EN World's State of the... Website... Address

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's New Year's Eve! First off, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year; I hope that 2008 proves to be a great year for everyone, for EN World, and for the RPG industry.

This last year has been a tough one - as you probably know, EN World is beset by multiple bugs, and we're working hard to bring about EN World II. EN World II promises to be a major step forward - it will offer new features, update old features, and promise to be bug-free. We realise that the old site is falling apart at the seams, and what's coming it bright, shiny and new.

You can see a "preview" of the new forums section here. Please feel free to try it out; in fact, try to break it! The more info we get from you now, the better. Already you can see the new Blogs system which will be a large part of EN World II; and you can look forward to a Gamer-Gamer matchup system, and a Publisher-Freelancer job vacancy/feedback system which handles everything from job ads to submissions, to contracts.

GenCon this year was a blast; I'd like to shout out to everyone who I met for the first time this year, as well as old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Living on a different continent to most of you can make personal interactions few and far between. I'd especially like to thank Xath and Mik, who put me up (put up with me!) in Washington DC this year after GenCon, to Dangergirl! and The_Universe for the wonderful barbeque they held, which was attended by dozens of EN Worlders and CMers, and to Piratecat and KidCthulhu who brightened up the post-GenCon slump by visiting us here in England. Also, I must thank Denise and the ENnies crew for putting on a top-notch, classy show this year. And finally to The Rouse and the folks at WotC, who arranged for an all-expenses-paid trip for me to GenCon this year. Next year - Eric Noah, you'd better come to GenCon - or we'll be tracking you down!

Finances have been hard over the last year; and since 4E was announced, EN Publishing's (the publishing branch of EN World) sales have dropped by about 80%. We've had a donation drive in the last year, an EN Publishing sale, and currently there's an advertising sale going on. I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone how they can support EN World (and Circvs Maximvs, if that's your cup of tea):
  • Buy EN Publishing stuff in PDF or print formats.
  • Get yourself a community supporter account. Of course, buggy as the site is (come on EN World II) the automated system is, naturally, broken. So you'll need to paypal the amount directly to me at russmorrissey@gmail.com. A year is $19.99, and gets you access to the search function, custom titles, and other bits and peices.
  • Are you a publisher? Or just got something you'd like to say? You can buy advertising - and don't forget there's a 2:1 ad sale right now!
  • Finally, if none of the above appeals, and you still feel like supporting what is (hopefully!) one of your favourite websites, donations are always gratefully received, large or small. You can donate via PayPal to russmorrissey@gmail.com. Remember - not matter how good or bad the "business" side is, server fees are always due every month.
So, what's coming in 2008? Well, we have the big EN World II launch, of course. And, as you can't have missed, D&D 4th Edition is being launched in June - and I'm committed to bringing you every scoop, big or small, as soon as it comes in. I think that now is a good time to assure everyone that EN World will be fully supportive of both 3.x and 4E gamers. I'd also like to point out that while I, personally, am looking forward to 4E, EN World is not "pro" or "anti" 4E or 3E (well, apparently, depending on who you are we're simultaneously pro-4E, anti-4E, pro-3E and anti-3E... but that's another discussion!)

I hope everybody has a fantastic New Year, and a wonderful 2008.

- Morrus.

Remove ads