Running a large group with an unfamilar system (Castles and Crusades)

Mitchbones

First Post
In about three weeks I will be running the largest game I have ever ran of 8 players, 4 of which are completely new to gaming. I don't even have the required C&C books yet!

I was wondering if you guys had any advice about teaching this many new people how to play a game you are unfamilar with.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Get the C&C quickstart rules download from the Troll Lord site. This covers almost all of game system mechanics with only certain classes, races, monsters and spells being notably absent.

Particle_Man

Explorer
The hardest part will be primes (assuming you take my advice in the last sentence in this post). Mention that a few of their abilities will be primary and that they will be "really good" at tests involving those things like Str, etc. Tell them that one is determined by class and one is freely chosen by them (and if they are human, an extra one is freely chosen by them).

The most time-consuming part will be shopping for equipment. I suggest you simply ignore encumbrance for beginning players.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Do their characters for them ahead of time, or have a pool of characters for them to choose from. Give those characters broadly-defined descriptions, such as 'A wizard, capable of casting both defensive and offensive spells' 'An Elf; elves are good with both magic and fighting'.

Have all their equipment already done. You have four people new to roleplaying go out and buy equipment, you're going to have four no-shows next week.

Use simplified character sheets if at all possible, or a sheet that has explanations on it. If you can't find or make one, attack a sticky-note to the sheet.

No more than a half-page of simple instructions showing people how to use their character and class abilities, such as

'You're a fighter; your job is to defend the others from attackers and to deal a lot of damage.

Attack an enemy: roll one 20-sided die and add your combat modifier. If that's over the armor class of the creature, you hit and you do damage.'

Whisper72

Explorer
When teaching first timers, handing out pre-generated PC's is a good idea. This way, you avoid the whole discussion about who wants to be what and party balance (who gets to be the cleric etc.), as well as shopping (the PC's already have basics of equipment, you may include some 'strange' items many first timers may not think of as useful such as: mirror, caltrops, 10 foot pole, flasks of oil/greek fire etc.)

Try to prepare nice PC sheets including mugshots. Scouring the internet (googling on images for 'fighter d&d' etc. or look on the Wizards site etc.) should yield plenty to choose from, and this gives the players something to hatch on to when roleplaying (i.e. the type and color hair, the overall demeanor etc.)

Furthermore, before getting right into the adventure (especially when using a module), us a 'soften up encounter' to get the players used to their abilities. Some ideas:
- a brawl in the inn where they meet
- a group of goblin highwaymen on the way to the dungeon

Keep it simple, have it be an easy win, but last enough rounds for the players to 'get some exercise'. Have it be close to their base of operations, so they can go back to safety and replenish for the 'real adventure' if necessary.

Good call.

One thing I've found useful for large groups in the past is for the PCs to designate a leader. This can be in- and/or out- of game, but it was immensely useful to have someone to speak for the PCs with group decisions and help newer players out.

jdrakeh said:
Get the C&C quickstart rules download from the Troll Lord site. This covers almost all of game system mechanics with only certain classes, races, monsters and spells being notably absent.

Mitchbones

First Post
Thanks a lot guys, I wouldnt' have thought of a lot of those ideas. I don't think i'll roll up characters for them (but have a few handy) as making your character is half the fun!

Someone suggested to me that I split the party into two groups, I haven't done this before....how do you guys handle the partys splitting up a lot? Focus on Group A for 10 min then switch?

Turanil

First Post
If you are unfamiliar with C&C but familiar with d20, here is a suggestion:

The main different rule in C&C (the SIEGE engine) is that saving throws and skill checks are replaced with ability checks using a system of prime/non-prime. So, if you don't have time to figure out this 12/18 system and manage novice players at the same time, here is what you can do:
-- Use d20 DCs when players attempt a task or must roll a saving throw.
-- PCs can attempt anything they want, having to roll a d20 over the DC (with the default DC being 18). They add the modifier (if any) of the most relevant ability when doing so (like adding Dex modifier when attempting to Hide). However, if the roll is related to a prime ability (i.e.: they attempt to Hide and Dex is one of their prime abilities), they get a +6 bonus to the roll.
-- PCs who use a class skill (i.e.: the character who attempts to Hide is a rogue) also add their level to the roll.

Mitchbones

First Post
I feel lame asking this (again thanks for the help!) but I run a weekly D&D game on top of this one and I am really thinking that I should run a C&C module. Are there any you guys have tried and liked?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
WayneLigon said:
Do their characters for them ahead of time, or have a pool of characters for them to choose from.

I wanted to second this. My first character took so long to roll up (partially because the DM isn't a rules-lite type of guy). I also had to spend my first session "training" while other folks actually did stuff.

What I would also recommend is to assign your inexperienced players a buddy who can show them a bit about what to roll when, what they can do with their characters, etc. If the system is new, that may be a bit more difficult, but C&C is so easy it shouldn't be a problem.

Remove ads