Intelligent Item PC?

Tuskus

First Post
The idea of an intelligent item as a character has been floating around recently. An item with intelligence that controls a humanoid to do it's will. I can't be the first to think of this, are there any rules for such? Has anyone here attempted this concept? If so, how'd it go?

Thurbane

First Post
Tuskus said:
The idea of an intelligent item as a character has been floating around recently. An item with intelligence that controls a humanoid to do it's will. I can't be the first to think of this, are there any rules for such? Has anyone here attempted this concept? If so, how'd it go?
I don't have anything useful to add, other than to say this is a brilliant idea. ;)

DreamChaser

Explorer
Tuskus said:

Never attempted it...this actually raises the question of any symbiotic sort of character. Really, this character has virtual immortality: if its current host is troublesome or dies, it just goes to another. Plus, it is likely to have a vast range of knowledge and experience that would be out of proportion with the other characters.

It's similar to why the Inspired were redesigned to the Kalashtar in Eberron and why the Trill in Star Trek are so hard to translate in a way that is both true to the concept and fair to the other players.

DC

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It doesn't neccessarily have to control a humanoid, though.

It could be self-animating, for one, like an intelligent dancing sword.

OTOH, it could control any kind of handy living thing capable of bearing it in some way, with its abilities determined (at least in part) by the nature of the bearer.

For example, if the artificial PC- call him Art- were a ring, it could be worn by any primate, several kinds of avians or reptiles, slipped over a cat or dog's tail, or manipulated by a cephalopod's tentacle. However, only if the form had sufficiently developed vocal chords and/or digits capable of making the proper gestures could Art cast the spells it knows.

Slapzilla

First Post
Would 'Art' be the controller of a sophisticated construct then?

I can see it now... Art controls a humanoid and 'becomes' a wizard. This Wizard creates a Shield Guardian for Art to 'become' next. Maybe an adamantium golem. Art dreams of becoming an...wait for it... artifact! Oooooh!

Art would have the levels but would also need to be the intelligent item as per the DMG. Its own Int/Wis/Cha, telepathic abilities etc., but the host's Str/Dex. No need for a Con for any part of this, eh?

Neat idea. My imagination has, once again, been ignited. Thank you.

Archimedes314

First Post
I don't think there is anything in the raw that addresses this, leaving it up to DM interpretation. But because they have an intelligence score I don't see why not.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
DreamChaser said:
Never attempted it...this actually raises the question of any symbiotic sort of character. Really, this character has virtual immortality: if its current host is troublesome or dies, it just goes to another. Plus, it is likely to have a vast range of knowledge and experience that would be out of proportion with the other characters.

It is still vulnerable to disintegrate and disjunction (as well as any other ability meant to destroy magic items). Plus, it can't be brought back to life, AFAIK.

Still, great idea. A bit like the One Ring...

EDIT: Possibly all it needs is a geas-like ability?

Thurbane

First Post
andargor said:
It is still vulnerable to disintegrate and disjunction (as well as any other ability meant to destroy magic items).
...sunder...

Maybe you could have the PC as a legacy weapon, and it's wielder is effectively his cohort. That way the PC gets to improve his abilities as he "levels up".

Reminds me of an episode of Dave the Barbarian, where the three characters without opposable thumbs (a magic sword, a tiny dragon and an intelligent horse) had to rescue the others from game console addiction. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases