D&D is so METAL

Stone Dog

Adventurer
I forget where I got this, but here you go.

"Consider this ... the 4e default campaign is "points of light in a dark, dangerous world." (sounds grim). Orcus is on the cover of the new Monster Manual. Paladins can be any alignment (um, meaning evil). The PH cover shows the return of hookerplate boobmail. They're getting rid of gnomes. Armored Beholders. Asmodeus is a god. Half-demon (excuse me, tieflings) PC races -- like here and, um yes, here: the hot demon chick. I mean christ, even the dwarves are hot! Tell me, isn't it just plain wrong that dwarves are now hot!? Aren't they suppose to have beards?

Is this the most METAL version of D&D ever?

I say, rock on, D&D designers, may you place the devil horns upon every page. I, for one, am celebrating this by vowing upon the altar of Iron Maiden insanity that my first 4e campaign is going to be "totally metal." Players must make totally metal characters. They cannot be just some rogue -- they must be "a pirate from the Seas of Blood!" They can't be just a fighter -- they must be "an axe-wielding warrior encrusted with the splattered brains of his enemies". Barbarians will have names like "Skullgrim Thorkrusher" and clerics will follow "Gorgoth the God of Blood & Gore!" or the black tentacles of Ktulu.

I'm beginning to write up my campaign world now. There's gonna Black Metal Knights, and a land of frost and Vikings, and a city of Goths. It's gonna be a world of might makes right, Frazetta posters, and rivers of blood. Let the metal madness begin. I will be waiting for you 4e with my Viking hat in hand."

\mm/ Too much metal for one hand.

D&D could use more metalness again.

Enough with the "Hail and well met fair traveller, let us have a nice cup of mulled wine and warm ourselves by the fire, and regale me with tales of your adventures in the Softwood, snivel, snivel" and more "BY FIRELIGHT WE HEWED OUR WAY THROUGH THE STENTORIAN HORDES IN THE INFERNAL ABYSS OF DRAUGORTHORAX. MANY A WEAKLING FELL BY OUR AXE AND SWORD UNTIL WE WERE KNEE DEEP IN BLOOD AND ICHOR. THEN, AND ONLY THEN WERE. WE. ABLE. TO. ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKKKKK!!!!"

Not that I'm really a metal fan myself (lots of friends I know are). But sometime, I think in the presentation, D&D needs some more "RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGGGH!!!"

Or something.

:p

Clavis

First Post
My AD&D campaign in High School had PCs named after metal bands and musicians (other characters were named for figures in horror and action movies). The intermixing of the thrash/death/black/power/speed metal scene and D&D was definitely there.

That was back when D&D totally ruled and did not suck! Nobody asked about things like attacks of opportunity; the players just wanted to know if the the monster's guts got spilled all over the place, if there was enough gold for the PCs to steal, and if there were pretty whores waiting for them back in town.

redmagerush

First Post
Just to spite this my first 4e game is either going to be diy punk rock based or snobby intellectual elite indie rock based.

Take that metal.

redmagerush said:
Just to spite this my first 4e game is either going to be diy punk rock based or snobby intellectual elite indie rock based.

Take that metal.

"I call upon Cat Power to let the orcs know that wasn't very cool."

"My warforged, Ladytron, is going to go up to the sea hags and compare knit scarves."

Remove ads