How can my 12th sorcerer get acid for his Acid Rain Spell?

Vahktang

First Post
So, we're in the middle of the world's largest dungeon and my sorcerer is about to go up to 12th and get a 6th level spell.
I'd like to get Acid Rain but the material component is a flask of acid.
Which is in short supply down here.
I'll be able to change a 4th or lower spell, and we have a kind of wizard to do any 4th or lower spells, so, does anyone have an idea to get some acid flasks?
I have melf acid arrow, but I don't think I can use it to fill an acid flask.
Minor creation says specifically that you can't use it for a material component, so, I would say that would go for major creation, too.
I don't think I could get a lesser planar ally to go, either, though I could try.

Any thoughts?

captaincursor

First Post
If you have the Alchemy skill this would be a use for it. This should be within its uses to make acid out of various compounds that you would find in the dungeon. Crushing various rocks, harvesting stomach acids from the stomachs of slain creatures etc...

Doug McCrae

Legend
1. Take Eschew Materials as your 12th level feat.
2. Sick up your own stomach acid. This has the added bonus of keeping you slim and sexy.

shilsen

Adventurer
Have you spoken to your DM? This is the kind of thing that's going to depend a lot on what your DM allows or doesn't, so run the issue by him.

Aleolus

First Post
What book is Acid Rain from? It's not in the core books, as far as I've seen. Only 'Acid' spells are Acid Fog and Acid Splash, with Acid Splash not needing any material components, and Acid Fog needing a pinch of dried, powdered peas combined with powdered animal hoof.

frankthedm

First Post
Vahktang said:
So, we're in the middle of the world's largest dungeon and my sorcerer is about to go up to 12th and get a 6th level spell.
Then choose another spell. Eschew Materials can't help since the flask of acid is too expensive; Acid (flask) 10 gp 1 lb.

Aleolus

First Post
Or you could take Material Substitution. Custom feat I made, where you can make a Spellcraft check, then (assuming you succeed) you can use anything in place of any moderatly costly material component (moderately being less than 1000 GP). Only downside is that you take a -2 effective caster level.

mvincent

Explorer
Vahktang said:
It seems like acid would be one of the more easily obtainable material components (oozes, stomach acid, citrus, etc.), unless the spell is specifically refering to the 10gp acid flask from the goods and services table... even then, an ooze or most things with the swallow whole ability could supply it.

does anyone have an idea to get some acid flasks?
The Fabricate spell.

I have melf acid arrow, but I don't think I can use it to fill an acid flask.
Since it's a Conjuration (Creation), I'd allow it for this purpose (especially considering the setting). However, you'd have better RAW support if you instead use Acid Splash (i.e. an Instantaneous Conjuration-Creation) since the rules says:
"Creation
A creation spell manipulates matter to create an object or creature in the place the spellcaster designates (subject to the limits noted above). If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, magic holds the creation together, and when the spell ends, the conjured creature or object vanishes without a trace. If the spell has an instantaneous duration, the created object or creature is merely assembled through magic. It lasts indefinitely and does not depend on magic for its existence."

I don't think I could get a lesser planar ally to go, either
A lantern archon would probably be happy to teleport somewhere to pick some up for you (send him with a bag and some cash), but I don't think that can be done in the The World's Largest Dungeon.

A Babau demon could provide you with corrosive goo though.

Last edited:

Claudius Gaius

First Post
It doesn't say it has to be strong acid or especially pure. Squeeze a pickle from your sandwich over a flask of water. Vinegar is an acid. Take a bit of straw and blow bubbles through some water. Carbon Dioxide from your breath will make water a weak acid. Stick a finger down your throat and get some stomach acid. Let some milk go sour: the sourness is a weak acid.

rgard

Adventurer
Claudius Gaius said:
It doesn't say it has to be strong acid or especially pure. Squeeze a pickle from your sandwich over a flask of water. Vinegar is an acid. Take a bit of straw and blow bubbles through some water. Carbon Dioxide from your breath will make water a weak acid. Stick a finger down your throat and get some stomach acid. Let some milk go sour: the sourness is a weak acid.

I'm blinded by science!

You win the thread!!!

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases