no more regional feats?

eve_of_dante

First Post
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=14534935#post14534935

Rich Baker:

There will be some new "builds" published in the FR player character sourcebook, but I don't think you could call those FR-specific talent trees. We will have some FR-specific mechanics in the form of a revised approach to character region (something simpler to navigate than regional feats, we hope), but most of what you'll see as character options in FR sourcebooks should be widely applicable to core D&D characters too.

Stogoe

First Post
Good riddance; Regional feats from FR seemed to fall into two groups; insignificant skill bumps, or quote unquote 'region limited' munchkinnable must-haves.

Voss

First Post
Except for presenting them as somehow 'hard to navigate'. They weren't hard to use, they were either garbage or too good. Balance is very difference from complexity.

kennew142

First Post
I found regional feats annoying. They encouraged players to want to build characters from different regions so that they could take advantage of them. I felt the same about regional equipment. Some GMs may have had no problem with this desire, but I've always run games where the characters are integral to the setting. This model is a little difficult to manage with characters coming from all over Faerun. I finally allowed all the regional feats to any character. I made them background feats and allowed each character to take only one.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I liked the Regional Feats when I first saw them, but quickly changed my mind. To me, they were basically the same sort of generic cultural handwaving that I dislike in a lot of fantasy fiction (Jordan's Wheel of Time series comes to mind, notably); the notion that, "Well, Nation X is a mercantile Oligarchy, therefore everyone in the nation can be represented as being the best darn negotiators around, just because that's where they're from, so they can have the option of taking this (in some cases) unbalanced feat to represent that, while someone whose character background is a merchant won't ever get that benefit and be quite as good because he's from another country."

It just seemed an artificial means of stimulating roleplaying, and unnecessary as a result, IMO. I think Eberron handled it better in the ECS Book, with suggestions for builds, rather than mechanics.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I didn't mind any of the regional things at all. It added flavour to characters, and gave them a "home" and sometimes even a background to work off of.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Lord Xtheth said:
I didn't mind any of the regional things at all. It added flavour to characters, and gave them a "home" and sometimes even a background to work off of.
Right there with you. It shows that one area specialized in Thing A. The player has a home instead of just, "I grew up in the middle of nowhere after my parents died and I developed social skills from talking to the wolves. That's why I am multiclassing swashbuckler with aristocrat."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases