Do there seem to be a lot of criticals?

Abstraction

First Post
In the various playtests reported so far, there seem to be quite a few criticals going on. Even taking out the confirmation roll, there seems to be more than 1 in 20. Has anything come up that accounts for so many crits?

Gimby

Explorer
We don't know how many rounds each combat is going on for - it's entirely possible that the encounters are running for longer than we expect in 3.5 and so the total number of attack rolls (and hence critical chances) is increased.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Gimby said:
We don't know how many rounds each combat is going on for - it's entirely possible that the encounters are running for longer than we expect in 3.5 and so the total number of attack rolls (and hence critical chances) is increased.
Don't forget the assumption that there are more opponents - more opponents = more attacks (either from the opponents or though AoO-like mechanisms), therefore you get more chances to crit, add the loss of the confirmation roll, and some flukes, then you can get really crit-heavy sessions.

Furthermore, some melee-focused characters might have some kind of "Improved Critical" going on.

Cheers, LT.

redmagerush

First Post
Gundark said:
Gad...I hope combats don't take longer in 4e than in 3e

I think he meant it went more rounds so more attacks, but with the streamlined rules played in either the same amount of real time or quicker.

Cadfan

First Post
Lets say we have five player characters, and five monsters. That's 10 attack rolls per round, all of which have a chance to critical. That gives us a critical hit every other round.

KingCrab

First Post
Odysseus said:
i'm guessing there will be no confirming crits. All 20's crit.

I'm hoping this isn't the case. I remember playing heavily armored cleric back in 2ed. Every hit had to be a critical. It was annoying.

Remove ads