D&D 3E/3.5 Rebuilding 3e (3.75 if you will) - My Rendition, a work in progress

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm starting this thread because I have been cogitating over ideas for how to improve 3.5. At first I just wanted a simple set of rules that would make the game a bit easier to play and hearken back to old times. But as the list grew more extensive, I realized this would be a more monumental task than I had envisioned.

Below are reserved threads for my ideas, compiled based on chapters from the Player's Handbook, plus a section on Prestige Classes and a section on Monsters. I will update these as time goes on. Please offer your feedback on any of these ideas and please do not troll. If you don't like the way my vision of the game is headed and you can't think of anything constructive to say, it would be a better use of both our time to not argue.

The purpose of this thread is to compile and discuss a list of perceived problems with 3.5 and various methods used to address them. I have come up with a number of what I consider to be excellent solutions, but there are other problems I have more difficulty addressing, and some of my solutions can probably be tweaked even better.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Problems/Issues/Proud Nails in 3.5

1. Multiclass Characters I don't like AD&D racial level limits, but it is too easy to pick up a new class in 3e. Need I point out the oft-mentioned absurdity of an illiterate barbarian waking up one day with a spellbook full of spells? Even the assumption that he has been learning all along is hard to swallow when it only took a couple weeks or even days of adventuring.

2. Power Attack This feat has two big problems with it. First of all, it is too variable. At 15th level, a fighter has 16 different attack bonuses and damage bonuses. The math isn't too hard... until you factor in that the player is probably adding in numerous bonuses from elsewhere at that point. The second problem is that it favors two-handed weapons too much. Statistically, there is rarely a benefit to using Power Attack with a one-handed weapon anyway. Although shield feats from PH2 help make up for this, sword-in-board is still considered inferior. Both should offer exciting options, but one is clearly better mechanically, so that is what players usually go for.

3. Skills I have a number of problems with skills in general (not particular skills though). Mechanically, most of the skills work in a well-balanced fashion. But the way skills are organized is troublesome. First, some skills simply aren't worth investing in. When was the last time you saw anyone with serious ranks in Appraise or Use Rope? And Knowledge (geography) just isn't as sexy as Knowledge (the planes). Second, skill synergies, while a good idea in theory, end up being a bother to keep track of, especially when creating characters above 1st level. Who really cares to note that 5 ranks in Knowledge (dungeoneering) gives you a +2 on Survival checks underground? Does it really come up that often? It creates sub-skills within a sub-skill in some cases. Skills already take up a huge portion of the character sheet. Finally, skills are boring and practically worthless for some characters, and vital for others. All characters should be able to have at least a few useful skills.

4. Monk So many cool abilities, but not very cool to play at 1st level. Even after the 3.5 fix added bonus feats at 1st, 2nd, and 6th the class still doesn't really come into its own until around 10th level. It should be fun to play from beginning to end.

5. Bard Actually my main complaint with this class has little to do with power. The bard is a powerful class, but only in the right context. A campaign with lots of social interaction and intelligent opponents gives the bard a chance to shine. A dungeon-crawl campaign where the most common foe is a mindless predator does not. My problem with the bard lies in the fact that it lost a lot of the flavor that made it interesting in AD&D. A bard should be more of a druidical figure. That is the historical archetype upon which the class is based.

6. Vancian Magic I hear 4e is going a long way towards fixing this--perhaps too long. I think Vancian magic is an important part of D&D. But it is no fun when you are a wizard out of spells. Reserve feats were a great idea to help mitigate this problem, but they need to be more integrated into the rules since they are more of an afterthought to the game.

7. Fighter Could this class be any more boring? I liked it back in AD&D when fighters were the ones who got the coolest castles and the most minions. We need to bring that back.

8. Magic Item Creation I don't think I could say it any better than Gary Gygax in the 1e DMG. The player characters should be out having adventures and exploring, not sitting in dimly lit rooms, pouring through dusty tomes, researching arcane formulae. (I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact location of the quote.) It's fine to have rules for magic item creation, but 3e makes it too easy and too tempting. It is also one of the main reasons we see the Christmas Tree Effect.

9. The Christmas Tree Effect Speaking of the Christmas Tree Effect, there are too many spells in existence that stack with each other that have durations that go on practically all day. A more powerful spell should provide a better bonus, not last all day. Greater magic weapon does both compared to its lesser cousin. Besides, what's cool about a +3 longsword when your 9th-level cleric has one 9 hours out of the day anyway?

10. Spiked Chain Ignoring the fact that wielding the weapon the rules suggest you should would be nearly impossible, the spiked chain is too good mechanically. It should let you threaten 10 feet away or 5 feet away, but not both at the same time. I think that implies far too much control on the part of the wielder than is physically possible anyway.

11. Armor Space is wasted on armor player characters will never wear anyway (at least not for more than a few sessions). Chain mail and splint mail come immediately to mind.

12. Injury and Death The hit point system isn't perfect, but it is a necessary evil. What I hate is that you can be knocked down to 0 hp and still be up, knowing the monster has another attack this round, and he hasn't dealt less than 24 points of damage per strike yet. It's not a fun situation. At least there are some variants in Unearthed Arcana that address this.

13. Metamagic Feats What a great idea. What horrible implementation. Giving spellcasters ways to improve existing spells is great, but requiring that they use a higher level spell slot means these feats rarely get used, even the cool ones like quicken and maximize.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Classes

1. The assassin is a base class. Like the AD&D assassin, it is less skilled than the thief, but gains a death attack.
2 (option a). The fighter gains followers as per the Leadership feat. To gain a cohort, a fighter must actually take the Leadership feat, however. A fighter's leadership score for the purpose of determining followers is equal to his fighter level plus his Charisma modifier plus any miscellaneous modifiers. A fighter is responsible for arming and equipping his followers, plus paying them a wage dependent upon their level and skill (usually 2 sp per day per level for an NPC class and 4 sp per day per level for a PC class), as well as their upkeep costs, if any.
2 (option b). The fighter gains a bonus fighter feat every level.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Skills

1. The skill list is condensed into a more manageable format.
[sblock=Skill List (under construction)]
Below is a list of new skills followed by the old skills that they incorporate. Some skills incorporate only part of an old skill, which is noted in parentheses when necessary.

Acrobatics (Dex) Balance, Escape Artist, Jump, and Tumble
Alertness (Con) Listen, Search, and Spot (I wish to note that the decision to base this skill on Constitution is twofold. First of all, it makes more sense that your vision and hearing deteriorate as you get older. It makes more sense that a youth in good health would be blessed with keen senses than a wise old man. Second of all, Constitution really ought to have more skills based upon it than just Concentration. Another note I wish to make is that Trapfinding should be a feat which rogues receive at 1st level which allows them to use this skill to locate and disarm traps with a DC higher than 20.)
Arcana (Int) Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft (as it pertains to arcane magic only) (Note that this ability allows a character to identify any creature of the magical type.)
Chicanery (Int) Disguise and Forgery (I've also dabbled with calling the skill Espionage, but that doesn't seem to fit the milieu. I'm open to suggestions.)
Climb (Str) Climb and Use Rope (secure a grappling hook only, although this use is based on Dex; this skill within a skill use may be a bit complicated though so its still on the chopping block)
Concentration (Con) Concentration
Cosmology (Int) Knowledge (the planes) (This skill is also used to identify supernatural creatures with the immortal subtype. This will typically include only elementals and outsiders.)
Handle Animal (Cha) Handle Animal
Heal (Wis) Heal
Intimidate (Cha) Intimidate (I wish to note that use of this skill should be more flexible than simply using a character's Charisma modifier. Characters should be able to use their Strength modifier when a show of strength--particularly one's ability to inflict pain--is pertinent to the situation.)
Lore (Int)Appraise, Decipher Script, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), and Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (What this skill essentially represents is a well-rounded liberal arts education or simply having picked up a lot of bits and pieces of information throughout one's life. It combines several oft-ignored skills into one that will be more interesting for characters to take as it potentially allows them to deal with a smattering of different situations, rather than one or two rather obscure situations.)
Nature (Int) Knowledge (dungeoneering) (caverns, spelunking, and identifying oozes only), Knowledge (geography), and Knowledge (nature)
Persuasion (Cha) Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information (Note that this differs from the Intimidate skill in that it involves cajoling cooperation or information out of someone, while Intimidate involves forcing information out of someone. Both can be used for the same purpose, but have different side-effects.)
Perform (Cha) Perform
Religion (Int) Knowledge (religion) and Spellcraft (as it pertains to divine magic only)
Ride (Dex) Ride
Sabotage (Dex) Disable Device and Open Lock (I'm not sure if Sabotage conveys the true purpose of this skill, but I am at a loss to think of something better. The general idea is that the character knows how mechanisms, simple and small work enough to break or disable them. I think it is also important to note that opening a lock or disabling a trap doesn't necessarily mean leaving said mechanism intact. Doing so should probably require beating the DC by 5 or possibly 10.)
Search (Wis) Search (find secret passages only) and Survival (track only) (The idea here is that the Alertness skill is typically something done reflexively or reactively. It is a measure of the ability of your five senses. Search represents attention to detail.
Speak Language (Int) Speak Language (This should have been a proper skill in the first place. You don't even need complex rules for it. A basic conversation, like asking for directions, would require a DC 10 check, meaning anyone could attempt it. A complicated conversation, such as talking about current events or giving precise instructions, would require a DC 15 check. A technical conversation would require a DC 20 check. Since you would be able to take 10 most of the time with this skill anyway, it would create a very clear benchmark for how many ranks your character needs to become proficient (able to reach DC 15 by taking 10) and to become fluent (able to reach DC 20 by taking 10).
Stealth (Dex) Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand
Survival (Wis) Survival (but see Track, below)
Swim (Str) Swim
Track (Wis) As the feat, but now it is merely its own skill.
Trade (Int) Craft and Profession (There really isn't a purpose for two skills when PCs will rarely take either. But cutting it out completely leaves no benchmark for who is a better artisan, businessman, etc.)
Use Magic Device (Cha) Use Magic Device

This list is almost half the size of that in the Player's Handbook, cutting the total number of skills down from 45 to 24.[/sblock]
2. There is no longer a difference between class skills and cross class skills. One skill point always purchases one rank in any skill.

placeholder

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Feats

1. Power Attack applies a -4 penalty to attacks for 1 round and doubles damage dice. Like a sneak attack, this dice is not doubled on a critical hit.
2. Combat Expertise does not stack with fighting defensively. It replaces fighting defensively. Combat Expertise applies a -4 penalty to attacks for 1 round and grants a +4 bonus to AC. (bonus type pending)
3. Metamagic feats. Personally, I am very fond of the Unearthed Arcana variant that grants you three daily uses "on the fly" without increasing the spell's level, while still limiting it to the maximum spell level you would be capable of under the existing rules. I think this ought to be core.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Equipment

1. The max Dex bonus from armor is out. Armor already slows a character down.
2. Get rid of some redundant armor types, like breastplate and splint mail.

placeholder

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Combat

1. Action types more standardized. Rules Compendium goes a long way towards clarifying some of these things.
2. Grappling should be simplified. Though the Rules Compendium made a commendable effort at clarifying the rules, they are still too complicated. My group of veteran players has little difficulty with it now, but that is only after long hours of struggling with these rules.
3. Penalties to AC. A stationary object of medium size has an AC of 5, which is 10 minus 5 for its presumed Dex score of 0. However, a prone (-4 to AC) human with a 10 Dexterity who also happens to be unconscious (i.e. helpless, which adds another -4 to AC, on top of reducing his effective Dexterity to 0 for another -5) has an AC of -3. If said human is also stunned, his AC is -5. If he is also blind, his AC is -7. Does an inanimate object take a penalty to AC for being prone? What if it is a perfect cube? Why does a prone, helpless human have a lower AC than a wall? Silly things such as this make me shake my head. In my opinion, these conditions should apply a commensurate penalty to Dexterity solely for the purpose of determining AC, meaning that helpless (Dex effectively 0) is as low as you can go.

Last edited:

Remove ads