Discussion - General Discussion Thread '08

Phoenix8008

First Post
Just to let everyone know, I've been unable to access ENworld for the last 3 days. I'll be updating all my games as soon as possible tonight or tomorrow morning.

Trouvere

Explorer
At Wizard's official SRD and at the sovelior_sage SRD, the entry for the spell Blacklight, reads in part: "The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary cast on a mobile object." This is the version that we have in LEW's Rules and Mechanics thread, too. There seem to be a word missing.

In the spell's original appearance in the 3.0 FRCS and then subsequently in the Spell Compendium, the line reads "the effect is stationary unless you cast it cast [sic] on a mobile object", which seems to be the usual way such spells work.

But in the d20srd.org entry, the word "when" has been substituted: "the effect is stationary when cast on a mobile object". I don't know whether that version appears anywhere else, it's a unique mechanic as far as I know, and I'm not even sure how it could work.

I'm strongly considering having my Wiz 5 learn Blacklight, but only if it functions as in the Spell Compendium version.

What do you folks think?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=funny answer] when the spell is cast on a mobile object, the person carrieing said object causes the whole universe to move around the mobile object at the wil of possessor, therfore the mobile object is stationary in the space time continumand the actual spell seems stationary.[/sblock]

i would agree that the spell compendium has the accurate description and the srd has a typo.

Knight Otu

First Post
In the spell's original appearance in the 3.0 FRCS and then subsequently in the Spell Compendium, the line reads "the effect is stationary unless you cast it cast [sic] on a mobile object", which seems to be the usual way such spells work.
Going to the source through which the spell entered the SRD, Deities and Demigods, the same wording is used (sans the second cast), so it's clearly an unintentional omission, and the Spell Compendium has it right.

[sblock]Edit: As it happens, this is my 11111th post. :eek:[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases