stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [OOC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
In the wilds between the fields of Karnnath and the holds of Mror, an isolated valley holds necromantic secrets from before the Conqueror's time. But it holds a curse that blights the land and its people. What started as an expedition for lost arcane knowledge has turned into something else---a chance to redeem a place lost, or to fall to its madness forever.

IC: Ch. I, Ch. II, Ch. III | OOC: Ch. I, Ch. II, Ch. III | RG

Who
The following motley crew:
Current cast:
Past cast:
  • Selase Kolandra (Doomhawk): Human Vol adherent. Killed by the zombies of Barovia, risen by their plague, and put down by her companions.
  • Bergeron "Foebender" d'Jorasco (Kralin Thornberry): Halfling Jorasco scholar. Slain by the foul death magic of a mad Barovian priest.
  • Daellin ir'Ayellan (drogthery): Elven Cyran undead hunter. Killed by the mad spirit of the monastery.
  • Perriwimple (Kafkonia): Human brute. Killed by the mad spirit of the monastery.
  • Ladreth Dorkunan (ethandrew): Quiet half-orc Deneith mercenary. Staying with the depleted expedition.
  • Janis Stormhand (ir'Sandal) (James Heard) : Human Cyran ex-pat aristocrat. Returned to town after wounds.
  • Marot "The Deadly" (Maraat Jaasakah) (s@squ@tch, formerly Isida Kep'Tukari): Human Ghaash'kala warlock. Recuperating.

Last edited:

stonegod

Items of Interest
[sblock=Dramatis Persona]Mateush Ochem Historian of the Twelve, and nominal head of the Barovian expedition. A Karrn entering his middle age, Mateush is meticulous about his cleanliness and hygiene.

Ferrik Dalboran d'Sivis A Sivis heir of some minor standing, was meant to provide contact with the outside world. Killed in the wolf attack on the caravan.

Adalstan d'Cannith A well humored Aundarian with close cropped curls and a mischievous smile. Not well liked by the Karnn Cannith faction being tacitly associated with Cannith North due to his heritage, and was 'honored' with his place on the expedition as a consequence. Provide artificing services as needed.

Ismark the Lesser Son of the Burogmaster of Barovia and now its nominal head. A pale man of dark hair who harbors fine fur clothes with rich trimming in a country style. Known for his dark humor, and is harboring a lot of ill will since his father's death. Recently disappeared.

Arik Dazed proprietor of the Blood on the Vine inn in Barovia.

Tobias Gorzen Deneith mercenary guard for the expedition. Former companion of Ladreth. Killed in the zombie incursion.

Andrzej Crotchety elder farmer on the outsides of Barovia. Father of Katrina. Still alive after the Lysaga Hill incident.

Katrina Fetching young farmer identified by a bright red head-scarf. Daughter of Andrzej. A witch, she was killed at Lysaga Hill.

Sir Urik Boisterous warrior against the ills of Barovia. Last of the Knights of the Raven, an ancient Barovian order. Once again accompanied by the raven Hurrn.

Madam Eva Soothsayer of the Visanti. A true seer that read the fortunes of the party.

Father Danovich Former priest of the Barovian church, feel into madness and corruption at the death of son. Somehow responsible for the necromantic plague. Killed by Janis for his part in Orwell's death.

The Monstrosity An unnatural stitching together of corpses, it was the source of the zombie plague and Danovich's creation. May have once been the priest's son Doru. Destroyed by the party.

Mad Mary Smothering mother of Gertrude, her daughter that disappeared before the troubles in town. Apparently mentally cracked.

Ireena Supposed daughter of the Burgomaster, she seems more able than her morose 'brother.' Possibly has some sort of dealings with a mysterious stranger calling himself the new Lord of Barovia.

Bildrath Owner of the only shop in town. A prickly sort, not made any better by the death of his nephew Perriwimple.

The Green Crone Mysterious figure seeking to free a dark power to take over Barovia. A hag, she was killed at Lysaga Hill by the party.

The Mad Nymph Apparent leader of the Barovian lycanthropes. A beautiful fey twisted by madness in a lair at once otherworldly and foul. Slain by the party.

Vincent Korr d'Deneith A Deneith mercenary whose brother was killed by a tainted Khensu during the lycan attack on Barovia. Infected with lycanthropy.

Sergei ir'Zarovich Claimant to the lands of Barovia. Apparently in a relationship with Ireena.

The Ugly Hag Defender of the Swamp Fane. Killed, but first left her mark on the party.[/sblock][sblock=Identifying Magic Items]Okay, full identification rules :
- identify or analyze dweomer as usual (remember, divine versions do not require arcane material components)
- DC 30 Kn: Arcana check for well known items, but doesn't give everything
- Spellcraft with a detect magic will do it at a DC 10 higher that id'ing its school of magic (so DC 25 + 1/2 CL). One items per 3 rounds of casting.
- Use Magic Device at +5 DC will do it, but only for "activatable" items (wands, some wondrous items, etc.)
[/sblock][sblock=Taint Rules]Types of Taint
There are two types: depravity (mental) and corruption (mental). Each has three levels: Mild, Moderate, Severe. As you gain more taint, you pass thresholds based on your Wis/Con to the next level. Each level has a drawback, though you start getting free feats for the higher two levels. If you pass the highest level (beyond the max Severe threshold), you're irrevocably gone.

Each level of taint as a set of different effects. Please keep track of your current taint score and what effect you have (I tell you when you gain a new taint threshold).

Removing Taint
Most methods to remove taint do not lower it pass a threshold. Atonement can lower it pass a threshold depending on the caster level. Heal, restoration, and greater restoration can remove taint below a threshold w/in 24 hours depending on the strength of the taint. There are other religion specific means of reducing taint.

Preventing Taint
Certain religion specific (and pricey) materials can absorb taint. Ask your local priest (or make good Kn: Religion checks.[/sblock][sblock=Handouts][sblock=False Letter from Burgomaster]
Hail to thee of might and valor:

I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been cursed by the ancient witches of Lysaga Hill, and even the good people of our town are powerless to free her from this enchantment. She wastes away under the witches' curse and I would have her saved from this menace.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.

Come quickly, for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indirovich
Burgomaster of Barovia
[/sblock][sblock=True(?) Letter from Burgomaster]
Hail to thee of might and valor:

I, the Burgomaster of Barovia, send you honor---with despair.

A man from your enlightened lands claim rulership over our benighted valley, bearing a name cursed for years beyond counting. His words even begin to claim the heart of my adopted daughter. But the darkness long slumbering in this land is reawakening. I fear this cannot be a coincidence, and that the vile powers here have even a more cunning plan in mind. The darkness will be too powerful to overcome.

So I say to you, give us up for dead and encircle this land with the warding symbols of holiness. Let the holy ones call up on their power that the Devil contained in our land may be continued within the walls of weeping Barovia. Leave our sorrows to our graves, and save your world from this evil fate of ours.

There is much wealth entrapped in this community. Return for your reward after we are all departed for a better life.

Kolyan Indnirovich, Burgomaster of Barovia.
[/sblock][sblock=The Sunsword]
100568.jpg
[/sblock][sblock=Holy Symbol of Ravenkind]
100567.jpg
[/sblock][sblock=Page from the Tome of Strahd]Here[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Maps]
Ashyln's Sketched Map of Barovia
attachment.php

Ismark's Map
attachment.php
[/sblock][sblock=The Lightbringers]Guild: The Lightbringers are an expansive guild of undead hunters that readily hands out charter memberships to anyone who wants to stamp out undead. The Lightbringers have no central headquarters. Most Lightbringers are worshipers of the Sovereign Host, with reverence of Dol Arrah forefront. Some worshipers of the Silver Flame have membership in the Lightbringers, seeing it as another manifestation of the Flame's workings.

Symbol: The Lightbringers' symbol is a stylized half-sun, half-moon disc.

Credo: "Suffer no false life."

Being a Lightbringer: The Lightbringers' organization requires a prospective member to have 4 ranks in at least one of several associated skills (see below). The guild accepts all classes, levels, and races. Initiation fee and annual dues are 100gp. Every guild member makes a commitment to slay undead (level of commitment is up to the member).

Associated skills: Concentration, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledge History, Knowledge Local, and Knowledge Religion.

Benefits: Guildmembers receive the following benefits:
- Food and lodging at an affiliated Temple in a large city
- 10% discount on guild services
- One free restoration spell per week from an affiliated temple
- +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Info on fellow guild members
- Can request aid from affiliated temples to fight undead
- Bards, Clerics, Paladins, and Rogues receive optional substitution levels

Substitution Levels: Members of the Lightbringers may possess the following class substitution levels. They may be taken at the appropriate class level. Characters who have already leveled past the given level, may retrain when leveling-up at the cost of 25 XP * the level of the ability.

[sblock=Bard Substitution Levels]Bard 1st: Undead Bardic Knowledge replaces bardic knowledge. You may use a bardic knowledge-like check, but only against undead. You gain a +5 circumstance bonus on this check. You can use this in addition to a Knowledge (religion) check to learn about an undead creature or some other bit uf undead lore.

Bard 1st: Inspire turning replaces inspire competence. By spending a bardic music use, you may bolster the turning (or destroying) attempt of one ally within 30 ft. who can here you. The ally is treated as being two levels higher for the purpose of turning undead as long as they hear your performance. The effect duration is concetration, up to 2 minutes. It is a supernatural, mind-affecting ability.

Bard 6th: Repel Domination replaces the suggestion ability. You gain a +2 bonus on saving throws vs. mind-affecting spells or abilities from undead questions. Furthermore, if you succeed on the saving throw, the undead is shaken for the rest of the encounter.[/sblock][sblock=Cleric Substitution levels]Cleric 1st: Destroy Undead replaces Turn Undead, see Complete Divine p. 87 variant rule. It is a supernatural ability.

Cleric 1st: True Daylight replaces one domain granted power. Use one Turn Undead to power up a casting of the daylight spell. This special daylight spell lasts 1d4 rounds and has only 10' radius. However, it acts like true daylight for affecting vampires and other light-sensitive creatures. This is an extraordinary ability.

Cleric 1st: Positive Healing replaces one domain granted power. Use one Turn Undead to gain fast healing 2 for five rounds. This is a supernatural ability.[/sblock][sblock=Paladin Substitution levels][Paladin 1st: Detect Undead replaces Detect Evil. Finds undead only. Similar to the spell detect evil, except that you don't need to concentrate for multiple rounds to determine exact number/location instead information is immediately available. This is a spell-like ability.

Paladin 3rd: Dol Arrah's/The Flame's Blessing replaces Divine Health. Smite Evil gets an extra bonus vs. undead: +2 to attack and +1 point of damage per two paladin levels. This is an extraordinary ability.

Paladin 6th: Warded Special Mount replaces one weekly use of remove disease. A Lightbringer's paladin mount is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.[/sblock][sblock=Rogue Substitution levels]Rogue 3rd: Penetrating Strike replaces trap sense. Whenever you flank a creature that is immune to sneak attack damage, you still inflict half of your sneak attack damage as bonus dice. If you can't flank them (i.e. Beholders, etc.) or they are flat-footed, then you do not get bonus damage dice -- you must flank the creature which is immune to sneak attack in order to get bonus damage under this rule. This is an extraordinary ability.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Knights of the Raven]Requirements
Alignment Any good
BAB +4
Spellcasting 1st level divine spells
Special Meet an existing Knight on friendly terms; perform a vigil (you'll have to ask Urik about that one ;))

Features
HD 8
Skills (2+Int): Concentration, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (religion), Spot, Survival.
BAB As figther
Saves Good Fort, Will
Spellcasting Increases every level after 1st (divine only)
Special
- 1st: Raven harrier (harry): Celestial raven companion (raven with celestial template, half your hit-points, uses your base save with base mod of +0/+2/+2, Int 3), distracts foes on failed save (swift action to command, Will DC 10+1/2 class level+Cha, causes -2 to AC). Speak with ravens
- 2nd: Smite undead 1/day: As smite evil, but you double damage on a natural 20, and get two miss chance rolls against incorporeal undead.
- 3rd: Turn undead: As Clr-2, or stack with existing. Sun domain: Access to Sun domain spells and class ability (destroy undead 1/d). Raven harrier: baffle: Prevent foe from making AoO on failed save.
- 4th: Light focus: Double radius and increase level of light spells, increase light spell saves by 2. Smite undead 2/d
- 5th: Raven harrier: falter: Enemy provokes AoO on 5' step. Enduring Life: Bonus feat (ignore negative level penalties for short time).
- 6th: Smite undead 3/d
- 7th: Raven harrier: channel spells: Raven counts as point of origin for spells (deliver touch, etc.), take longer to cast.
- 8th: Last Life: Bonus feat (can attempt to remove negative levels from you). smite undead 4/d
- 9th: Raven harrier: sight link: See through raven's eyes, become fatigued.
- 10th: Burst of vitality: Use turn attempt to remove negative levels from yourself and allies. Smite undead 5/d[/sblock][sblock=New Alchemical Items]Alchemical Flare Bolts Crossbow bolts with a mixture of phosophorous, silver, and garlic. Do an additional 1d6 fire damage to corporeal undead. Weight: 1 lb. per 10. Cost: 150 gp (10 bolts).

Alchemical Fiare Stakes Dagger-like weapons destroyed after a use. Do an additional 1d6 fire damage to struck corporeal undead until removed (a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity). All stakes are removed with a single action. Weight: 1 lb. per 10. Cost: 150 gp (10 stakes).

Alchemical Sun Flash A sealed flask with the power of daylight. A splash weapon with increment 10 ft. Does 1d6 fire damage (1 splash). It also cause a brilliant flash within 10 ft and a brilliant light for 100 ft for a second. Creatures in the flash zone with light sensitivity or similar weakness are dazzled for one round. Vampires and others that are powerless in sunlight are limited to standard actions for one round. Weight: 1 lb. Cost: 50 gp[/sblock][sblock=Fortunes of Ravenloft]
  • The Sunsword A weapon of power, lost in the woods. Only to awaken in a lost tomb.
  • The Holy Symbol of Ravenkind Now a tool of witches, to be found where they roam. Must be cleansed at its origin chapel.
  • Tome of Strahd Holds the secrets to the Curse on the land, and a part of how to destroy it.
  • Zombies The source of the zombie plague, and its destruction.
  • The Unasked Question Unknown. Eva indicated that the group will be back 'to ask their last question.'
[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

I've updated the Dramatic Persona above (Vincent and the nymph, with some updates on other folk). I'll also be filling out the taint rules. Might come in handy later. :]

James Heard

Explorer
DEFCON, no matter how annoying Janis might be right now I'd just like to say thank you for giving me the opening to write one of the most fun Janis-rants ever. :)

Stormwind

First Post
James Heard said:
Subscribing.

Edit: Give Janis three words and I think she could start a war. :lol:
Looks like Janis is out to make friends once again ... ;)

Seriously though, I really enjoyed the part where Janis indirectly called Mateusz a rat ... I had a grin that stretched right across my face. I'm also sure that any further consequences of that will be just as amusing.

James Heard

Explorer
Hold on...is that a slip or did Bill Lumbergh just call Janis by her unannounced, untalked-about last name? Or has Janis at some point referenced herself as such and I've forgotten about it?

I think it's probably important, in case Janis needs to kill the boss-man since he's obviously some sort of assassin/spy for the Cyran crown? You know, kick his behind Great War style?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases