Monte's World of Darkness - magic system?

GlassJaw

Hero
Does anyone have Monte's WoD? I've heard some interesting things about the magic system. Can someone give me a quick overview of it? Thanks!

Particle_Man

Explorer
I don't have it with me at work, but the basic idea is a spell point system where you build the different components of the spell you want to cast. You then make a DC (skill?) roll to cast it successfully. The latter stops the NOVA effect, since that would set to high the DC for a spell that used all your spell points up for the day.

In addition, there is a fatigue rule - every spell you cast makes further spells harder to cast that day. This stops the "millions of mini-spells" effect to some degree.

Some people really really like it, and even use it apart from the rest of the rules.

GlassJaw

Hero
Particle_Man said:
Some people really really like it, and even use it apart from the rest of the rules.

Yeah, that would be my motivation as well. Sounds similar to other skill-based systems: True Sorcery, Elements of Magic, etc.

Are you familiar with any of those systems? How does MCWoD differ?

Klaude dOrien

First Post
I've had a brief look at the magic chapter. "Brief" because I got discouraged.

fundamentally I don't think it adds much to the approach in Elements of Magic or True Sorcery, especially if you're thinking of taking it out of the WoD setting.

Freeform systems like those are all prone to broken combos and from my brief read of the magic chapter I thought MCWoD was no different, perhaps moreso.

so if you've got elements of magic or true sorcery I'm not sure you'll get much extra value

Particle_Man

Explorer
I think the DC is good for stopping the Nova effect of some point-based systems. Adn the fatigue rule stops the "infinite little spells" issue too.

I don't know of True Sorcery so can't comment.

And yes, a point based component system, like all other point based component systems, will have broken combos the DM has to watch out for. It is the nature of the beast, as there are simply too many possible combinations.

But hey, I like Warlocks from Complete Arcane. :)

I've got it. I like it. The spell system allows you to cast a lot of little effects all day long. As you get better, these become moderate effects. You can generate a whopping boom (if you make your roll) or several moderate booms, but it eventually catches up with you. The only major glitch I've seen so far is that you need to modify the component rules so you can't cast a spell that generates more components than you add in. (Components don't mean spiders and bat guano and eyelashes in gum arabic. They refer to limitations like increased casting time.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking of using my 40% discount coupon on Monte Cook's World of Darkness OGL. Anybody thoroughly reviewed the product and if so, is it worth getting it despite the $50 retail price tag?

Skywalker

Adventurer
I highly recommend the book.

The magic system is well thought out. It is a free form point based system without being too complex. It has some nice built in checks and balances that remove most of the potential for abuse. Also, there are enough rotes/spells in the book to pretty much limit the use of free form casting if that is preferred.

It is too big to comment on in much detail but I am happy to answer specific questions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases