashk nods at the dark halfork, there is no return reaction. If Yoggrith has any feelings one way or the other towards the man, he makes no indicaton. Instead, he just sits silently at the table staring off into space and listens with half an ear. For the others in the chamber when they look at him, it would appear as though he was sitting hunched in a darkened corner of the room... if it wasn't for the fact he sits up straight and is smack dab in the center of the table. Who knows what kind of deviltry might be causing this optical illusion, but the way he sits you'd be hard-pressed to figure out if he was just an anti-social lout or perhaps a bit touched in the head? In any event, he seems to barely perceive what is happening, until he opens his mouth to speak in a low voice (presumbly to the people in charge, but he makes no indication of who he is actually speaking to.)

"You have thus far sent two groups of eight supposedly trained journeymen of your House to Xen'drik to face these giants, and both have been slaughtered unmercifully. You now are sending a group of seven people you have hired randomly off the street in their place. It is therefore obvious you either do not wish this mission to succeed... or you are just stupid and do not learn from your mistakes."

The darkened halfork interlaces his fingers together and continues staring off into space.

"I will go along because it is the will of my Lord to do so... but I will definitely alert him before we leave the stupidity with which you humans and khoravars conduct your business. I should think this will be the last time you'll be able to hire and then throw away any of my Lord's retainers so casually."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika turns her sharp-toothed smile on the half-orc. He had taken other works right off of her tongue, and that amused her. Few were willing to speak uncomfortable truths, but this fellow did it well. He'd seem to be fair company. The others undoubtedly had their roles to play as well, but not on the front lines. They were far too pretty for that, and Morika had her self-appointed duty to preserve beauty. If, of course, they didn't of swamp fever the first week.

drothgery

First Post
"Well, I'd take seven Lyrandar Windwright Captains over eight Tharashk journeymen, and I have to think the rest of you are at least as good as me." Sanne said. "Tharashk and Medani weren't taking just anyone for this job."

hero4hire

Explorer
drothgery said:
"Well, I'd take seven Lyrandar Windwright Captains over eight Tharashk journeymen, and I have to think the rest of you are at least as good as me." Sanne said. "Tharashk and Medani weren't taking just anyone for this job."

Jaxel snorts. "I dunno if'n it be stupid to hire on expendable resources who can't cash in on thier pay if'n they die as opposed ta keep on sendin' yer own Kith and Kin. And o'course they showed a razor keen sense of judgement by findin' the best Tracker and Killer of Giants known to Gnomekind and wavin' some prize under his Gnose. Best to my recollection the only act o' stupidity I have seen is some windbag flappin his jaw while pretendin ta be a centerpiece at The King's feast-table.
Last time I saw a face like that sittin' on a table it had an apple in its mouth!"

pathfinderq1

First Post
Ipshivi listened and watched intently as questions and dissent made their way around the table. She had a high enough opinion of her own skill as a scout that there wasn't any doubt she'd accept the mission. If some of the others didn't want to go, well, that meant more treasure, more glory, more accomplishment for those who did go... She stood up on her chair, and leaned forward. "It's not like giants ain't got treasure- and whoever is behind this little alliance probably has even more. Not to mention the kind of reputation this kind of run could earn ya... Now let's get going, shall we. Those giants ain't getting any smaller or any dumber." Her voice was confident, even cheerful, but her phrasing was a bit odd, like a city dweller deliberately trying to sound rough and rustic...

s@squ@tch

First Post
Bendis' expression sours somewhat after the half-ork is finished.

"Your concern has merit. But allow me to give you some insight upon how the decision was reached to send out a public call for help.

Our seers have been devoted to this issue for several weeks, meditating from dusk to dawn, searching their visions for pieces to the mystery. They had recieved bits and pieces involving the two Tharashk parties that had been sent -- alas, it was far too late for us to help them and their House. It was only after the news reached our kin in Stormreach, were we able to put some of the pieces together.

Our seers have also seen bits and fragments of another group, that which did not bear the Mark of Finding, and that is the counsel we provided to Tharashk -- that we are to cast our net wide and far.

It has brought you to us.

Now, be advised, that the future is ever-changing, and although we constantly monitor it -- more information, can I not give at this time."

Bendis' frown disappears -- you follow his gaze, and you notice a younger half-elf, dressed in the House colors appear in the entrance you came in.

"This is Vortan, my nephew, if there are no further questions, he will take you to the airship dock, via the House transport sled."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases