Spell Idea-Blasting many undead (1 more Judge Vote needed!)

jaker2003

Explorer
Okay, I want to work out any mechanical issues with the spell (improper level, range, etc.) and find a better name. Ultimately seeking LEW approval for spell research.

[sblock=Original Version]
Storm of Positive Energy
Necromancy
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal, Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Multiple Rays
Duration: 1 round/2 levels (D)
Spell Resistance: See text.

For the duration of this spell, you may fire rays of positive energy at nearby targets as the disrupt undead spell. You may use a full attack action to fire a single ray at each target within range every round. A struck undead creature takes 1d6 damage.
A struck creature may negate the ray with its Spell Resistance. You can attack a maximum number of individual targets equal to your caster level.

A cleric could get this spell at 5th level, striking up to 5 targets within 35 ft. each round, for up to 2 rounds. The damage impact decreases when used against undead with Fast Healing. It seems to be a poor alternative to turning.
Maxed out at 20th level, striking up to 20 undead targets within 75 ft. each round, for up to 1 minute (10 rounds).

Compare to Arrow Storm from Complete Adventurer. That is a Ranger 4 spell that allows you to fire an arrow at a number of targets equal to your character level within the bow’s first range increment, but it only lasts one round.[/sblock]
Current Version in Post 45

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Seems kinda weak, to me. I'd rather see an Area-Effect undead blast spell that inflicts 1d8 damage a level to all undead in the region. Or, better yet, 1d6 damage to all undead per caster level, or 1 hit point of healing to all non-undead (PC or enemy) in the area of effect. Just to make it interesting.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'd rather it allow you to make an attack equivilent to Disrupt Undead for a number of rounds equal to your level. They're ranged touch attacks, and full attacks should get the extra itterative attack.

Let's see if I just can't write it out.

Storm of Positive Energy
Necromancy
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Duration: 1 round/ level (D)

For the duration of this spell, you may fire rays of positive energy at nearby targets as the disrupt undead spell as an attack action.

See, that's simpler, still useful, and doesn't result in 20 attack and damage rolls per round at high levels. Might be better as a Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 3 this way though.

jaker2003

Explorer
Bront said:
I'd rather it allow you to make an attack equivilent to Disrupt Undead for a number of rounds equal to your level. They're ranged touch attacks, and full attacks should get the extra itterative attack.
Maybe your right; maybe this is better.

Storm of Positive Energy
Necromancy
Level: Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: 1 round/ level (D)
For the duration of this spell, you may fire rays of positive energy at nearby targets as the disrupt undead spell as an attack action.

Can I talk anyone into bonus damage based on CL?
I was just going for a way to wail on undead for cheap, but maybe Wik's got an idea with limited healing?

Wik: I think you're looking for the Sunburst spell.

Last edited:

jaker2003

Explorer
Wait a minute, I just found a precedent! produce flame
That's a Drd 1, Fire 2 spell with a duration of 1 min./level (D), and is (other than the fire damage) a near match with Bront's proposed changes.
Okay, I'm going to try to restructure this to fit wtih the precedent.

Storm of Positive Energy
Necromancy
Level: Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: 1 min./ level (D)
Spell Resistance: Yes.
Your hands are enveloped in a soft glow that provides illumination as a torch. For the duration of this spell, you may fire rays of positive energy at nearby targets as an attack action. Each ray deals damage to undead equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.

I think this is much better, but there are a few issues left with this version:
  • I still think there may be a better name for it.
  • The range is still Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels), while the produce flame spell had a range of 120 ft.
  • This version deals a type of damage that can't be countered, unlike the fire damage of the precedent spell; though this may be countered by the higher spell level and the fact that it ignores non-undead targets.

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Actually, I was thinking of the 4th level Clerical attack spell - Flame Strike, I think. 1d6 a level, small area of effect. An undead-only spell, fairly small area of effect (30' diameter?), that also has limited healing, would be very "clerical" to me.

While a spell that has a bunch of ray effects would be great, and probably balanced, I just don't like the idea of "okay, roll ten dice" each round. Gah. It's really one of those spells that would take up a lot of game time to resolve without offering a huge amount of benefit, or one of those spells that exists solely to be swapped out for healing.

There's also the fact that clerics frequently have one round to cast an offensive spell; by the time they're casting 4th level spells, though, they don't often have TWO rounds to be casting spells. So, any spell that requires a cleric to spend an action on multiple turns in a combat... probably isn't gonna be used too often. (which is an argument FOR your produce flame damage bonus, btw)

At least an AoE spell that can be resolved and done in one round will be of more use to a clerical caster.

Bront

The man with the probe
You could change the range to 120, though it might be better at it's current incarnation and as a lower level spell even.

The druid version is level one, and this is positive energy, not fire, so it only hurts undead.

Wik

First Post
Except you can cast his spell as a swift action.

Really, though, I think that'd be fine - this spell is still pretty weak as written. And I doubt a cleric would ever use it, simply because they have more pressing concerns than ANY combat spell that requires actions over multiple rounds.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think the spell is fine in the new Produce Flame version. As a Swift spell, I was afraid for a moment that it might overpower Searing Light (which is one level higher), but it looks like it wouldn't--it can do more damage than SL, but it takes more actions.

Remove ads