We don't need no water.

Ruthia

First Post
Yeah but Ariel has a cool point Willow. What if people who wanted to do this just organized it and ran it like it was an AU, Ran in the Carpe or the Ahoy? I mean...it could be said it IS the CRT/Ford's Keep setting..but has no affect on Siani's ACCTUALL setting?

Just a thought. I've ran a few AU's before and had a blast, cause you can do all sorts od stuff you wuldn't normally have tried. Heck the bad guys seem to win a lot in my AU's. :confused: Oh well! :eek:

Willow_Calypso

First Post
Ruthia said:
Yeah but Ariel has a cool point Willow. What if people who wanted to do this just organized it and ran it like it was an AU, Ran in the Carpe or the Ahoy? I mean...it could be said it IS the CRT/Ford's Keep setting..but has no affect on Siani's ACCTUALL setting?

Just a thought. I've ran a few AU's before and had a blast, cause you can do all sorts od stuff you wuldn't normally have tried. Heck the bad guys seem to win a lot in my AU's. :confused: Oh well! :eek:

Then that is an entirely different ball game. As it wouldn't effect the actual CRT. No players would not be able to access the CRT.

I suppose I missed that. My apologies to Ariel, if I offended her.

The only problem would be - The event wouldn't be acknowledge by all characters on site.

Kinda gives me the impression of Super Mario Brothers 2.

[thumbs up]

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Ru was pretty spot on with what I had in mind. I had kinda thought I'd made it obvious. But I'm...thick sometimes m'kay?! But unlike most of the scenarios run in Carpe or Ahoy (where you really feel like you need an invite to be there ~personal oppinion there~) make it a free for all, something that everyone can feel welcome to join in.

Willow_Calypso

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
Ru was pretty spot on with what I had in mind. I had kinda thought I'd made it obvious. But I'm...thick sometimes m'kay?! But unlike most of the scenarios run in Carpe or Ahoy (where you really feel like you need an invite to be there ~personal oppinion there~) make it a free for all, something that everyone can feel welcome to join in.

You didn't say AU, so my mind didn't click. We all know I'm slow...

Magi_Siani

First Post
Carpe and Ahoy are fine; what goes on in there remains in there. Anything you do, from any setting, is unique and specific to that adventure or linked adventures, in effect it is the DMs version of any campaign world they care to run.

They can be played in other parts of one of the main settings of the site, or something totally uncovered by us, or totally imaginary.

They just remain confined to those rooms and that DMs adventure, with the players of course and don't carry over to any of the other rooms in any real or official capacity.

That's one of the reasons we have those rooms.

Siani

Sill

First Post
If there is no one allowed to effect the setting, then why do you care if monsterous creatures are in the tavern, or if vault drow are there, but don't care if toril drow are there? ( can the towns folk really tell the difference?) I mean if the tavern had windows would not someone from the town just randomly look in hearing a ruckus or something? I mean if in no way shape or form will anything we do effect the setting, they why all the rules about character designs?

If no one is allowed to effect the setting, then I do not get it when I witnessed a characters enter the tavern with a Magi narrating the town guard after the character, even running by after the character ducked into the tavern and cursed at a guard tower that was calling out, the guard tower also being in the moderators narration.

So its not okay to mess with the town, and no way to get approval for it, unless its a special occasion for a character. What are the qualifications for this?

Maybe things have changed since then, maybe the description of the clearing and tavern should be changed alittle to add these side notes. I was told and I believe it was on the boards at one point that the Clearing was over a mile away from the crossroads and next to the river. It was considered taboo to the natives of the realm and people stayed away from it. Now its not even apart of the setting, its not on that realm anymore?

I am confused. help meeees.

Last edited:

Magi_Siani

First Post
The Clearing is outside of the town of Ford Keep, about a mile upriver from it. Same setting, isolated place, it has no restrictions on characters so people can do their fighting with their characters as they like.

The Tavern has the Garden attached to it and is in the center of town. It has restrictions based on the Greyhawk setting.

As for caring what patrons do in there; I do. If I catch them, they find out about it rapidly enough. I don't go out of my way to do so since I don't care to be excessively mean. I can, however, change that and go through the logs each day and look for violations. We don't actually have to catch people in the act in real time to issue warnings; we can do it after the fact from log inspections. In fact it is our policy, one which I kept once we moved from Wizards *not* to go into the logs without good reason, so as not to come down too hard on the players.

I already told you why I don't allow people to affect the setting. If you wish to do something within the setting, such as a ball or wedding or something, or have a one off type of situation, you can always submit the idea to me in writing and I'll discuss it with you. But only I can approve them for the Tavern, just as only Nashira can do so for the Rotunda and Trelian for the Bazaar.

The CoC and the Setting Rules are in fact quite clear. I haven't changed them since I wrote them. The settings are not there for any one person or group of people to change as they like. Use Carpe or Ahoy for that sort of thing and keep it to yourself and your group instead of trying to force changes that everyone else has to deal with.

I hope that helps sort out your confusion.

Siani

Willow_Calypso

First Post
Sill said:
If there is no one allowed to effect the setting, then why do you care if monsterous creatures are in the tavern, or if vault drow are there, but don't care if toril drow are there? ( can the towns folk really tell the difference?) I mean if the tavern had windows would not someone from the town just randomly look in hearing a ruckus or something? I mean if in no way shape or form will anything we do effect the setting, they why all the rules about character designs?

It has been established that monsterous creatures have to be disguised while within the CRT and the garden. It says such in the setting rules. Those that don't abide get warnings from the Magi.

There are differences between Oerthian and Faerunian Drow, by alignment and physical characteristic. Oerthian drow are innately evil. Plenty of reference out there to give you guidance on the racial differences. It is also required of Faerunian Drow to be in disguise when entering and leaving the garden or CRT.

And I (as I can't speak for others) have always gotten the impression that Siani has some type of agreement with the town folk that they leave her establishment alone unless her patrons cause a disturbance. And that is why we don't see town guards inside and the tavern staff (Magi) handle it.

Sill said:
If no one is allowed to effect the setting, then I do not get it when I witnessed a characters enter the tavern with a Magi narrating the town guard after the character, even running by after the character ducked into the tavern and cursed at a guard tower that was calling out, the guard tower also being in the moderators narration.

I haven't witnessed any town guards chasing characters, and if they did. I am sure it was something discussed with the Magi and character in question. There have been exceptions to the rules via Siani's permission. Everything concerning the CRT has to get the approval of Siani or the moderator they're interacting with.

Sill said:
So its not okay to mess with the town, and no way to get approval for it, unless its a special occasion for a character. What are the qualifications for this?
Approval from Siani (if it concerns the CRT, Garden or Clearing.).

Sill said:
Maybe things have changed since then, maybe the description of the clearing and tavern should be changed alittle to add these side notes. I was told and I believe it was on the boards at one point that the Clearing was over a mile away from the crossroads and next to the river. It was considered taboo to the natives of the realm and people stayed away from it. Now its not even apart of the setting, its not on that realm anymore?

It was never stated the Clearing was on a different realm. It was said that it wasn't part of the CRT & Garden. It has it's own setting rules.

Sill

First Post
Willow_Calypso said:
I haven't witnessed any town guards chasing characters, and if they did. I am sure it was something discussed with the Magi and character in question. There have been exceptions to the rules via Siani's permission. Everything concerning the CRT has to get the approval of Siani or the moderator they're interacting with.

Thanks for the imput, though just because you did not see it, does not mean it did not happen, and as I said, it was a moderator that narrated the guard for the character. Is that not effecting the setting? Thats all I was saying, that is directly effecting the town. Something that is not allowed at all, will not happen and can not happen. As was said in an earlier post.

And in this statement I asked what the qualifications were needed to bring about such a setting response. I mean it was said by Siani that you can not effect the setting. but in that instance it did.

Last edited:

Willow_Calypso

First Post
Sill said:
Thanks for the imput, though just because you did not see it, does not mean it did not happen, and as I said, it was a moderator that narrated the guard for the character. Is that not effecting the setting? Thats all I was saying, that is directly effecting the town. Something that is not allowed at all, will not happen and can not happen. As was said in an earlier post.

And in this statement I asked what the qualifications were needed to bring about such a setting response. I mean it was said by Siani that you can not effect the setting. but in that instance it did.

I hope you weren't trying to be rude, because I certainly wasn't.

And as I said, the moderators who have permission from Siani can in fact play a guard (and effect the setting as you put it). Like it has been said numerous times. There have been expections to the rules via Siani's approval.

Remove ads