Class Level dependant powers/abilites vs Character Level Talents

Phasics

First Post
One thing that pains me in 3e/3.5e was the class level dependent abilities , probably the most obvious case is spell casting but there are many others. Now prestige classes somewhat get around some of these issues but it just gets all a bit messy taking 3 level of this 1 of this 8 of this etc etc before you know it your pseudo powergamming your character when all you wanted to do was add some flavor. (I say pseudo because you need to maximize it to simply have it come close to a single class equivalent)

Say I wanted to make a brawly character who could turn into a bear at will , fly into a rage as a bear, and when really angry breathe a fireball into a battle. Thats it that all the special powers I need for him I have a backstory and know how I want to play it, so now I go about building it.
Okay brawler, so fighter, no wait barb better option for rage, ok, need shapeshifting hrmm ok take druid, but I'll need 5 levels of that before I can be a bear, how about polymorphing , mmm I'll need 8-9 caster levels for that , well you need at least 6 for a fireball, true but it dosent last very long, true
So how does this sound
Barbarian 1/ Druid 5/ Sorcerer 6

Yep you can now play that character once you reach level 12, will be too weak to stand in a fight, your bear form will seem like a a rodent, you fireballs will mostly do sweet bugger all damage and that when they arnt being magically resisted. Not to mention you'll have a dozen or more spell that you had no intention of ever using.
So instead you'd spend a week making a new base class or prestige class and jump on line to find your post is one of many making their own custom classes.

Enter the Talents
Far from the perfect solution but might get us closer t our goal with less hassle.
Ok Brawler again Barbarian, take the basic Rage from the "Inhuman strength tree" at 1st level. Ok cool now we need to be a bear take Druid at second level "Animal Shapeshifting Tree" take "Large sized animal"....wait it has a prereq "Medium sized animal" ok maybe we can be a youth/adolecent bear , level 3 and 4 take druid second druid talent taking large animal , ok now I can be a big bear. Right now fireball ok Sorcerer "Evocation Spell Tree" Fireball wait it also has a prereq "Burning Hands" what that? looks like a 15ft fire cone does 1 d 4/char level. that pretty close ok take that we can just assume flame comes from my mouth not my hand ok ? sure why not .
Barb1/Druid3/Sorc1 (I have my RP char medium bear a level 2 (large at lv4) and flame breathe at level 5)

Now I doubt it would be as clean as that but you get the idea it gives flexibility without being overpowering and would scale up with your charcter

FireLance

Legend
Phasics said:
Enter the Talents
Far from the perfect solution but might get us closer t our goal with less hassle.
Ok Brawler again Barbarian, take the basic Rage from the "Inhuman strength tree" at 1st level. Ok cool now we need to be a bear take Druid at second level "Animal Shapeshifting Tree" take "Large sized animal"....wait it has a prereq "Medium sized animal" ok maybe we can be a youth/adolecent bear , level 3 and 4 take druid second druid talent taking large animal , ok now I can be a big bear. Right now fireball ok Sorcerer "Evocation Spell Tree" Fireball wait it also has a prereq "Burning Hands" what that? looks like a 15ft fire cone does 1 d 4/char level. that pretty close ok take that we can just assume flame comes from my mouth not my hand ok ? sure why not .
Barb1/Druid3/Sorc1 (I have my RP char medium bear a level 2 (large at lv4) and flame breathe at level 5)
You know, if you created a "Raging Shapeshift" talent tree (prerequisite: rage), you could cut out the druid levels entirely (and "update" the 3e Bear Warrior PrC, too). ;)

Gothic_Demon

First Post
Phasics said:
Say I wanted to make a brawly character who could turn into a bear at will , fly into a rage as a bear, and when really angry breathe a fireball into a battle. Thats it that all the special powers I need for him I have a backstory and know how I want to play it, so now I go about building it.
How about, Druid 5/Sor 1 (Use Burning Hands instead of Fireball)? RP the rage bit (as bears are quite big and nasty anyway), and breathing fire is much like breathing fireballs. Take the feat that adds to your sorcerer caster level and you're pretty much set.

Or is that not the build you were after?

Edit -- If you have the right books, use lesser fire orb, and you get your fireballs too!

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Want it low-powered? Take two levels barbarian (for that raging and +2 BAB), 4 levels of sorcerer (for Lesser Fire Orb and 2nd level spells), add the Combat Casting Feat, one level of Rage Mage (Complete Warrior) for Spell Rage, and one level of the Werebear lycanthrope class from Dragon #313 (for the alternative form), and you're set. Turn into a bear at will, rage even in bear form, spit a ball of fire while enraged, ECL 8 with a BAB of at least +6, a handful of spells (that you can simply adapt to your character, like taking Truestrike, Lesser Fire Orb, Enlarge (1st) and Bull's Strength (2nd)) that can feed into your character theme, and the chance to really develop the combo further if you want, or simply continue with barbarian from then on. :) You might take a slight hit to your XP because of the diverse levels, but you got your character concept with no "trash" abilities on the side, and it's way below 12th level.

Li Shenron

Legend
If you stay withing published stuff, there are only two options, both of which have their own problem. Either the abilities from the multiclassing combination are level based, and you have the problem that some remain too weak to be effective; or you have multiclassing rules that will allow a character to dip into another class (say wizard) for a spell, and be immediately as good (with that spell only) as someone who's been a wizard since day 1.

I think the best way to deal with these problems is to remember that the game is open for custom design. If you want to play a concept that the published rules don't support, work with your DM and design it yourself. :)

delericho

Legend
Phasics said:

Half-dragon (red) Barbarian 1/Druid X. Fudge the character's appearance so he looks human or near-human (appearance is fluff detail after all), and you've basically got the character you want.

I believe there's also a Bear Warrior prestige class in one of the books.

However, to address your larger issue: it's a feature of the system (and indeed any system). There are a number of things that the designers foresaw that someone would want to do, and an infinitely larger number that they did not. They built the system so it does a reasonable job on some subset of the options they foresaw, and so it can be extended to cover other areas. If you want to do something offbeat (such as your fire-breathing bear warrior), you'll basically have to extend the system yourself to do that.

But, this is true of every system out there. The designers <i>cannot</i> foresee every eventuality, and even if they could they couldn't build a game that would make them all possible and all balanced. The best that can be hoped for is that the game engine is designed to be easily extensible, by adding new feats/talents/classes until the desired combinations are available.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Oh, I dunno...he could play GURPS or HERO instead, one of the game systems where you buy your own custom-made hero through building points. :) I bet he'd find everything he needs there.

Bear Warrior from Complete Warrior, indeed...that can replace the Werebear level nicely. :)

Last edited:

Phasics

First Post
And here I was thinking I was asking what you guys thought about class level dependent ability progression vs character level dependent abilities.

heheh thanks for the character build suggestions but not really what I as interested in hehehe. :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases