Dragonborn/Tiefling- which campaign setting?

Frawan

First Post
Hi

Since Dragonborn and Tieflings are now part of the core-books, would anyone care to explain which campaign settings they will fit into? I mean - I have not heard about Dragonborn in the FR nor in a lot of the other settings. Does this mean that we will se a new setting with 4E, just as we had Eberron in 3E? One that totally encompasses the ideas of "points of light" and the two new races?

I don't know much about other settings except for FR, but could someone tell me if this fits well into Dragonlance, Eberron etc.... And if not - what do you think WOTC is up to with those new races? They are not going to add two new races without having a setting that is ideal for trying out the new stuff. :uhoh:

Najo

First Post
Frawan said:
Hi

Since Dragonborn and Tieflings are now part of the core-books, would anyone care to explain which campaign settings they will fit into? I mean - I have not heard about Dragonborn in the FR nor in a lot of the other settings. Does this mean that we will se a new setting with 4E, just as we had Eberron in 3E? One that totally encompasses the ideas of "points of light" and the two new races?

I don't know much about other settings except for FR, but could someone tell me if this fits well into Dragonlance, Eberron etc.... And if not - what do you think WOTC is up to with those new races? They are not going to add two new races without having a setting that is ideal for trying out the new stuff. :uhoh:

Well, without reimaging they don't really fit into the settings, except for planescape and maybe spelljammer due to the scope of those settings. These two races really don't fit into Dark Sun or Ravenloft.

What I think they are doing is rebuilding a new core setting based on their own ideas of what is good to give D&D players to see the scope of the game. This is replacing the greyhawk as core idea of 3.0. So, instead of the great wheel, the blood war, the grey hawk gods, the greyhawk named wizards, etc. they are going to use sampling of their settings and good materials that allow for a broad number of campaigns to pull from them what they want.

With that said, I think the new forgotten realms will use as much of the new core as possible, maybe all of it. I think the other campaign setting products won't do that though, and instead will cut out and add material to build the campaign setting properily.

Rechan

Adventurer
Tieflings are all ready in the various settings. In FR, there's actually a lot of tieflings - and demon/elf and demon/orc races. In Eberron, they're all ready present - in the Demon Wastes and Droaam, in particular - but Keith Baker, the designer of Eberron has suggested that Tieflings for 4e may have planar association - children born when a certain plane was in line with the area, and the plane associated with them effects their personality.

I imagine that the various Established Campaigns will either incorporate them very sparingly, or just not really try to encorporate them all that much.

broghammerj

Explorer
They don't fit into any campaign I've ever played in. If they were there, it was only as an anomaly. Now that they are in core, it may be a sign that the game is passing me by.

Li Shenron

Legend
FR will probably just have them spring out of the spellplague.

Every major setting, including 3rd party settings that wants to update to 4e, needs to allocate a space for them in the same way that it was before with half-orcs and monks for instance.

Najo

First Post
broghammerj said:
They don't fit into any campaign I've ever played in. If they were there, it was only as an anomaly. Now that they are in core, it may be a sign that the game is passing me by.

or you can not use them. Pretty simple. I hate gnomes for example. NEVER use them...HATE them. Hence, cut them out of the games I run. There ya go.

Najo

First Post
Li Shenron said:
FR will probably just have them spring out of the spellplague.

Every major setting, including 3rd party settings that wants to update to 4e, needs to allocate a space for them in the same way that it was before with half-orcs and monks for instance.

or...they can not use them...

I highly doubt when they do Dark Sun 4e it will have tieflings or dragonborn.

Sammael

Adventurer
FR has always had half-orcs and monks.

And the dragonborn are already covered in the blurb for Year of Lightning Storms in the Dragons of Faerun book, although I find the "lightning strikes and leaves draconic egg behind" part insulting to my intelligence.

broghammerj

Explorer
Najo said:
or you can not use them. Pretty simple. I hate gnomes for example. NEVER use them...HATE them. Hence, cut them out of the games I run. There ya go.

Najo, I am going to pick on you a bit. Not for the sake of personal attack, but just for a point of discussion. Did you specifically ban them? All the gnome haters have come out and said they never use them which is fine. I just want to know if I sat down at your game table and said I want to play a gnome, would you let me?

I am going to guess the answer would be yes, I could play a gnome. Why? Gnomes despite their uncommon use fit into most fantasy tropes. I have a feeling that many DMs don't like the idea of a demon or dragon related creature running around as PCs. That would be something you have to ban. Banning is a lot different than saying they don't exist in my game because no one uses them.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
broghammerj said:
Najo, I am going to pick on you a bit. Not for the sake of personal attack, but just for a point of discussion. Did you specifically ban them? All the gnome haters have come out and said they never use them which is fine. I just want to know if I sat down at your game table and said I want to play a gnome, would you let me?

I am going to guess the answer would be yes, I could play a gnome.

Wow, you must have less stringent DMs than I'm used to. I've played several games where certain "core" classes and/or races were banned. Campaigns with no divine magic, campaigns with no wizard spells over level 5, no dwarves, no elves (or drastically different versions of those races)... I think I may have even run a game with no monks allowed, and I *like* monks.

I'm just hoping the dragonborn have a decent background and culture, and none of this "lightning hit dragon eggs" crap.

Remove ads