D&D 4E 4E Exotic Weapons?

Felnar

First Post
has there been any information on 3E's exotic weapons in 4E?

I completely expect to see the two-bladed sword
but will the spiked chain be coming back?

Gort

Explorer
Two-bladed sword I could live with. Dire flails and double axes looked like they'd take your own head off, dire maces are just quarterstaffs, the urgrosh and gnome hooked hammer seemed silly and I never saw them used, and the bastard sword and dwarven axe were just slight damage upgrades at the cost of a feat. The spiked chain was pretty stupid, to be honest. The idea that there's a weapon out there that's brutally effective but no army in the world ever bothered to use it is just stupid. It's like the idiots who think ninjas can really stop bullets and all that other rubbish - if it was actually possible, the armed forces of various countries would be doing it, and they don't.

I hope we see far more interesting weapons. Personally, I'd love to see weapons used as they actually were in reality - the greatsword is a good example. The "hold the hilt with two hands and use huge sweeping attacks" thing is only one of its uses - and this form of attack was used to break up pike formations. The sword was also used to club, with one hand on the blade and another on the hilt, it was used to stab with a similar grip. So really, the greatsword should be able to deal piercing, bludgeoning and slashing damage, with different levels of damage and reach with each attack, but the 3.5 D&D rules only allow you to use it as a big sweeping weapon, which in a duel-type fight would just get you killed very quickly by someone with a faster weapon.

Incenjucar

Legend
Frankly, most military weapons can do at least two, and very often all three damage types.

The distinction is mostly for mechanics for mechanics sake.

As for exotics, I really don't see much use for them.

Two-bladed swords? Just treat them as two swords that happen to be bonded together.

Gort

Explorer
Incenjucar said:
Two-bladed swords? Just treat them as two swords that happen to be bonded together.
So, how would you do that? Just use the same mechanics as for two-weapon fighting? Cause that's what 3e already does.

Incenjucar

Legend
Gort said:
So, how would you do that? Just use the same mechanics as for two-weapon fighting? Cause that's what 3e already does.

Exactly.

Really, there's no reason to treat it as anything special.

Just have some random smith weld the things together and move on.

Gort

Explorer
They just seem a little silly. You'd be worrying about where that other blade was going all the time, like having a rifle that shoots at you every time you fire on the enemy.

Incenjucar

Legend
Oh I'd never have the things show up in my campaigns. I'm just saying you can make the Darth Maul fans shut up without adding rules.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I'd rather see a a feat or a talent that granted flat weapon bonuses before I saw unbalanced weapons which required a feat to use.

Remove ads