From R&C: Pargon Paths & Epic Destinies

Belorin

Explorer
Searching thru the Chapters on Other Classes & Tiers here are some names for Paragon Paths & Epic Destinies:
Paragon Paths
Supposed to be 24 Paragon Paths each class leads to 3 paths.

Mentioned Paths
Vigilant Defender
Battle Captain
Mystic Theurge
Weapon Master
Prince of Knaves
Cavalier

Epic Destinies
Supposed to be a much smaller group than PP.

Mentioned Destinies
Archmage
Eternal Hero

Classes mentioned under the Swordmage
Bladesinger
Runic Warrior
Dervish
Wandering Seeker
Eldritch Knight

I might have missed some.
There will probably a few changes in most of the former Prcs, but some of the new paths/destinies sound really intriguing, Eternal Hero, shades of Micheal Moorcock!

Bel

Last edited:

Belorin

Explorer
Logan Bonner said:
Paragon Paths & Epic Destinies
Logan Bonner

The prestige class is dead. Long live the paragon path!
We have new ways to expand on your character at higher levels. You’ll pick up a paragon path at 11th level and it will carry you to 20th. At 21st your epic destiny kicks in and you’ll become a legend. In some ways they’re similar to prestige classes (and a few prestige classes have made the jump to paragon paths), buy they’re much cooler because you give up anything. As you leveling up in your main class, you’re also gaining abilities from your paragon path or epic destiny. At the same time the requirements are much simpler; they’re easier to understand and won’t make you jump through hoops.
The first Player’s Handbook design team consisted of Rich Baker, David Noonan and myself. The concepts of paragon paths and epic destinies were out there, but it was up to us to determine the way they were to work. We came up with a set progression for each with the idea that everybody would be getting, say, a per-encounter power at the same time. That way, they’d be easier to design and DM’s could mix, match, and tweak to get paragon paths that fit their campaigns. We also determined to loosen up the restriction prestige classes had. If we want you to be a wizard for a certain path, we’re going to tell you so.
The next step was to come up with a list of ones we wanted in the Player’s Handbook. We planned to include 12 paragon paths, so we saw that if we had each path based on 2 classes, each class would lead to 3 paths. (This was really just the basis. Most paths are quite broad, but we made sure each appealed strongly to at least 2 classes.) Quite a few old favorites came along (though they might look pretty different) but new ones like the weapon master, prince of knaves, and cavalier look really good and will let you play the character you’ve really wanted to be all this time. You want to be Robin Hood? No problem.
We divided the paths up to get 4 each. I picked up the cleric/paladin, paladin/fighter, fighter/ranger, and wizard/ranger paths. Dave grabbed all the, as he would say, “evil-curious” paragon paths. I’m not saying Dave is evil…but he does cackle maniacally on a regular basis.
Epic destinies are a smaller group, but each one gives you some huge benefits. Only a few are planned for the Player’s Handbook, but when you have the option to serve as the right-hand man to a god, become an undying warrior, or call dragons with a wave of your hand, more than a few choices will make your head explode in a burst of awesome. By the time you finish your epic destiny, you’ll be stomping down all challengers, breaking rules of science and odds are you’ll be immortal.

Edit - fixed quote tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitara

Explorer
Ok please please PLEASE rename Eldritch Knight to BattleMage, Warrior-mage Warcaster, etc or something!

Please! I like warrior-mages, but hate that term (Eldritch Knight)

Pinotage

Explorer
Does it mention if you have to take a paragon path or not? Seems kinda constraining if you're going to be forced into one. Presumably you can just carry on playing whatever heroic tier class you started with?

Pinotage

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Pinotage said:
Does it mention if you have to take a paragon path or not? Seems kinda constraining if you're going to be forced into one. Presumably you can just carry on playing whatever heroic tier class you started with?

Pinotage
From my reading of it they appear to be pretty integrated into the leveling system, but you keep leveling in your chosen class as well. They go in the "Special" column,
after feats and attribute increases. In my understanding.

It does, however, sound like it would be pretty easy to whip up an "Adventurous Wanderer" paragon path for PCs who somehow don't have a focus.

Green Knight

First Post

I expect Paladins and Fighters will be able to take this. It'll certainly be nice to be able to become a Cavalier while still advancing as a Paladin.

Mentioned Destinies
Archmage
Eternal Hero

That sounds interesting. I wonder what you get out of Eternal Hero?

Bladesinger
Runic Warrior
Dervish
Wandering Seeker
Eldritch Knight

I don't get this part. What does this mean, exactly? Are these Paragon Paths available to the Swordmage?

Nice seeing Bladesingers tied to Swordmages, though. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that works out. Whatever the case, I gotta say, I really love what I'm hearing of the Swordmage so far. To bad it won't be in the first PHB. Eladrin are gonna be pretty damn characterful with Eladrin Swordmages instead of plain old Fighters, for instance.

Belorin

Explorer
Belorin said:
Mentioned Destinies
Archmage
Eternal Hero

Green Knight said:
That sounds interesting. I wonder what you get out of Eternal Hero?

It says somewhere in there that you can be reincarnated, become immortal or even part of a pantheon.
Belorin said:
Bladesinger
Runic Warrior
Dervish
Wandering Seeker
Eldritch Knight
Green Knight said:
I don't get this part. What does this mean, exactly? Are these Paragon Paths available to the Swordmage?
These were in the other classes chapter under the Swordmages heading. Since they were mostly Prcs, I figured they were up for consideration as paths or destinies. Or they may be classes that might take the place of the swordmage, some were attached to a race;
Elf Bladesinger
Dwarf Runic Warrior
Tiefling Dervish
Wandering Seeker and Eldritch Knight were not connected to a race.

Klaus

First Post
>sigh<

My favorite PrClasses were the 5-level ones that you could take at 5th level. In 20 years of D&D, the highest level one of my games reached was 12th.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases