Intelligent Item PC?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intelligent Item PC?

The idea of an intelligent item as a character has been floating around recently. An item with intelligence that controls a humanoid to do it's will. I can't be the first to think of this, are there any rules for such? Has anyone here attempted this concept? If so, how'd it go?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Thurbane
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuskus
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    The idea of an intelligent item as a character has been floating around recently. An item with intelligence that controls a humanoid to do it's will. I can't be the first to think of this, are there any rules for such? Has anyone here attempted this concept? If so, how'd it go?
    I don't have anything useful to add, other than to say this is a brilliant idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plane Sailing
    Honestly the dungeons of dread figures look like they came out of a kinder egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytmare
    Man, those paint jobs are painful. They honestly look like some random, talentless 12 year old's first attempt at painting minis.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferratus
    The wyvern, trogdolyte, magma brute, lamia, mindflayer, orb wizard, ettin, orc, shadowhunter, vampire spawn, vrock, hydra, and gnoll all look horrible. The "this turd won't polish" award has to go to the new grick.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore DreamChaser
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuskus
    Never attempted it...this actually raises the question of any symbiotic sort of character. Really, this character has virtual immortality: if its current host is troublesome or dies, it just goes to another. Plus, it is likely to have a vast range of knowledge and experience that would be out of proportion with the other characters.

It's similar to why the Inspired were redesigned to the Kalashtar in Eberron and why the Trill in Star Trek are so hard to translate in a way that is both true to the concept and fair to the other players.

DC
    The truth is I don't believe in the Truth

Ogremoch, Elemental Prince of Evil (Lvl 23)

Ignore Dannyalcatraz
    It doesn't neccessarily have to control a humanoid, though.

It could be self-animating, for one, like an intelligent dancing sword.

OTOH, it could control any kind of handy living thing capable of bearing it in some way, with its abilities determined (at least in part) by the nature of the bearer.

For example, if the artificial PC- call him Art- were a ring, it could be worn by any primate, several kinds of avians or reptiles, slipped over a cat or dog's tail, or manipulated by a cephalopod's tentacle. However, only if the form had sufficiently developed vocal chords and/or digits capable of making the proper gestures could Art cast the spells it knows.
    IAAL...and an MBA. No, really!
    Metal School Founder; Campaign Ideas; my 3.X Databases: The Monk, The Martial Arcanist, Aquatic Ideas, The Psychonomicon

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Slapzilla
    Would 'Art' be the controller of a sophisticated construct then?

I can see it now... Art controls a humanoid and 'becomes' a wizard. This Wizard creates a Shield Guardian for Art to 'become' next. Maybe an adamantium golem. Art dreams of becoming an...wait for it... artifact! Oooooh!

Art would have the levels but would also need to be the intelligent item as per the DMG. Its own Int/Wis/Cha, telepathic abilities etc., but the host's Str/Dex. No need for a Con for any part of this, eh?

Neat idea. My imagination has, once again, been ignited. Thank you.
    "..."

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Patlin
    Do you require the leadership feat for the item's bearer? Cohort is one possible mechanic.
    PbP details Invisible Castle Dice Rolling LEW DM LEB DM
    LEW PCs: Ironwolf Banion Tor LEW PCs: Anvuss Rionus el'Aundair T'Ranis

"Daddy's teaching me to play D&D. I am his 'young apprentice.'" Brielle Patlin, 7 years old, 3/9/08.

This begs the question... can intelligent items gain class levels?
    What do you mean, "take 1d10d10 damage?!"

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Archimedes314
    I don't think there is anything in the raw that addresses this, leaving it up to DM interpretation. But because they have an intelligence score I don't see why not.
    Recursion - (n) 1. See Recursion.

Rule Lawyer Groupie COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore andargor
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamChaser
    Never attempted it...this actually raises the question of any symbiotic sort of character. Really, this character has virtual immortality: if its current host is troublesome or dies, it just goes to another. Plus, it is likely to have a vast range of knowledge and experience that would be out of proportion with the other characters.
    It is still vulnerable to disintegrate and disjunction (as well as any other ability meant to destroy magic items). Plus, it can't be brought back to life, AFAIK.

Still, great idea. A bit like the One Ring...

EDIT: Possibly all it needs is a geas-like ability?
    It is by will alone I set my die in motion.
    It is by gaming that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
    It is by will alone I set my die in motion.

Shameless Plug from an Old-Timer:
    A Walk Down Memory Lane - 30 years of Gaming

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Thurbane
    Quote Originally Posted by andargor
    It is still vulnerable to disintegrate and disjunction (as well as any other ability meant to destroy magic items).
    ...sunder...

Maybe you could have the PC as a legacy weapon, and it's wielder is effectively his cohort. That way the PC gets to improve his abilities as he "levels up".

Reminds me of an episode of Dave the Barbarian, where the three characters without opposable thumbs (a magic sword, a tiny dragon and an intelligent horse) had to rescue the others from game console addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plane Sailing
    Honestly the dungeons of dread figures look like they came out of a kinder egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytmare
    Man, those paint jobs are painful. They honestly look like some random, talentless 12 year old's first attempt at painting minis.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferratus
    The wyvern, trogdolyte, magma brute, lamia, mindflayer, orb wizard, ettin, orc, shadowhunter, vampire spawn, vrock, hydra, and gnoll all look horrible. The "this turd won't polish" award has to go to the new grick.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast