Death in Freeport

Voadam

Legend
Dear Friend,

I need help from outside of the Athenaeum and you are one of the few people I can turn to. If you can, please meet me at the tavern called the Bilge Rat down at the docks around supper time. I am trying to gather together all the help I can. I will explain there as it is a confidential matter.

Sincerely in Trust
Brother Egil​

You each recieved such a letter delivered by a local street runner around noon.

Erekose13

Explorer
Dogrynn looked up from the drink in his hand to the letter in front of him and nodded slightly. Then looked around, no where better for him to see Brother Egil than right here where he would normally hang out. Perhaps some would consider it sad that a man was drinking in an almost empty bar at noon, Dog just considered it proper after the short run of good luck he'd had recently. The letter mentioned a few people, Dog had always wondered if Egil knew others like him, perhaps now he'd get a chance to find out soon. With little else to do today, Dog sat around in the Bilge Rat chatting up the few patrons as they came in.

Shayuri

First Post
It was during one of her infrequent, all-too-short breaks, hiding in an alcove in the kitchen, that Arcata recieved the missive from Egil. Though it was a welcome thought to see him again, she sighed in resignation at the venue.

Working all day at a tavern...now I'm going to another afterward. And a dirtier one than this to boot...

"GWEN!"

The voice of the innkeeper, Ras Palfoot. Her employer. Not a cruel man or a bad one, he just resented the fact that employees expected to be paid, and was constantly making sure that he was getting his money's worth.

In short, break over.

Arcata adjusted her apron and went back out from the little alcove in the kitchen to serve some drinks.

Voadam

Legend
There is the usual afternoon attendees in the Rat as Dogrynn wiles away the time, out of work drunks mostly. Some complain about the orcs the Sea Lord has brought in as cheap labor for his lighthouse project who they blame for taking their jobs and increased crime. Others talk of the ships coming in and due to be sailing out, the Viper's Strike, the Swift Lady, and the Bloody Vengeance. There is a lot of grousing about how everything is going to Hell, not like the old days.

The Bilge Rat is as charming a place as the name suggests, but the beer is better than one would suspect.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Rikki saunters over to Dog (well, his version of a saunter which has more of a random bobbing and weaving quality to it than most) and clamps a bony hand on the sibbecai's shoulder, "Awight, Dog me ol' mucker; whassat yer got there? Looks like a wossname, letter, innit?" he says in a friendly tone.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Aidan Turandal strides into the Bilge Rat stopping just inside the door. Peering about the room, he locates an empty table that gives him a good view of the door and the bar. Moving over to the table, he grabs a chair that puts most of his back towards a wall, and then motions for the serving wench to bring him a beer.

G

Guest 11456

Grockuprim

The beast received the note in the middle of his shift and thus, having developed a strong work ethic from his mentor Brother Egil, placed it in his pocket and continued to work. As it neared supper time his shift had finally ended and he retrieved the note from his pocket and looked it over. Unfortunately his reading skills weren't quite up to par and it took several minutes for him to dicipher it before he could even begin to read it.

Hmmm. So! Brother Egil has need of me. I suppose I can go. His stomach growls and he grimaces at the sound. Perhaps I can get a free supper out of it, too. He smiles and walks the three blocks to the Bilge Rat. Once there he enters and looks around for the good brother.

Voadam

Legend
Heading down through the docks the action there is mesmerizing. There are ships in port from all over the world, carrying every manner of exotic goods. Sailors and merchants of various races and backgrounds mingle on the wharves, with money changing hands so fast you can barely follow. The foreign cadences of transactions conducted in various languages adds to the atmosphere.

The Bilge Rat is not hard to find in the more run down section of the docks. As evening approaches more clientelle appear, predominately dockworkers and down and out sailors. Most of the sailors flush with shore leave wages find other livelier venues. There are pockets of conversation among the patrons of the Bilge Rat but plenty of tables in dark corners for those wishing more solitude to brood over their drinks.

Shayuri

First Post
A mean looking man with a scar across his left eye scans the street up and down before pulling the hood of his cloak up and pausing in front of the Bilge Rat's door. As tempting as it was to see if the good Brother would see through this little glamour, Arcata decided to let it slip. The letter had implied more than one person, and for all she knew there really was someone like this among them. Awkward.

The 'man' changed fairly little if viewed from behind. He had been slim as well. The change in body shape was concealed by the cloak, the change to her hair and head by the hood. The chiseled assassin's face though melted into something altogether more comely before she pushed the door open and entered the tavern.

Once inside, she chose an empty table and waited, shoulders hunched a bit and hood still tugged forward to conceal her face. A face too pretty in the wrong place was as much a curse as a monstrous visage, she'd discovered...

Voadam

Legend
The party is scattered about the room when Brother Egil walks through the entrance to the Bilge Rat, his robes, unbound brown hair and short beard marking the friendly young scholar immediately to your eyes. He stops and glances around the room which has filled somewhat more, a grateful smile breaks upon his face as he spies each of you in turn. He looks around over the room again consideringly then waves pointing over to Arcata's table as more sailors enter behind him through the entrance.

Arcata is in a far corner, her hood still up.

Dogrynn is sitting at the bar with another patron and Rikki, the fortune teller trying to get information about his friend's letter.

Aidan is at a side table with a good view of the door, his back mostly to a wall.

GrokCuprim, having not seen his friend when he first came in sat at an empty table. Most of the patrons gave the large copper-scaled orc a wide berth.

Two of the sailors walk right up behind Egil and quickly raise saps which they bring down upon his head with a loud smack, causing the bookish young man to collapse on the bar room floor like a sack of grain.

Another sailor, a toothless man with tattooed knuckles jumps up onto the nearest table and gives a crooked smile shouting out "Ahoy! Ye've all just volunteered for an exciting life at sea. Now, do ye want to go the easy way or te hard way?"

The sailors who entered are a rough looking lot, scarred and crusty looking men with no longer concealed saps in their hands and belaying pins in their sashes or hanging from belts. A half dozen have entered now and it appears there might be more outside.

The man next to Dogrynn shouts in horror "Press gang!" and flings himself off the bench making sure the sword wielding sibeccai is between him and the sailors as he frantically looks around for an exit. There are not many good options, the kitchens and owner's quarters behind the bar, a small window on one of the side walls, stairs leading to a set of rooms upstairs.

Most of the patrons panic and make a rush for the kitchens or the stairs.

Initiative! And round 1 actions.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases