Doctor Who (Season 4) - Voyage of the Damned (SPOILERS)

horacethegrey

First Post
Hrm. Well, just watched this. And my reaction to it is a bit... meh.

I'll start off with the negatives first. While Russell T. Davies can occasionally pen a dramatic and witty script, he often frames said scripts with some of the most half assed scifi concepts I've ever seen (for the record, I still haven't forgiven him for his half assed vision of the End of Time in last season's Utopia). A humanoid alien race goes vacation cruising on a space luxury liner so they can witness the time honored Earthly tradition of war and genocide that is Christmas? Riiiiggghhhhtttt... Of course, there's also the ill fated attempts at lighthearted cheekiness here that come across as belabored and quite silly (and not in a good way). Davies now seems to have a difficult time balancing the comedic and dramatic tones, unlike before in the earlier seasons.

On to the positives though, the dramatic moments here were quite effective. I was quite surprised by how many of the Doctor's band of survivor's were killed. Made for some rather dark proceedings in what should be a lighthearted holiday special. The performances I have no real complaints about. David Tennant was excellent as always, though he occasionally roamed into silly displays of character from time to time (another peeve I have with Davies' writing), holds the thing together with an arresting performance. But the real surprise was Kylie Minogue, who holds her ground quite well and has real chemistry with Tennant. That farewell she and the Doctor shared was quite touching, truly. :(

So there you have it, while I wouldn't say it was terrible, this special felt quite lackluster and utterly uninspiring. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Davies should take a reduced role in penning the big series episodes and leave them in the hands of capable writers like Paul Cornell or perhaps even Steven Moffat (c'mon, who didn't like Time Crash? :) ).

Still, can't complain. We got that big preview of the new season at the end, plus a preview of Torchwood season 2 as well which I must say looked quite intriguing (just hope the writings improved a lot :\ ).

Anyways, Happy Holidays everyone. Peace.

hopeless

Adventurer
Regarding this

Have to admit I pretty much guessed what was going to happen to a couple of the characters although the one I really hated ended up surviving however it did give that speech from the guy who thought Xmas was about the people of Uk warring on the people of Turkey and eating them afterwards good cause for thought.

Shame about the villain but for me that was the weak spot, it was nice to see some competent characters for a change instead of the doctor having to shoulder the burden alone the movie showed that he wasn't the only hero of the piece and that worked well for me at least.

Enjoyed the part played by Bernard Cribbins especially how he explained certain circumstances which you'll understand when you watch it however it would have worked better if they threw in the motive that previous visits to Earth left the visitors in the care of Torchwood after that bit at the end of season 2 where they shot down ships they caught near their airspace since that would have made a far better motive for their plans for Earth than what was given.

It boiled down to a simple criminal plot which was a shame and I would have preferred more of the passengers and crew to survive than they apparently did.

I'll stop there in case I've revealed too much and see what the rest of you thought.

Have a happy new year in any case!

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
I enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun little homage to The Poseidon Adventure. I rather liked it that they were actually willing to kill off Kylie's character, rather than coming up with some lame excuse to have her part with the Doctor at the end.

I liked the robots, which reminded me of the robots in Robots of Death, which is one of my favorites from the Tom Baker era.

I suspect we were seeing a taste of what the series will be exploring in the new season. The Doctor does in fact have god-like powers, which he's been using rather more freely now that he's the last of the Time Lords. I think he's going to run into trouble with that and need his companions to reign him in before he starts to get too much like the Master. I liked Mr. Copper's comment to him that "If you could decide who lives and who dies, you'd be a monster."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
hopeless said:
Enjoyed the part played by Bernard Cribbins especially how he explained certain circumstances which you'll understand when you watch it however it would have worked better if they threw in the motive that previous visits to Earth left the visitors in the care of Torchwood after that bit at the end of season 2 where they shot down ships they caught near their airspace since that would have made a far better motive for their plans for Earth than what was given.

Best sentence I've ever seen! My eyes actually managed to glaze over halfway thorugh it - and I thought that was just a literary contrivance! I know now: it really happens!

I still haven't gotten to the end of it!

sniffles

First Post
Morrus said:
Titanic, surely?
Despite the name of the ship, it seemed very much like Poseidon Adventure to me. Especially the couple of size being reminescent of Shelley Winters' character in that film, and having the characters climb up through the bowels of the ship. I half expected the ship to roll over. Too bad they didn't have the special effects budget to have the characters walking on the ceiling.

But I haven't seen the James Cameron Titanic, so perhaps it has more similarities to that film than I'm aware of.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
sniffles said:
But I haven't seen the James Cameron Titanic, so perhaps it has more similarities to that film than I'm aware of.

I wasn't referring to that movie; James Cameron didn't even enter my head. I was referring to... you know... The Titanic. The movie was based on a real ship, y'know! ;)

It left Southampton about a quarter of a mile down the road from me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases