Your favorite d20 System variant?

Your favorite d20 System variant?

• Poll closed .

masshysteria

Explorer
Star Wars Saga Edition is really growing on me. I like the streamlined system and we finally get a simple and usable system for droids and starship fights that mirror their most often used counter pasts (species and character combat.)

Jackelope King

First Post
Mutants & Masterminds / True20 (and when it's done, my homebrew d20 Advanced will likely supplant them for me). We don't need no steenking classes.

Coming in behind is a pack that includes d20 Modern, Iron Heroes, and maybe Arcana Unearthed/Evolved.

EDIT:

Saga Edition's simplifications in some areas (like the condition track) are growing on me. While I think C&C was a poor system overall, I still hold that the SIEGE Engine by itself is a very simple, very fast approach to resolving skill checks, though it needs some polish to really shine. Grim Tales has almost all of the goodness I like d20 Modern for, but I haven't played it enough to like it conclusively. I'd even throw to my top-of-the-heap 3.5 Psionics and Psionic Focus as a stroke of absolute genius.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
1) Mutants and Masterminds.
2) True20 : I have not yet played it (waiting until cam I get the Companion)
3) d20M provided that Blood and Fists is used for martial arts and, if fx are used, Elements of Magic:Mythic Earth and Psychic's Handbook are used in place of the standard magic and psionics rules).

Edit:
BESM d20: I actually liked it, but I prefer M&M

Iron Heroes: I liked the goal. After seeing Book of Iron Might and hearing how good Iron Heroes was, I checked it out, but I did not like the classes, the umbrella skills, or the tokens.

Castles & Crusades: I saw it, but it just was not what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Ringan

Explorer
Mutants and Masterminds - it's about the perfect grain for me. I can represent characters exactly as I envision them, with nearly complete control.

Voadam

Legend
Unearthed Arcana variants (recharge magic, spontaneous divine casters, reserve hit points). is #1 for me.

Arcana Unearthed is second with its alt D&D classes and magic and races.

D20 Modern would be third, I like the base classes and talent trees but not really the damage thresholds and other differences.

I like the goal of Iron Heroes, but the tokens are a little much for me to want to track in game.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
jaerdaph said:
I really like Grim Tales and d20 Call of Cthulhu too.

Yes.

But so many D20 variants and so little time. And I here WotC will be releasing a new one in May or June 2008 ;)

So little time.

bgaesop

First Post
Iron Heroes, no question. I'm a huge fan of gritty, low magic fantasy and Iron Heroes is just about perfect for that. Second is Mutants and Masterminds, and the only thing really hurting that as far as a Superhero system is that it can be quite unbalanced (86 point character teleports the planet into the sun, woo!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases