SPELLS of 4th edition - Mearls blog

in mike mearls blogpost he present 3 new spell for a npc wizard of a 4th edition campaign
http://www.gleemax.com/Comms/Pages/Communities/BlogPost.aspx?blogpostid=22938&pagemode=2&blogid=8838
++++++++++++++++

Burne's Phantasmal Flame: Target bursts into illusory flames, taking psychic damage each round and forced into a panic. Runs around randomly, uses actions to beat at "flames". Can't attack or do much, but actually gets defense bonus equivalent to total defense action (he's zipping around like a man on fire, so a little harder to hit).
Burne's Cloak of Brilliance: Spell wreathes caster in cloak of pure light. Anyone who attacks him is blinded for one round. Also makes a very impressive evening wear outer garment.
Burne's Radiant Charger: Steed of radiant energy appears in your or ally's space, acts as mount, has charge attack. Also useful for parading around town, impressing the heck out of everyone.
(I'm playing Burne as urbane, sophisticated, vain, and clever. I hope his spells reflect that.)

Comments
Posted by WotC Mearls on 11/16/2007 9:39:51 AM
It's a 4e game. Glad you like 'em.

+++++++++++++++++++++

mhensley

First Post
Neat spells, but note that these were created for his campaign and don't have rules yet so they probably will not be in the phb.

Psychic damage? I wonder if that is a standard damage type in 4e.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Aloïsius said:
No rules, just concepts... And, IIRC, those are not 4e spells, but Mearls to be house-ruled spells...
Yeah, house spells -but they have a neat concept.

But more importantly, we DO learn something about it:

1) 4E may or may not be able to accomodate that "illusory damage" problem (i.e. is "psychic damage fancy description or a real damage descriptor?)
2) Wizards can learn/research these kinds of spells (i.e. personal, individual spells), or at least have the ability to have individual spells, not just certain "powers". So we can houserule back stuff from 3.5E that gets killed in 4E.

Cheers, LT.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I like the phantasmal flames idea. Good illusionist variant of hold person, without it being a save-or-die spell.
Seems pretty similar to shadow spells -- you make the illusion so real that they believe it enough to be hurt by it. I don't have a problem with it, either; it could be interesting to see the idea applied to more of the Illusion school than a couple of catch-all pseudo-spells. That could also tie into Warlord inspiration speeches as healing, I suppose.

Remove ads