Tavern - City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn '08

thegreyman

First Post
A small kobold female walks through the door with her clothes very dirty and looking footsore. She pauses before the bar and says quietly, "I'm Lily, mage apprentice" before darting off to the side of the bar. After a few tries, she manages to hop up on a stool and orders a large plate of food, which she promptly consumes. A large rat crawls from inside her robes and helps her finish the food.

Later after finding out about the treasure map, she heads over to where the group is gathering. "I... may be able to help... if that is okay? I know several small magics to repair things..."

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy Worthallingham, Wizard 3

Tommy listens attentively to Fimble's story. "That.... seems a strange coincidence, that after years of lying safely hidden, the treasure should be stolen just after your father learned its location. You, uh, don't have any other family members who might have been present at your grandmother's deathbed? A nosy neighbor, perhaps?" he suggests tentatively when the story is done. [color=silver["Still, whatever happened, it seems clear that this shovel is a connection to the mystery. We should certainly investigate it along with the blueprints, and our previous plan of enlisting the services of a bard..."[/color] he glances at Keldar before continuing, "...that is, a more experienced bard, still seems sound. I'll leave the business of making such contact to you, Keldar."

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar, Bard 20, posing as Rogue 1/Fighter 2

"At least we can be sure it's not the Royal Seal on the shovel, since I'd hate to think the king had regretted his generosity. I'd suspect a neighbour or the black sheep of the family, too. Unless you're the black sheep, of course, Fimble. One note strikes me as odd - why leave rocks in a chest, when it's obvious it's been robbed?"

"Well, you're right, Tommy... time to find a bard. I think my previous plan is sound."

Keldar hops up and opens the tavern door. "I'm afraid it's another coarse bawdy song. Not the sort of thing I go in for, in the main, favouring courtly high verse myself, but just the sort of new song that another bard would come running for the chance to learn, to sing for a few coppers in a less worthy establishment."

He sings, louder than usual, half into the room, half outside.

"I try to be modest and humble and pure,
But I carry a burden that's hard to endure:
My rugged handsomeness sets hearts afire;
Sweet maids and grown women are filled with desire.
But they yearn in vain, for my heart is won,
My wenching days are over and done.

Yet though I am taken, I'm still a man
Who knows some of my sex must find love where they can,
And when there are sailors arriving in port
You'll also find ladies a-ready to sport.
Though I blush to mention, I have been told
That money swaps hands, both silver and gold.
Most sailors are ugly and lacking in style:
I doubt not they'll purchase what they can't beguile.

Nevertheless, as I survey this crowd,
I realise that sailors can hold themselves proud!
It's rare that I've seen so horrid a view
As a room of adventurers, Sirs, such as you!
So then before you seek love for a price,
Hear, I beseech thee, my honest advice.

Don't overlook halflings, for there's a place
And a time for a girl who comes up to your waist.
She might be much shorter, but there's small disgrace,
And she'll doubtless be grateful to not see your face.

If you believe you carry the muscle,
An orcish lass might be good for a tussle.
There's only one thing that might give her pause:
The yellowing teeth that stand in your jaws.

Elf girls are skinny, but you can't go wrong,
'Cos they don't need to sleep, and they go all night long.
But don't be tempted to make one your wife –
Your mother-in-law will be there your whole life!

But even a sailor just back at the wharf
Ought to know better than to sleep with a dwarf.
For half-elves are pretty and half-orcs are strong
And hybrids much rarer are heard of in song,
But dwarf girls, though hearty, all have a great flaw
That's left many a sailor wishing he could… withdraw
And go back loveless to the waves and the foam:
A human-dwarf pairing produces… a gnome!
Yes, let me repeat, to be sure that it's known,
If you lie with a dwarf, you may father a gnome!

Thank you for listening, my song is now done,
There's a gnome in the room, so I’d better run!"​
He does.

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy's mouth hangs open uselessly as he watches Keldar's disappearing form. After a moment, he turns to the bar. "Joe? Something strong, please."

jaker2003

Explorer
thegreyman said:
Later after finding out about the treasure map, she heads over to where the group is gathering. "I... may be able to help... if that is okay? I know several small magics to repair things..."
Oskar eyes the kobold for a moment before kneeling down. His wide face straight across from her long one, he asks, could you mend this, mage? Oskar holds up the battered map so that Lily can easily see and touch it.

OOC: entertaining song!

thegreyman

First Post
Lily nods, dropping her eyes to keep from direct eye contact, before whispering a few words and touching the map with a claw. All of the rips and tears, and most of the winestains disappear from the map.

ooc: 'Course, I'm not sure if it's more readable...

ooc: Throws a gold piece to Touvere. You sir, are an artist!

Solange

First Post
covaithe said:
Tommy's mouth hangs open uselessly as he watches Keldar's disappearing form. After a moment, he turns to the bar. "Joe? Something strong, please."
"Perhaps you'd best get a wineskin to go," Rapture says. She looks as Keldar walks out the door and then back at Tommy, "Or maybe a barrel"

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
thegreyman said:
Lily nods, dropping her eyes to keep from direct eye contact, before whispering a few words and touching the map with a claw. All of the rips and tears, and most of the winestains disappear from the map.

The map is purged of curls and stains. The tears and creases disappear, leaving it in much better shape. It is still faded, and it is still covered in poorly preserved writing in some language that is indecipherable to Oskar, Barask, or Lily. Only the words ARTIFACT HERE, written in common, are legible.

jaker2003

Explorer
thegreyman said:
Oskar nods, Thank you, mage. Does anyone recognize any of the landscape depicted here?

Remove ads