Bo9S-themed homebrew gestalt game -- now recruiting!

Autumn

First Post
Rambling Introductory Thoughts

This is an idea I've been mulling over for some time, and I've decided I'll put it up here and see how much interest it receives.

I've loved the Book of Nine Swords ever since I first flicked through it, and have wanted to run a game revolving around the sort of flavor and style that it promotes. But it quickly became evident to me that I wouldn't be satisfied doing so in either of my usual two campaign settings, Eberron and Planescape. It could be done, of course - they're both very flexible and versatile worlds, and that's why I love them.

But what I really wanted was a setting that incorporated a Bo9S mentality - though not necessarily all the original Bo9S fluff - from its conception. Which pretty much meant coming up with one myself, so that's what I've been thinking about off and on for a while now. I think my initial ideas are forming enough of a skeleton now so I can recruit some players to help me put meat on the bones. And hopefully play some fun DnD. :)

Some Setting Flavor

[sblock=sblocked for your convenience] In this, the year 1000 of Astres, it is easy to forget that humanity’s hold was once so tenuous upon Valis. The first humans to land on that western shore with visions of eden in their imaginations found an intricate and refined society of labyrinthine plots and schemes, ever-switching alliances and emnities between the four Elemental Houses.

It is not recorded which was the first House to see the potential of humanity, to make friendly overtures and to encourage the first half-bloods. In any case, it was not long before all of them had followed suit. Once established, the bloodlines spread with astonishing speed, and the Houses’ ranks swelled with genasi. The crossbreed population expanded exponentially, and their impact was correspondingly enormous. The great city states grew up around the established Elemental strongholds, melding the Houses’ esoteric architectural styles with the practical needs of quasi-human inhabitants.

Human culture was all but eradicated in those times. Pure-blooded Humans became a subjugated minority, an underclass in the society of their Elemental lords. Of the heritage they had brought with them, they were all but stripped. This indignity was no fleeting thing, but the status quo of many centuries.

This is the context within which we must consider the nameless Prophet, the future Astres. The vernacular, indigenous culture of humanity was all but extinct on Valis, bastardised and nearly eradicated by Elemental influence. Yet what remained produced one last great man, and that man became a god. That is Astres’s greatest and most enduring lesson to humanity. The truth of our potential.

He was humanity’s messiah, come to give us back our identity and pride. Our protector against the outside forces that had come to dominate their world. No more would humanity be a plaything, a tool in the petty power struggles between rival lords. It would become a force unto itself. Mankind would again be master of its own destiny.

That was his message. Is it any wonder that men and women came from across Valis to hear his sermons and unite beneath his banner?

The day came that He and his followers seized the city of Darjhas, overthrowing the Genie caliph and seating Him on the throne. Witnesses wrote that as He took his seat the room was suffused with radiance, so dazzling in its brilliance that the assembled crowd could see nothing for a minute or more. When the light faded away, He was changed. He had transcended His mortality. The pure celestial light that had flooded the room lingered on in His eyes, and no man could match that stare. His features were changed to a perfect vision of androgenous beauty, and His hair was turned to dancing red-gold flames circled by a shining crown of molten silver.

Astres was born on that day, and his capital city was claimed. The Astresian armies that would later be the fear and envy of all Valis began as a peasant militia, but they were fighting for something they believed in. They were fighting for their destinies. The caliph’s troops were expelled, and the city secured.

Valis was disparate in those days, a rough conglomeration of city-states united only through trade and riven apart by the squabbling of their petty lords. There was consternation, undoubtedly, but no coordinated response to the new threat. Perhaps its magnitude was not yet realised. Yet within a generation half a dozen more cities had fallen, and Astres had proclaimed the Sanction, debarring any further breeding between pure blooded humans and other races. The foundations of the Empire were in place. From those beginnings to its present glorious ascendancy has not always been an easy or straightforward road, but our steps have never wavered.

And they shall not. We stride onwards, ever onwards to our destiny.

- Extract from the speech of Exarch Daltrim, delivered on the occassion of Somerthil Province’s millenial celebrations [/sblock]

n.b. Astres is intended to be pronounced [Az-trace], not [Ass-trees] or anything similar. ;)

More Setting Information

[sblock=Races, and a little on Religion]As you will have gathered from that extract, the dominant culture of Valis is human. The (large) continent is divided into imperial provinces - all are ostensibly part of the Astresian Empire. Nonetheless, some are more imperial than others. In some provinces, the main cultural influence remains one or more of the Elemental Houses. The Houses have accepted the Emperor's Sanction - no interbreeding with humans - and in return have won a measure of toleration. A score of city-states spread around the continent are still ruled by Elemental Lords, as imperial protectorates.

As such, the most prevalent PC races are Humans and Genasi.

Other races and cultures do exist on Valis, pushed to the peripheries now but still clinging on. These consist of monstrous humanoids like orcs, goblins, gnolls, kobolds and so on, as well as some scattered tribal human societies. Some of them associate and interbreed with the monstrous humanoid tribes, and are little different from them in culture and outlook. A rare few have managed to maintain their integrity and their own pagan Druidic culture, despite centuries of Astresian pressure.

Other PC races are not native to Valis. However, playing one is still perfectly possible... In the last two centuries the Astresian Empire has engaged in a great deal of oversees trade and expansion. This has led to a great deal of cultural exchange with other peoples, including other Human cultures who never experienced the same travails as the Astresians and have never had a taboo on breeding with other races. Hence half-blood races are viable player characters, though you should expect some prejudice from Astresians. Aasimars are particularly abhorrent, since Astresians are used to the idea of Celestials as manifestations of Astres's divine will. The idea of a Celestial contravening the Sanction is therefore a highly charged and subversive one.

Note that there is no accepted distinction between the Astresian empire and the Astresian religion, just as there is no accepted distinction between Astres the emperor and Astres the god. That's not to say that everybody growing up in the empire is a pious Astresian by faith - many, particularly from the remoter provinces, could care less about the Astresian religion. Some even worship other deities, though such practices are heavily suppressed. The most vicious heyday of the Inquisition has been and gone, but life for apostates and heretics is still far from easy. [/sblock]

[sblock=Classes]The Astresian Empire is highly martial in its culture, but it does not embrace all the disciplines. Desert Wind, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand and Stone Dragon are the traditional martial forms favored by the Elemental Houses (though not by those names), and are accordingly given short shrift by Astresians. Some of their maneuvers may, however, be adapted and used by Astresian adepts - in particular, Astresian crusaders have appropriated many Stone Dragon techniques for themselves.

Conversely, Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, Iron heart and White Raven are traditionally Astresian schools, and held in particularly high regard within that culture.

The Tiger Claw discipline, meanwhile, is not a discipline at all according to most Astresians, but rather a loose grouping of savage techniques used by the primitive humanoid tribes that unfortunately still linger in Valis's farther reaches and occasionally harrass the citizenry.

Meanwhile many true masters would of course tend to forsake such narrow and parochial views in favor of a more rounded and holistic outlook. Despite the Empire's own martial bent, it has no monopoly over those who seek the Way.

Arcane magic and psionics have traditionally been highly distrusted and even banned at various points in imperial history. At the height of the Inquisition, witchhunters rounded up and summarily executed thousands of 'heretics' based on evidence or suspicion that they practised the arcane or psionic arts.

Recent years have seen a shift towards greater tolerance for arcane and psionic adepts, in accordance with a more general move towards compromise and coexistence. Still, significant arcanists and psionicists do well to make a public show of piety or else keep their heads down. The empire remains understandably wary of powerful unaligned figures within its borders.

Divine magic, conversely, has a powerfully established place within society - as would be expected of a theocracy. The priesthood is a vast edifice commanding formidable power and respect in all aspects of life. In certain provinces it also commands a great deal of popular hostility, due to the corruption that tends to be more and more apparent as one moves further from the Capital and into the Provinces.[/sblock]

Game Details

The PCs will begin as the students of Master Carthis, a venerable man running a small school in the mountains of the remote province of Embria. It is not a particularly prestigious isntitution - in fact it seems unlikely that anybody beyond the immediate vicinity would have even heard of him. But for those born locally of modest means, it is the only real option if they wish to take their first steps on the Way. Those coming from further afield would likely only seek such a place if they had a desire for obscurity, or a lack of funds (Master Carthis teaches what he knows in return for work housekeeping, running errands to the nearby village, and tending his goats and his vegetable patch). It's also notable that unlike some Masters, he is not picky about his student intake. If he has political or religious opinions, he keeps them to himself.

From that starting point, I have the very basic sketchings of a campaign arc worked out. However, I want to stress that the game will be about where you, the players, want to go from that beginning scenario. I am very much the kind of DM who likes to chuck out some plot hooks and see which ones get bitten. I hope that this style of play can work in a PbP format; I haven't yet tested, but I am optimistic that with the right players it can. In terms of my DMing style, I'm flexible - I can accomodate anything from hack-n-slash action to high courtly intrigue, and ideally I like to mix those up with everything in between to create a nicely-paced and varied game. I think the only thing I can't really deal with is a wargaming style where roleplay is kept to a minimum. So if you're that kind of gamer, I would delicately suggest that this may not be the game for you.

Character Creation

Characters will begin at 1st level, with a 32 pt buy and max starting gold, using the Gestalt variant. One of your classes must be one with access to Martial Maneuvers - at 1st level that obviously means Crusader, Swordsage, or Warblade. Later on certain prestige classes can also fulfill that requirement.

I'm hoping that the variant will give more room for inventiveness and individuality in the otherwise quite restrictive nature of a game where everybody is a martial adept.

Of course it will also make characters much more powerful. Obviously I'll be scaling the challenges you face appropriately. :D

All planetouched races are houseruled to LA+0.

Any WotC sources should be ok when making your character - I have a lot of books, and I'm no stickler for exacting game balance. If I don't recognise something, you might have to email me the rules.

As an addendum to that 'no stickler for exacting game balance', however, I should add that that implies a certain level of trust in the maturity of my players. Hopefully nobody will make me reconsider my stance by doing anything outrageous.

I'm looking for 4-6 players. Run a concept by me first - classes and a little sketch of personality and background - and I will make my decision based on that. I realise that people might have more setting-related questions for me in this preliminary stage. I've deliberately left many things somewhat hazy because I'm very happy to take player input on them, so if you have any ideas then run them by me and we can work something out together. Or if you're just confused about something, likewise, feel free to ask away.

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
I love Tome of Battle. I'd like to throw my hat into the ring with a character aiming at Jade Phoenix Mage. No base class stub at the moment, trying to decide.

Kaodi

Hero
If I actually had Bo9S and CArc, I would be all over a Tiefling Shadow Hand Swordsage/Warlock, but I have neither. Good luck with your game though, Autumn.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Interesting to be sure. I've had a character concept for a while now. The unarmed variant swordsage(shadow hand/diamond mind/setting sun)a former UFC type fighter, looking for glory in other areas. I am unfamiliar with gestalt, so I'll have to do a little research, but the other side of the coin would probably be fighter.

Edit: They are far from official, but seem cool and well balanced. Sublime Marshal Sublime Ranger

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Here's my entry.

High Concept: Maas Illian is a singularly focused individual. His single goal is to fuse the Sublime Way and the Mystic Art into a single seamless fighting style superior to all others. His focus makes him an excellent student of the Way and the Art, but his Elemental heritage, use of arcane magic, and infrequent interactions with the outside world leave his social skills lacking.

Mechanics: Maas will go Swordsage // Wizard until he qualifies for Jade Phoenix Mage (level 7 minimum), then take the JPM levels on the Wizard side of the gestalt. He fights with a rapier and keeps a couple shortspears to throw if something refuses to get into melee range with him and he's out of spells. His maneuvers are focused mainly in Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, and Setting Sun (with some Devoted Spirit once he gets levels in JPM), while his spells are mostly buffs or offensive spells which might be mistaken for Sublime Way maneuvers.

[sblock=rough draft character sheet]
Maas Illian
Male Air Genasi Swordsage 1//Evoker 1
Alignment: NG
Deity: ???
Region: ???
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 160 lbs
Hair: Silver, tied into a topknot
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Pale
XP: 0

Str: 10 (+0) [2 points]
Dex: 16 (+3) [6 points, +2 race]
Con: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Int: 18 (+4) [10 points, +2 race]
Wis: 12 (+1) [6 points, -2 race]
Cha: 8 (-1) [2 points, -2 race]

Class and Racial abilities:
Native Outsider
Darkvision 60'
Levitate (CL 5) 1/day
+1 racial bonus on saves vs air spells and effects, +1 more per 5 character levels
Breathless (immune to drowning, suffocation, and attacks that require inhalation)
Quick to Act (+1 initiative)
Discipline Focus (+1 to hit with rapier, shortspear, bastard sword, katana, and trident)
Familiar

Hit Dice: 1d8+2
Hit Points: 10
AC: 13 (+0 Armor, +3 Dex) [Touch 13, Flat-footed 10]
Init: +4 (+3 Dex, +1 Quick to Act)
Speed: 30ft

Saves:
Fortitude +2 [+0 base, +2 Con]
Reflex +7 [+2 base, +3 Dex, +2 familiar]
Will +3 [+2 base, +1 Wis]

BAB/Grapple: +0/+0
Melee Atk: +1 (1d6/18-20/x2, rapier)
Ranged Atk: +4 (1d6/20/x3, thrown shortspear)

Skills:
Code:
Balance			+7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)
Concentration		+6 (4 ranks, +2 Con)
Jump			+4 (4 ranks, +0 Str)
Knowledge: Arcana	+8 (4 ranks, +4 Int)
Knowledge: History	+8 (4 ranks, +4 Int)
Knowledge: Religion	+8 (4 ranks, +4 Int)
Martial Lore		+8 (4 ranks, +4 Int)
Sense Motive		+4 (4 ranks, +0 Wis)
Spellcraft		+8 (4 ranks, +4 Int)
Tumble			+7 (4 ranks, +3 Int)

Flaws:

Feats:
Scribe Scroll (Wizard bonus)
Adaptive Style (1st level)

Languages:
Common, regional, +4 others

Spells Known: Necromancy and Enchantment prohibited
0th - (Abj) resistance, (Conj) acid splash, caltrops, (Div) detect magic, (Evoc) electric jolt, flare, light, ray of frost, sonic snap, (Trans) mage hand, mending, message, open/close, (Univ) arcane mark, prestidigitation
1st - (Abj) shield, (Conj) mage armor, (Div) true strike, (Evoc) persistent blade, (Illus) color spray, (Trans) feather fall, nerveskitter

Maneuvers Known:
Strikes - Sapphire Nightmare Blade (DM), Shadow Blade Technique (SH)
Counters - Moment of Perfect Mind (DM), Counter Charge (SS)
Boosts - Burning Blade (DW), Distracting Ember (DW)

Stances Known:
Step of the Wind (SS)

Equipment:
rapier
2 shortspears
backpack
~bedroll
~winter blanket
~spellbook (22 pages used)
~small steel mirror
belt pouch
~4 fishhooks
~10' fishing line
~flint and steel
~whetstone
money pouch
waterskin
wooden holy symbol
spell component pouch

Money: 13.8

Encumbrance: 30.5 lbs (light load)
0-33 light
34-66 medium
67-100 heavy

Familiar:
Podo, ferret (using weasel stats)
Hit Points: 5
AC: 15 (+1 Natural Armor, +2 Dex, +2 size) [Touch 14, Flat-footed 13]
Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +3
Str 3 Dex 15 Con 10 Int 6 Wis 12 Cha 5[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Hahhaa...dang.

Well, I love gestalt, and I'd love a chance to try 9 Swords, since I bought it, but haven't used it yet...

Seems like everyone loves the mage/swordsage combo...and why not?

That swordsage/warlock idea though...that got me thinking. And that's never good. :)

Hideous Blow. Swordsage. Tiefer.

HMMM.

Expect more soon. :)

Zurai

First Post
The problem with Hideous Blow or Eldritch Glaive is that they're almost entirely incompatible with maneuvers :(

And as for the ever-popular swordsage/wizard combo... well, the original idea was warblade//wizard. I couldn't get that to click right, though, so I shifted it to warblade//bard (still going for Jade Phoenix Mage). I had that almost fully statted out, then decided that JPM really didn't work very well at all for the concept and ditched it. Then I contemplated using an old swordsage//druid/nature's warrior concept I have laying around. Finally I settled back on the swordsage//wizard JPM build, though, because I've been dieing to play a Jade Phoenix Mage.

Shayuri

First Post
*nods*

I didn't mean it as a criticism, mind...on the contrary, it's a very cool idea. So cool I wanted it, but failed to pitch it first. :)

You have a point about the warlock powah...I'm starting to look at other possibilities. Ninja, perhaps, or Scout... Shadow Hand can use the dreaded Spiked Chain, which would be interesting...

But one cool thing about the warlock and Hideous Blow would be that it would give another combat option...apart from manuevers.

Or. Or! Beguiler/Swordsage? Shadow Hand and Beguiler...useful for that nice Feint ability they have...

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
This sounds interesting. I've always had a bit of a pet peeve with Bo9S because while the rules are cool, they never really seem to fit all that well with any given setting, and they've always seemed a little higher powered than other, previous stuff. Conveniently enough, a game full of Bo9S characters in a Bo9S-themed setting would solve that :)

I'm torn on concepts, but among my thoughts right now is doing a Fighter/Swordsage using the massive number of feats to qualify for Master of Nine. I'll probably have thought of something else by my next post, though, so don't put too much weight on that.

As far as race goes, are you including planetouched from MM2 (the 3.5 conversion, of course) and FF? It seems like everyone is going Aasimar or Tiefling, so I'd want to change it up a bit.

Autumn

First Post
Cool, I'm glad to see some promising inital interest. :D

Zurai: Looking good. I think the next step is to think a little about his background.
How much contact has he had with his elemental heritage? The Sanction has tended to polarise the genasi. Some have been drawn closer in to their elemental roots - the bar to breeding with humans to begin new bloodlines of genasi has obviously done much to change the elemental view of them as an infinite resource, and caused them to be valued accordingly higher. The official line among most elemental Lords is one of deep regret for the callous disregard with which genasi were once treated. To take a more cynical view, it's also true that genasi are now the only viable breeding stock to create more genasi.

On the other hand, some genasi have drifted away from the Elemental Houses, feeling little interest in the games of high politics and intrigue played by their elemental forbears. These genasi are much more likely to breed true amongst their kind (among the genasi of the Courts, genies or half-elementals are often the favored match since the pairing strengthens the bloodline). They are still likely to receive overtures from the Courts, but tend to independence.

Kaodi: Thanks for the well-wishes. :)

EvolutionKB: Concept sounds cool. It's interesting that everyone is all about the Swordsages. ;)

Those variants look very interesting. Haven't had a chance to look em over fully yet, but I'll definitely give them some consideration. A neat idea, at any rate.

Shayuri: Warlock/Swordsage is conceptually neat, but I agree with what's been said on the lack of synergy. Beguiler/Swordsage, on the other hand, sounds very nifty to me. :D

And of course you're welcome to roleplay the Beguiler powers as coming from an unsavoury source; the Warlock concept wouldn't necessarily have to change substantially.

Note that unlike Aasimars, there is a native tradition of Tieflings. Since Astres proclaimed the Sanction, demons and devils have unsurprisingly made it their business to tempt mortals into breaking it. If the offspring of such a moral failure should make themselves known around Darjhas Province or any of the other more strongly imperial areas, the Inquisition would likely make short work of them. But in the outlying Provinces it's possible for a Tiefling to get by so long as they keep their head down, and especially if they could pass on a casual glance for human or genasi. Certain cults and sects across the Empire have a significant minority of Tieflings among their numbers - including, surprisingly, the pagans. They have proven willing to accept Tieflings and judge them on their actions, which makes paganism an appealing choice for those who may want to rise above their taint but don't feel able to do so within the rather restricting tenets of Astresianism.

Nac Mac Feegle: Right, my thoughts exactly. :D

On planetouched: The FF is one book I don't have I'm afraid, but I don't intend on using planetouched beyond the four basic genasi and the aasimar and tieflings. My source for the genasi is the FRCS - I'm not sure where else they might have been printed. Were they in FF? If so then I think you can feel free to use them, I doubt they're too wildly different from my versions. If I see anything weird then I'll say.

I should point out, though, that actually we do have an Air Genasi submitted already, and no mention of an Aasimar, so 'everyone is going Aasimar or Tiefling' might be an overstatement. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads