Savage Worms (AoW+Savage Worlds)

Grunk

First Post
Hey All,

After my AoW campaign stalled out at a Gathering of Winds (largely due to system slow-down of 10th-12th level) my group has been having fun playing other games. However, we would like to get back to the campaign but with a different system. I just picked up SW: Explorer Edition and it looks great for our purposes (Fast! Fun! Furious!).

I was wondering if anyone has any resources, tips, experience or advice porting D&D 3.5 (specifically the AoW AP) into SW.

Any help is appreciated!

Grunk

Neil Bishop

First Post
Howdy,

I'm working through similar issues at the moment as I convert a couple of FR campaigns over to Savage Worlds ("Savage Realms").

I would make the following general suggestions:

- find a copy of the PDF Savage Beasts by Butch Curry for some d20 monster conversions to give you some ideas; and
- buy the fantasy toolkits from RPGNow.com (although the character generator toolkit is not that much of a necessity) for more guidelines, ideas and new powers.

I haven't got any specific recommendations for the Age of Worms series but hope to check back in from time to time to see if someone else has. ;)

My group is really looking forward to trying Savage Worlds particularly because it has a functional mass combat system. As the DM, I'm looking forward to having a game that is easier to prepare for and to run while still preserving the ability to create unique characters.

Grunk

First Post
Hey Hey!

I checked out Savage Beasts and the d20 conversion kit (Savageheroes.com is an awesome resource!) As for the toolkits, what can you tell me about them? They look pretty pricey. Are they worth it? You cautioned against the character builder; might I ask for a little more detail?

From where I'm standing it seems that spells are going to be the biggest conversion pain. Monsters (especially the unique beasties that litter AoW) can be hand-waved pretty easily, but finding a good (balanced) magic system could be more of a challange. How does SW stack up?

Thanks a lot for the replies. :)

Pepster

First Post
In the Fantasy GM's toolkit you will find 40+ new powers (spells). I have been using those to help convert a couple of the Goodman Games modules to Savage Worlds.

Pepster

Neil Bishop

First Post
If your budget is a problem, yes, stick to the free stuff on Savage Heroes but otherwise I do recommend the toolkits but provide a little more information for your consideration:

- World Builder: as the previous poster mentioned, it gives you 40+ new powers (aka spells);
- Gear: magic items and the edges to make them.
- Monsters: lots of classic examples from fantasy which can be the building blocks of any conversions.
- Character Generator: (and this it is why it is possibly the least useful but I bought it anyway) lots of tables to randomly generate all aspects of a character's background etc....

I would definitely spend some time working on the trappings for spells in your campaign. Clerics of Kyuss tossing out worm bolts and worm blasts, surrounded by a barrier of worms etc.... Very cool; very flavoursome. ;)

Flynn

First Post
Here are two threads I've started that deal with Savage Worlds in a Fantasy environment. I hope that they help you with your quest:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=212054

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=213056

I find that the spellcasters have fewer spells to select from under Savage Worlds, but at the same time, it still captures a lot of the flavor of your typical adventure, since spellcasters usually only get off a few spells anyway before the combat is over. I ran a converted Goodman Games adventure and it worked perfectly. I had a great time with it, and the players loved it, too.

Food for Thought, Anyway,
Flynn

Grunk

First Post
Neil,

Yep, still interested in pulling this off. My budgets a bit constrained to buy the toolkits right now, and my gaming group is just starting a Primetime Adventures series next Monday (5 sessions), so it'll be a while before I actually use any of this. Prep is going to be essential though, so any help is appreciated!

Noam

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases