Desert of Desolation?

Is the Desert of Desolation DDM set not selling well? It's only been out, what, a month and Ebay is pretty barren as a secondary market. At least more barren than I can remember for any of the previous sets.

Have DDMs reached a saturation point? The set doesn't look that bad...

For me its a serious finiancial issue. I'm struggling to keep my house so figures are not in my budget. And though it shouldn't effect the miniatures I suspect the whole 4e is scaring people. I'm seeing fewer and fewer books being stocked at the two stores I go to for my DnD fix.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Heck, I haven't picked up any from the last set much less this new one.

My buddies are "mad" at D&D right now so we've been playing Mutants & Masterminds and Fantasy Hero and they've dropped buying the minis altogether.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
JoeGKushner said:
My buddies are "mad" at D&D right now so we've been playing Mutants & Masterminds and Fantasy Hero and they've dropped buying the minis altogether.

Speaking of hard to find items, have you noticed how hard it is to track down a copy of the 5e Fantasy Hero book? I picked up two copies of HERO FRED a while back with an eye toward running FH. . . but I haven't been able to find the core book on Amazon or eBay over the last few months (haven't checked this month yet).

JoeGKushner

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Speaking of hard to find items, have you noticed how hard it is to track down a copy of the 5e Fantasy Hero book? I picked up two copies of HERO FRED a while back with an eye toward running FH. . . but I haven't been able to find the core book on Amazon or eBay over the last few months (haven't checked this month yet).

http://www.herogames.com/home.htm;jsessionid=aGKPbVfih2we?history=1

Fantasy Hero is out of print and the special edition hardcover that was supposed to be out at Gen Con is finally available to order.

Agamon

Adventurer
When I went to preorder DOD at my FLGS, he told me he was only getting one case in (which I got) because, "it's 4th edition." :\

huh?!?

1) Miniatures can be used for ANY edition

2) There are only a few that have the 4e feel (different sizes or the such which a creature with a proper template fixes)

3) April's Dungeon set is the next rules change

4) Sounds more upset by 4e than thinking about it.

sigh.... I want figures.......

smootrk

First Post
JoeGKushner said:

This is where I am as well, although my interests have moved onto old school Star Frontiers lately. Check out www.starfrontiersman.com or www.starfrontiers.us for info on that front.

I am waiting for 4e stuff to appear before totally committing to ditching D&D. Even minis are on the back burner until I decide how my hobby interests and dollars go.

I'm a little bit surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that the 4E aftershocks are spilling over into the DDM market.

I bought a whack of Desert minis on Ebay when they first came out and the usual flurry of activity (and selection!) is virtually dead right now. I'd really love to see sales figures comparing the various sets.

Glyfair

Explorer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I'm a little bit surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that the 4E aftershocks are spilling over into the DDM market.
Remember they also have an upgrade to DDM coming up as well. When that announcement was made I saw quite a number of cries of "they are destroying the game, I'm never buying any more ever again." Some of those were knee-jerk reactions that were reconsidered. However, I'm sure many are sticking to it and some are cutting back while in "wait-and-see" mode.

What's ironic is I saw the same thing when Mage Knight did 2.0 (and later when they started set retirement). A number of those players said they were going to DDM because WotC knew how to design a collectible game that would be stable forever and wouldn't have these changes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases