Why worry?

Nathal

Explorer
Hello everybody...

It seems to me that nothing can hurt the D&D experience. If people don't like a new edition, their favorite iteration can never be "un-published". Moreover, I don't understand worries about missing out on new supplements, because it seems most new material is a reformulation of prior material, cast into slightly new lights. The exceptions are notable, like Planescape, Spelljammer, or Eberron. Maybe new editions strike fear into the heart of the collector?

If can't imagine going on forever with a single edition and not running out of truly unique ideas. There must be a point of diminishing returns, where it's necessary to start from point A again, both from a business model and to provide a fresh canvas with which creative types can work, bringing the old back to life again. :cool:

...just rambling.... ;)

I worry that the more the fanbase fractures, it will be increasingly hard to find gamers for the games I want to play.
I could do B/X-BECMI or core-only 3.5. Those are my favorites and I could imagine happily playing in and running campaigns under those rules for the rest of my life. I don't want to play OD&D, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, or 3.5+splats.

The more variations there are, the smaller my pool of potential players and DMs becomes.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
What-me-worry-715603.jpg

Nathal

Explorer
Hmmm...I suppose that was par for the course for me. Some of my friends wanted to play Vampire, others preferred Palladium and/or GURPS, while others wanted *only* sci-fi (but would tolerate Shadowrun). I ran several years worth of 2nd Edition campaigns, but when my friends balked at 3.0, I switched to Lejendary Adventure for a while before writing my own game system. There's not many games I enjoy running as a GM, but I can stand sitting in on any number of one-shots. Maybe entering into a "campaign" would make me more picky, if it were to last a while.

In regard to 4E, I'm hoping the online game table is cool enough that I can re-connect with old friends and players, but it probably won't happen due to the monthly fee. I'm sure $15 month, or whatever it becomes, will be a good value, but being a working stiff dad shoves it down the totem pole pretty far. ;)

All that said, I can understand how new editions make finding a gaming group harder when you're into one particular thing. I wonder how the RPGA is doing with all of this? Is there a war going on between camps now? :\

base fractures, it will be increasingly hard to find gamers for the games I want to play.
I could do B/X-BECMI or core-only 3.5. Those are my favorites and I could imagine happily playing in and running campaigns under those rules for the rest of my life. I don't want to play OD&D, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, or 3.5+splats.

The more variations there are, the smaller my pool of potential players and DMs becomes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases