Darkness and Dread - Bloodied

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
I don't remember reading about this beforehand, but this may interest the 4e lovers.

Today, I received my copy of one of the few 3.0 books I did not already have : Darkness and Dread by Fantasy Flight.

Inside there are rules for how you should feel according to how much hp you lost out of your total.

On the credits page, unsurprisngly, there is the name of ... Mike Mearls.

You should all know I am not a fan of 4e, but I thought this should interest you nonetheless. There you can get a preview of what it COULD look like. Of course, this book was written some years ago, so by now ...

Ty

First Post
Are the rules good and easy to track in a game, good and hard to remember, or poor on both counts? Curious since I don't really feel like dropping cash on it.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Ty said:
Are the rules good and easy to track in a game, good and hard to remember, or poor on both counts? Curious since I don't really feel like dropping cash on it.

Easy to track, I'd say yes. Good, I am not so sure. At least, not on low levels.

You can have four conditions
Healthy - no penalties
Staggered : - 2 to attack, saves, concentration DC 10 to cast spell. you are staggered when you have lost one quarter of your HPs
injured : same as above and -2 str and dex, concentration DC 15, down to 50 % hps
Critical same as above and -4 to str and dex, concentration DC 20. 75 % hp loss

So that can be really deadly for la lvl 1 fighter

Otherwise, provided you computed the 3 thresholds in advance, no it does not look difficult.
Since I only just acquired the book, I have never tested it, but maybe someone else has ?

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Interesting. Mike did seem to imply recently that ability damage isn't going to be a go-to for status debilitation (as is the case of fatigue, exhaustion, and some of these), so presumably he's done a lot of polishing to this idea since 3.0. But this could still certainly offer some insight into the Bloodied status.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases