Some maps & artwork from my campaign.

Kris

Adventurer
Blackrat said:
Oh wow. Ever considered being overly generous and creating few tiles for the latest Dungeon Crafter? I'd really love to get those water and grass effects as 72x72 pixel tiles.
I could create a couple of sea and grass tiles... but unfortunately they wouldn't be seamless when you piece them together (i.e. the pattern wouldn't repeat perfectly over 72 pixels - resulting in an obvious join).

Kris

Adventurer
Fallen Seraph said:
I am wondering, obviously you intend to use those for your campaign, so for the larger maps how do you go about printing them out at proper size? Do you take them to a print-shop?
Yeah, I think most of the above have seen some use (except those in the very first post). However, most of my gaming over the past year or so has been done online. It's far from perfect but is the only way I can get my 'fix' right now. Therefore, I don't need to print the maps out at the moment - as I only need to display them in the map window of OpenRPG... e.g.
openrpgwindow.jpg

However, I do hope to get into a 'proper' game again sometime soon (always hopeful - as you might be able to tell in my other thread by the fact that I'm still painting miniatures in preparation :) ), and as such I've tried printing some of these maps out at 'battlemat' scale (just on draft quality - as I wouldn't expect them to be used more than once or twice), and gluing them together - and this seems to work out OK.

Obviously, when they are printed out at this 1" = 5 ft. scale the images themselves can become a little blocky, but I've tried increasing the size of the maps and then adding an effect or two over the top of them to eliminate some of this.

haversian

First Post
Kris said:
[...]as such I've tried printing some of these maps out at 'battlemat' scale[...]

Would people be interested in having large maps printed out?

I recently purchased a wide-format printer (54") and would be happy to have it see more use than I can generate. I have to crunch some more numbers and get some more practical experience with it, but I ought to be able to profitably (for suitably low valuation of my time) print large maps on coated or photo paper for under $1/sq ft, shipped anywhere in the US.

Kryndal Levik

First Post
haversian said:
Would people be interested in having large maps printed out?

I recently purchased a wide-format printer (54") and would be happy to have it see more use than I can generate. I have to crunch some more numbers and get some more practical experience with it, but I ought to be able to profitably (for suitably low valuation of my time) print large maps on coated or photo paper for under $1/sq ft, shipped anywhere in the US.

Yeah, I'd definitely be interested!

haversian

First Post
Kryndal Levik said:
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested!

Well, that's one yea vote.

You've apparently disabled the email form, so you're going to have to email me to work out particulars. I just tested the email gateway form, and it's making it through my maze of mail filters intact.

I'll need to try printing large solid blocks of color on coated paper to see whether they cockle too much. I'm hoping not, because that will be cheaper and it will lie flat more easily. But if that's a no go, then photo paper it is. When you want to use the map, you'll have to weight it down to undo the curl from being in a roll and then being mailed in a roll as well.

Anyway, send me an email and we can talk about what you'd like printed.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
The tower and the manor house are just what I need for the next part of the epic I run. There's a black tower with "evil stuff" in it and I couldn't get a good map done. I'm gonna use this if you don't mind :D

I wish I could do maps like that, but all I have is Dungeon Crafter and AutoRealm, which aren't bad but can be a pain in the butt and don't come close to this.

Xath

Moder-gator
Wow, Kris! Your map-work is really amazing. You have a great versatility and diversity of style. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Nice stuff - I particularly like the manor house and small town; they suit my preferred lo-tech style, but the color stuff is really nice as well...!

Kris

Adventurer
Thanks for the complements :)

Lwaxy said:
The tower and the manor house are just what I need for the next part of the epic I run. There's a black tower with "evil stuff" in it and I couldn't get a good map done. I'm gonna use this if you don't mind.
Isn't there always :) ...I hope my maps work out well for what you have in mind. I myself have kinda got some descriptions and notes for the ground floor of the manor typed up if that's of interest to anyone... but it's probably pretty lame stuff and specific to my own campaign world in a few places.

Xath said:
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Most of what I do is not really that 'artistic' but involves a lot of patience and drawing simple shapes. Most of these 'styles' have taken a lot of time to get right (though I still tinker with them from time to time), but the basic picture usually starts of as a number of simple lines and shapes, and just gets different styles and effects added to it in photoshop.

I attempted a to do a quick dungeon tutorial over on this message board (where I post as 'hador'):
http://forums.rpghost.com/showthread.php?t=42788
...it's not very good - but someone did a similar (and better guide) using some free software a little lower down.

Hope that helps.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases