Airwalkrr's Temple of Elemental Evil (IC)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Links
OOC Thread
Recruitment Thread
Rogue's Gallery

Introduction
Your party is now approaching the Village of Hommlet, having ridden up from lands of the Wild Coast. You are poorly mounted, badly equipped, and have no large sums of cash. In fact, all you have is what you wear and what you ride, plus the few coins that are hidden in purses and pockets. What you do possess in quantity, though, is daring and desire to become wealthy and famous. Thus your group comes to Hommlet to learn. Is this indeed a place for adventurers to seek their fortunes? You all hope, of course, to gain riches and make names for yourselves. The outcome of this is uncertain, but your skill and daring, along with a good measure of luck, will be the main ingredients of what follows, be it for weal or woe.

The small community at the crossroads is a completely unknown quantity. What is there? Who will be encountered? Where should you go? These are your first explorations and encounters, so chance may dictate as much as intelligence. Will outsiders be shunned? Are the reports true--is the whole community engaged in evil practices? Are the folk here bumpkins, easily duped? Does a curse lay upon those who dare to venture into the lands which were once the Temple's? All of these questions will soon be answered.

The dusty, rutted road is lined with closely-grown hedges of brambles and shrubs. Here and there it cuts through a copse or crosses a rivulet. To either hand, forest and meadow have given way to field and orchard. A small herd of kine graze nearby, and a distant hill is dotted with the wand stone chimneys with thin plumes of blue smoke rising from them. A road angles west into the hill country, and to either side of the road ahead are barns and buildings--Hommlet at last!

The adventure begins...

OOC: Your party begins on the road heading into Hommlet from the south, near building 1. You need not read the descriptions of each location unless you wish to investigate them. In fact, I recommend NOT reading the descriptions unless you do approach them.

[sblock=1: Prosperous Farm Cottage and Large Barn]This wood and plaster house is well kept, and the barn beyond is bulging with hay, grain, and so forth. Several fat animals are about. Two large farm dogs bark at your approach, and a rosy-cheeked goodwife appears at the doorway.[/sblock]
[sblock=2: Modest Farmhouse and Barn]Clean but slightly run-down buildings indicate that this farm is not very prosperous. However, the stock appears quite healthy and plump. An active lad of 12 or so is doing chores. Nothing apears of particular interest.[/sblock]
[sblock=3: Cottage]This rustic abode rests by a stream in a small grove of trees. It is unremarkable.[/sblock]
[sblock=4: Well-Kept Farm]The house and barn show that this farmer is doing well, and the stock in the fenced-in yard are very fine-looking. You see a fetching feminine face in a window.[/sblock]
[sblock=5: Prosperous Farmhouse]This large home is fine-looking and well-kept. The owner of this dwelling is apparently well-off.[/sblock]
[sblock=6: House with Leather Hide Tacked to Front Door]This building appears to serve as both a home and place of business. A sign in front of the door indicates a leather-worker lives here.[/sblock]
[sblock=7: Large Building with Sign]The square wooden sign shows a buxom and smiling girl holding a flagon of beer. This must be the Inn of the Welcome Wench, a place renowned for its good food and excellent drink! Passing merchants make a point of stopping, as do many other sorts of wayfarers, and it is said that the place is always filled with patrons.[/sblock]
[sblock=8: Open Shed and House Behind]Horseshoes are nailed to three faces of the post in front of this shed, and within sit a forge and bellows. This is obviously the smithy. A short but brawny man is vigorously pounding away at a piece of red-hot iron.[/sblock]
[sblock=9: New Building]There is no one here. The doors are unlocked, and a few benches and stools stand by the bare walls, with a large, plain table at th far end of the room. A tapestry on the back wall shows a green field with two acorns above a sheaf of grain--the banner of Hommlet.[/sblock]
[sblock=10:Well-Kept Dwelling with a Sign]The wooden sign on this building depicts a bag of wool and a loom. This is apparently the home and workplace of a weaver.[/sblock]
[sblock=11: Cottage]This simple dwelling is unremarkable.[/sblock]
[sblock=12: Average Farm Building]This simple dwelling is unremarkable, but appears to house a fairly large family.[/sblock]
[sblock=13: Wooden Bulding with Shuttered Windows]Outside the door, a shield and lantern are suspended from chains. The shield is painted, showing a sword and a cheese. This is the local trading post, wherein a merchant apparently provides for the needs of villagers, travellers and adventurers alike.[sblock=Inside]The whole front of the building is filled with various goods. The barn has animals, saddles, and the like available to any willing to pay the price.

Both traders claim disinterest in all alignments, proclaiming that they happily deal with anyone who is a paying customer. Furthermore, they say, they will gladly buy any items which you happen upon, and pay a fair price too![/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=14: Weatherbeaten Building and Barn]A wooden sign on this building shows a cart and horse, indicating that this is the domicile and quarters of the local carter.[/sblock]
[sblock=15: Sturdy New Building with a Sign]The sign displays three yellow balls; this must be the moneychanger's. A guard in chain mail stands by the door, wearing a sword and cradling a light crossbow in his arms, with a quarrel ready. Two large dogs are sniffing in your direction.[/sblock]
[sblock=16: Small House with Sign]The nicely painted sign shows a painted shield and a chest of drawers.[/sblock]
[sblock=17: Modest Cottage]A potter here is busily engaged in the manufacture of various sorts of dishes and vessels.[/sblock]
[sblock=18: Typical Cottage and Imposing Stone Building with a Barrel Hanging from Chains]From the barley-esque scent wafting towards you, this building apparently serves as a local brew house.[/sblock]
[sblock=19: Modest Cottage]Three dogs guard this isolated dwelling, the home of a herdsman and his flock. The approach to the home seems fraught with peril, as if the owner did not wish to make it accessible to visitors.[/sblock]
[sblock=20: Church of St. Cuthbert]This newly built edifice is of picturesque splendor. Decorated with white marble and stained glass, it serves as a magnificent worship place for locals of the faith.[/sblock]
[sblock=21: Cottage and Large Barns]These obviously well-kept buildings are obviously those of a cowherd, and a particular odor is quite noticeable in the area.[/sblock]
[sblock=22: Mill and Attached Home]This mill house and adjacent home are served by a large rotating water wheel that turns from the power of a passing stream.[/sblock]
[sblock=23: Cottage and Small Barn]This home sits on the far edge of town and is unremarkable, save that it does not appear to be a very successful farm.[/sblock]
[sblock=24: The Grove]This is obviously a place of worship. The trees are neatly pruned, and the grass is well tended. A carefully placed line of bluish stones sets off the path leading to a rock carin where flowers, nuts, berries, and garlands of leaves are placed. A small path leads beyond the shrine to a low-roofed wooden building placed under the great boughs of the central oaks of the copse.[/sblock]
[sblock=25: Large Barn and Connected Home]This place is obviously that of a herdsman. A flock of sheep are penned out back.[/sblock]
[sblock=26: Barn-Like House with a Wheel Nailed to a Post]This is the residence and shop of the local wheel and wainwright.[/sblock]
[sblock=27: Walled Manor House]This place has an eight foot high stone wall and a heavy gate. It is obviously the residence of some well-to-do folk, and easily defensible in times of trouble.[/sblock]
[sblock=28: Large New Building]The sign before this place shows a saw and hammer. The building appears newly constructed.[/sblock]
[sblock=29: Stone House]This well-crafted stone dwelling seems recently built. It is set off from the road by a low stone wall. No animals are seen, but some children are playing in the yard.[/sblock]
[sblock=30: Double Fieldstone Walls Filled with Earth]Here are the beginnings of a small castle, being built around a new tower atop the low mound. Workers have dug deep trench lines about ten feet wide and as deep, down to a hard clay. They seem to be in the process of mortaring the foundations of the wall to be built above. Work has barely begun, but the outlines of bastions, towers, a gatehouse and a keep can be noted.

The keep is atop the second hillock, and considerable excavation has taken place. The earth from this digging has been used in the walls around the whole. Some dressed stone blocks are visible, but not similar to local stone.[/sblock]
[sblock=31: Two-Storied Tower]This structure is some 55 feet tall, a smaller tower rising inside the greater at about 35 feet above the ground. Its entrance is accessible only by going up a curving flight of stone stairs which terminate in a landing about 10 feet above the ground. The outer door is of the tower lowers to form a bridge to the stone landing. There are numbers of arrow slits around the tower, and it has a splay around the base to about 6 feet in height.

The lower and upper battlements are machicolated, the merlons being pierced for archery as well. Two men-at-arms watch from its roof.[/sblock]
[sblock=32: Tents and Wattle Huts]Some dozen temporary shelters are along the edge of this copse of trees.[/sblock]
[sblock=33: Overgrown Track]This leads off into the rugged hills and tangled scrub above the town.[/sblock]

Attachments

• map 1 from hommlet to nulb.jpg
    map 1 from hommlet to nulb.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 263
  • map 2 the village of hommlet.jpg
    map 2 the village of hommlet.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 281
Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Vicroar returns from scouting ahead and slips back into the party quietly, There are several houses and farms ahead. The houses seem to differ greatly, although I did not scout them out. He walks along with the group the rest of the way into the town.

Redclaw

First Post
A true dwarf through and through, Dolan finds two buildings before even looking at the rest of the town. The first is the smithy, and the second is the tavern. Luckier than any dwarf has a right to hope, he discovers them side by side, and approaches the smith first.
As he approaches, he pauses to wait until he's sure his arrival won't interfere with the smith's work, then speaks loudly and confidently, Greetings, good smith. I am Dolan, son of Danath. It is good to see that the folk of Hommlet give proper respect to the iron-bound arts.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Aredal had joined this group of fellow adventurers a few days earlier on the road. It seemed as though everyone was going to Hommlet to investigate the rumours. Already he had grown to like his new friends. He looks at the elf returning and cheerfully answers: "Well then, I think we should go and see how these good folk around here like strangers. I hope were in for a warm welcome." As a priest of one of the most loved gods of the land, it was unusual for Aredal to be greeted badly, but he knew that some villages scorned strangers no matter who they were, so he wouldn't be too dissappointed if they weren't greeted with open arms.

Voda Vosa

First Post
The gnome remains on the rear, looking with suspicious eyes to the people they pass by. His father told him that humans in this town were not like the others. What would that mean, remains a mystery to him, but it was better to be prepared. His hands were moving nervously.

Brachna

First Post
Drynethael eyes the farmhouses suspiciously as he makes his way into the tiny town. It is obvious by his demeanor that he is uneasy in these lands. His piercing blue eyes turn to Aredal, "Let us hope it is as you say, that they are indeed welcoming of strangers. Though I would keep my guard up, if I were you, Aredal. My Order believes that the agents of the Temple are active again, and it's entirely possible they've already sent out spies amid the populace." Drynethael stops a moment to shift the weight of his travelling satchel to a more comfortable position. "Still, it would be nice to find a warm, dry bed for a change. I don't know about you, but I've been on the road for far too long." He continues with the rest of the party down the main thoroughfare, such as it is.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Redclaw said:
Greetings, good smith. I am Dolan, son of Danath. It is good to see that the folk of Hommlet give proper respect to the iron-bound arts.

The black-bearded smith takes a brief pause from his work and wipes his brow. He reaches out to shake the Dolan's hand. Greetings, Dolan, he says with a smile, I am known as Brother Smyth. What is it that brings a dwarf to our fair town? We don't see much of the stout folk in these parts.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Vicroar smiles as he sees the dwarf interact with the dirty smithy. Dwarfs amazed him, as did humans. His race was constantly underestimating them. Vicroar agreed with his races' comments on the dwarven race, but did not truly share his elven brothers views on interacting with them. Dwarfs were dirty, ugly, and gross, but he loved them. He had witnessed the courage and loyalty of a dwarf. It amazed him.

He shook his head, smiled, and continued walking.

Redclaw

First Post
Dolan's face turns a bit less animated at the question. I am far from home, it's true. I journey to see the world beyond my mountain tunnels, and to make some gold in the process. Speaking of which, if you need an extra set of hands at any point, I've some skill with armor, he indicates his own set of scale mail, and I could put the extra coin to good use.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Well, if you're looking to make some gold, I understand there have been problems with bandits to the east and there might be a reward for dealing with them. Perhaps if you were to speak with one of our elders, Jaroo Ashstaff, he could tell you more. You can find him in the grove in the south part of town. Anything else I could help you with? Brother Smyth asks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases