New material Red Jade

las

First Post
Red Jade

This jade is colored red it ways as much as steel. All slashing and piercing weapon made out of the material deal one point of extra damage of the right type. If a piercing and slashing weapon is made out of this material it only gets one bonus point of damage. Bludgeoning weapon get a –1 penalty to there attack a damage. If it has Bludgeoning and piercing both the bonus and the penalty take effect. All items take twice as long as there regular counter parts to make. It has a hardness of 8 and HP 30/inch of thinkness.

Market Price Modifier: Weapon +1,000 gp.

Any comments or ideas to make this even better while keeping its power still low.

Last edited:

Al

First Post
For weapons, fine.

For armour, not. This effectively gives a nonmagical +1 armour bonus (better than a magical +1 armour bonus due to Dispel, Antimagic and the like) at a knockdown rate. Whilst the +1000gp is roughly in line with +1 armour, it quickly becomes untenable at high level. For example, by using +4 Red Jade armour instead of +5 armour, you have made a net saving of 8000gp.

Jeph

Explorer
What are the hardness and hp/inch of thickness for this weapon? If they are a lot below that of steel, then all weapons made from them should take -2 penalties to attack and damage due to inferior materieals. This is how Jade and Obsidian weapons work in Oriental Adventures. And if the dern thing is harder than steel, it shouldn't give penalties to bludgeoning. I suggest 2 more hp/inch of thickness, and 2 less hardness, to justify the material's special properties.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I am envisioning red jade as this super sharp rock. It does more damage because of its "sharpness". I would follow Jeph's suggestion and drop the hardness but I would not increase the hps. I happen to like the idea off swords breaking though.
Maybe if they do more than 25 points of damage in round the red jade weapon needs to make a saving throw or break?

ANd.....

Instead of using the red jade as armor maybe it culd be used to augment armor. I am thinking red jade armor spikes or a spiked buckler.

The Iron Mark

First Post
How would the saving throw work? Would it always be the same or scale with damage? Would it be a Reflex save? Remember that when people get into high levels that 25 points of damage in one strike is not that hard to do.

las

First Post
Sample Red Jade weapons.

Red Jade longsword Cost 1,015 gp 1d8+1 19-20/x2
Sample damage on a crit 2d8+2 damage.

Master work Red Jade longsword Cost 1,315 gp 1d8+1 19-20/x2.

Red jade Kukri cost 1,008 gp 1d4+1 18-20/x2
Damage on a crit 2d4+2 damage.

Red jade heavy pick cost 1,008 gp. 1d6+1 x4
Damage on a crit 4d6+4 damage.

This is not including strength or magic mods.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases