Folding@Home EN World Team!

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I know this has been around for a while, but it's "new to me", so I thought I would share and see what kind of interest I could generate.

I got the idea to create an EN World Team from the Giant in the Play Ground forums. Below is a synopsis posted there:

"For those who don't know what Folding@Home is, here is a brief run-down:
In a nut shell, it is a distributed computing project working towards scientific research to prevent and cure disease. Basically, the researchers need a big giant computer to do some very complex mathematical calculations. That of course costs a lot of money, money they don't have as they are a non-profit organisation and all research will be published freely for everyone. So, instead, they organize thousands of people to have their personal computers run small fractions of the calculations in the computer's spare time, when it wouldn't be doing anything anyway."

Almost everyone here at ENWorld has a computer, and most should have plenty of CPU cycles to spare. I am going to download the client tonight and start processing!

The GitPG link above also has lots of good information on the different clients available.

To join the EN World Team at Folding@home, enter the Team# 93754 when you install/set up the client. This will let our combined results be tracked together.

Links
Find out more about Folding@Home (homepage)
Results Folding@Home has already had
Download Folding@Home
EN_World Team Page

Post here if you like the idea, or just sign up! I will try and do monthly updates in this thread to show progress and keep this in the spotlight :)

Last edited:

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Well, I've completed 3 work units in the last week; but it's lonely out here :(

Anyone interested in this at all? If not, I will likely join the GitPG team, just to be a part of something bigger.

Peace,

Brian
<><

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I use BOINC, but not Folding@Home. I prefer to help out the malaria cause, though I also run Seti@Home (it's a classic! I ran it well before BOINC took it over).

BOINC is a program that can run multiple such projects. You can choose as many or as few projects to donate your computer time to as you wish.

Last edited:

Good work for those that have joined the ENW team, myself I am already with the Overclockers Australia team- sitting in 2nd place. We have a see-saw rivalry with [H]ard|ocp; nice for an Australasian group to be competing with the US! (see my sig; 533 w/u).
I hope more people join, just leave your PC on 24/7, it doesn't effect the performance of any programs or games- (although will cost a bit in electricity).
Fold on, Dudes!

Simplicity

Explorer
I used to work for one of the big distributed computing companies.
We directly competed with Seti@Home and Folding@Home for computing power.
Just wouldn't feel right signing up for it now, but the idea was always a great one.
But we did find a new Mersenne prime so that was pretty cool. Nothing quite
like having a 9152052 digit number on your wall.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases