Anarenn: Rise of the ancient blood [OOC]

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ok, let's get on with it.

I'll be updating this first post often, filling it with info on setting, local uses, and other fluff.

[sblock=The setting, shortly]
Anarenn is a huge, continental forest world. There are no oceans or seas, though: at the edges of the world there are mountains, growing bigger and bigger, and inhabited by all sort of savage populations: orcs, goblins. Some say that there are even stranger beasts, as you go farther and farther from the forests.

Anarenn has been inhabited by humans for at least 2500 years. Once it was a single, amazing forest, stretching for what it seemed to be an infinity (think the black forest that Europe was once). But as civilization started to spread, that of course changed. Forest are thicker in the newly inhabited lands and there are more fields in the older lands. However, the process has been really slowed because some forests are grim places, inhabited by savage and ancient spirits of the nature: you can't go chopping down tree wherever you want.

Humans are the dominant race of the world: there are other races too, like halflings, gnomes and dwarves, but only the former have some mighty kingdoms.[/sblock]
[sblock=The setting, many (unorganized topics)]
[sblock=The Empire]
Nothing that compares to the Empire, however: it is the main force on Anarenn, founded more than 2000 years ago, and it was led by the same dynasty since then. The Emperor rules (directly or by the will of the mighty Arch-dukes) on the south-eastern quarter of the world, the north-wester edge, and there's a duchy in the south-western quarter, too. Since it's creation, the empire has been always entwined with the Church of the High Father, the dominant religion on Anarenn. It worships three gods: The High Father, the Benevolent Mother, and the Son in Shadows. The church is exremely powerful, but it has no central leader. As there is not only one holy scripture, there can be great differences among two priests, as each of them can interpret the dogmas in a different ways. Because of that, the Church is divided in almost a dozen mighty orders (each of them LN, LG, or NG), each of them with different views, and each of them with a different hierarchy and organization. To add complexity to confusion, it is often true that the same man has two titles: one from the Empire and another from the Church. It is a common truth that trying to understand who is higher in the social ladder is a damn hard work.[/sblock]
[sblock=Other kindgoms]
- Akodal, the historical rival of the Empire, hidden behind an impressive chain of fortresses in the south-eastern edge. The Great Barbaric Kingdom of the north: it is not actually a nation, rather it's a collection of barbarians, monsters and humanoids that inhabit the frozen wastes out of the edges of Northern Anarenn.
- The kingdom of Ishiza: the only place in Anarenn where there are plains. Famous for horse breeding and other cattle. South - western quarter.
- The Virdee: a great number of small kingdoms (think austria and germany during the XVI). The worst of the war-mongering nobles clichè
-The kindgoms of Tiliira, Hargrass, the republic of Fielet: some other kingdoms.
-The free cities of Mirui, Ronol, Namwert, Bruth and Ingrest: commercial powers, most of them near the geographical center of Anarenn.
-a great number of smaller kingdoms, duchies, tribes and lawless lands.

All of the named countries pay respect and tributes to the empire, with the exception of Akodal and the Barbaric Kingdom (the first because it's still an enemy, and the other because no one would dare to go outside of the world in order to force them to pay tributes)[/sblock]
[sblock=Wizards]
Another thing worth of mention is the fact that ALL of the wizards belong to the Wizard's towers, and of users of magic have to be viewed by a wizard in order to live without any guard bothering them. This is strictly enforced in the empire, more or less enforced in all of the remaining lands. [/sblock]
[sblock=Dragons]
Intelligent dragons are stuff of legends, because the dragons nowdays are ravenous, hungry, angry and violent beats . Sure, they have some cunning that puts them beyond the simple predators, but they are not capable of speech, and surely not capable of magic.

Wild dragons are really rare in the lands of the Empire, to the point that there are many imperial citizens who don't even believe in their existence. Indeed, several orders of the church (based primarily around Sorenn, the imperial capitol city) insisti upon a rational view on the world: one that negates the existance of the most fantastical creatures (like dragons, unicorns and so on). They grudgingly admit that some fantastic creatures exist, but only because they are summoned, so they are not very real.

There are wild dragons scattered out of the borders of the empire, however. Dragons praying on cattle are reasonably common in semi-indipendant states, and along the contries in north-eastern Anarenn, there are even repots of overlappin dragon territories, which leads to a fight between these monsters of legend.

In the Virdees, wild dragons can be encountered, and often valiant knights try to imitate the legends by trying to fight them. Almost always this leads to the loss of some precious well-made armor, because of the useless idiot who was wearing it.

There are known dragons living in the Holy Mountains, but it seems that they don't provoke that much havok. Indeed, whenever dragons hunters dare to enter the mountains, searching for them, they are genty sent away by a party of monks and priests.[/sblock]
[sblock=The Holy mountains] Three of the commercial cities form a rough triangle near the geographical center of Anarenn. And in this triangle, there are the Holy Mountains. Funny enough, they hold no particular significance for the church: it is just that as long as the civilization of Anarenn has existed, there have been temples. Think about Tibet: all sort of of orders who don't necessary share the same credo, but they coexist in peace. Also, there is the Azur Temple there: it's a center of knowledge and peace, with few equals. It is famous for the fact that its inhabitants don't worship the High Father, but are exremely respected by all of the church orders.

Regarding the holy mountains, most of the monk orders in Anarenn come from there. There are rumors that some of the senseis are centuries old, but of course, no one can just go and ask them if that's true. It often happens that a monk is sent away from his monastery with a quest, or just to make him experience 10 years of life in the outside world.

The Azur Temple is an entirely different thing. It is somewhat lika a city built on a plateu, and a road connects it to the imperial way that connects the three commercial cities. Heavy (but unguarded) walls form several blocks on the road, until it gets to Azur. Then there's a little city built before the last wall (that one is guarder day and night), and behind that there are the gardens of Azur. You can see the top of the towers of Azur and nothing else. Common folk are not admitted behind the Blue Wall: they have no reason to go beyond it, as if they are sick, they will get cured outside of it. If they are hungry, they will be fed in the city. Usually, when a pilgrim arrives, the azurites help him and send him away after a month or so: they have a lot of friendly nobles, merchants or simply land-owners, and they always try to send a good word to one of them regarding the pilgrim.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Forests]

There's a difference between the Anarenn forests and the classic fantasy forest. There are exceptions, but generally the ancient forests of Anarenn are far darker, nastier and less merrier places. There are no beatiful elven cities with happy animals passing by: there are nasty, old, grim and ancients spirits of the land, who mercilessly squash any human who dares enter the sacred groves. There are ravenous beasts, who prey on the hunters. There are the so-called grey forests, where all of this is twice as bad.

Of course, not every forest is THAT bad. There are better forests, but even there the fey population is really small (and most of the times, not really those good fellas you use to know). Now, a druid who has travelled a little bit knows where are those places where he can find benevolent spirits, treants and gnomes, but he will likely has to travel a lot from one to the other.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Religions and Faiths]
There are no Draconic deities. There are greater spirits in this world that have connection to dragons, or were dragons themselves, but they are not object of worship, and they don't make their existence known. If you play a draconic or dragon-related PC, they will soon or later take part of the plot, and it is possible for you to have a connection for them since the very beginning.

As for other deities outside of the triad, generally humans don't need them. The Father covers the traditionals domains of a good - related human deity (and it's clerics can choose from a big list of domains - at least 8-9). The Mother covers the good - chaotic - nature related aspects, while the Son is a kind of strange: everyone who doesn't feel related to the other two gods can worship him. He is a kind of trickster, opportunist, generally good, but with a little bit of end-justifies-means philosophy.

In the borderlands of the Empire the Faith becomes less structured and adherent to the common principles, and it mixes it with some old pagan cults. A priest of an imperial city may not recognize a celebration of the mother held in a remote village on the outskirts of the forests surround the Ishiza plains.

Those of Ishiza generally worship a pantheon of tribal deities (hunters, warriors and mounted raiders, as well as their enemies). They grudgingly admit the worship of the Father in their lands. Some other kingdom have an organized churches (and some of them worship the Father but don't recognize the authority of the imperial church on matters of faith)

Dwarfs have their own deities, of course, as well as other races, of course.[/sblock]
[sblock=Demons]
There are "some" demons summoned by "some" wizards. Generally the Church regards arcane magic with a certain suspicioun, but they usually have to admit that wizards are extremely organized in certain aspects. Living for almost 2000 years in a world where the faith can gather 90% of the population against you is bound to make you realize that you have to control yourself and your buddies. If a lone wizard or a little tower of wizards somehow create havok, this may lead to wide revenge in the entire world, and the remaining wizards wouln't be overjoyed. Thus there are firm rules about what a wizard can do with demons, where, why and how. These are not common knowledge, of course.

Suffice to say that when there are signs of demonic activities, wizards are almost never to blame. Actually, they are among the first to mobilitate and give full support to the Church in finding the culprits.

On a side note, demonic activity is different from those common in the usual fantasy settings: there have never been demonic invasions, or even a single demon fooling around in the open. That is perhaps due to the powerful Church. Due to that, demonic activity is usually of the subtle, corrupting kind. That promts the church to warn and educate the population to recognize the signs of demonic corruption, and demon themselves. So, someone with red flaming eyes, thick scales and horns and razors coming out from his body would certainly be recognized on sight as someone uncommon and very probably dangerous.[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
pseudodragon3na2.gif

Pseudodragon (with no class) :p

NG Tiny Dragon
Init +6; Senses Listen +7, Spot +7;
Blindsense 60 ft., low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft.
Languages telepathy 60 ft., Common, Hethon, Sylvan, ?
–––––––––––––––––––––––––
AC 22, touch 18, flat-footed 16
hp 24 (2 HD)
Immune paralysis, sleep
SR 19
Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +3
Spd 15-ft., fly 60-ft. (good)
Melee sting +8 (1d3-2 plus poison) and bite +3 (1)
Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft. (5 ft. with tail)
Base Atk +2; Grp –8
Abilities Str 7, Dex 22, Con 17, Int 16, Wis 10, Chr 10
Feats Alertness, Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesseb
Skills Craft (alchemy) +4, Decipher Script +4, Diplomacy +7,
Hide +23 (+25 in forests or overgrown areas), Knowledge (local) +4,
Knowledge (nature) +4, Listen +7, Search +8, Sense Motive +5,
Spot +7, Survival +5 (+7 following tracks), Tumble +8,
Use Magic Device +2
Gear none
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 16, initial damage sleep for 1 minute,
secondary damage sleep for 1d3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based
and includes a +2 racial bonus.
Treasure 100 assorted pieces of quartz (50 gp ea.), 4/5 of an alchemist's lab (400 gp) and a library containing 50 books (3,600 gp).
Experience 10,000

The Drachenfell

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
Character sheet posted above. Still curious to hear your opinion about the pseudodragon specific info I posted as well as your take on pseudodragon Crafts and Professions.

Invisible Castle seems to be unreliable for me depending on which computer, platform and browser I happen to be using. Would you care to make all the rolls? You wouldn't even have to link them, simply make note of the results in the thread; I trust you. :heh:

Nightbreeze

First Post
The two remaining points are tricky to figure out. A few ideas I had was Craft (alchemy) or Profession (herbalist) since my PC is pretty clever and pseudodragons are familiar with various leaves, fruits and berries from their omnivorous diet. Aside from that, I'm considering Craft (calligraphy) since my dragon has many written examples to study and copy and Profession (scout) since he's familiar with his woodland home. The problem with Professions is that they represent services that a character can use to earn money; something I have trouble imagining my PC getting into. What do you think?

Yeah, I guess that profession for the pseudodragon is rather strange. This house rules was mainly to add a little bit of depth to the background. That is nor really needed. So I guess that you would better take the craft skills. The needed equipment for herbalistm, alchemy and calligraphy can be easily found in the cave or stolen from the nearby village. However, profession(scout) is not bad, actually: in your case, it means that you are very good in guessing where explore and how to explore the surrounding lands, where to search for suitable places where to cross a river, and so on.

• Pseudodragons supposedly use their telepathic abilities to "eavesdrop" on a potential companions' thoughts to judge their worth.
Honestly, I don't know how to take this. RAW, telepathy doesn't allow you to read thoughts. However, it is mentioned in the 3.5 MM too. If you have access to the 2nd edition MM, could you glance at the pseudodragon entry and tell me what is written there?

As for the bond with another being, we will speak about it when you are interested in it. Generally, I'm ok with those suggestions.

• A pseudodragon's barbed tail is sharp like a hypodermic needle and they are able to wield it against foes directly in front of them; much like a scorpion.
Nice.
• I'd dispute that conclusion myself.
Explain yourself....you are a dragon after all, and dragons love to take long naps :)

• Pseudodragons hibernates through the winter months.
Let's just say that for 2-3 months you sleep like a lazy cat...19 hours each day
• Pseudodragons collect bright shiny objects; colored glass, coins and especially gemstones. They tend to value attractiveness rather than inherent value.
• While omnivorous, pseudodragons prefer fresh meat above all else. Their diet consists primarily of rodents and small birds. They also eat leaves, fruits and berries. They refuse to touch carrion due to their finicky natures.
• Amongst their own kind, pseudodragon make use of "thought-names"; a series of identifying images or memories that can be transmitted quickly with a mere though. Though names are hard to translate into words, so pseudodragons often allow their companions to assign them cute pet-names.
Seems reasonable. I like the thought-name. You can use it with anyone, if you want.

• Pseudodragon venom can be harvested; up to 20 ounces per week or 12 ounces at once if slain. It in turn can be sold for about 100 gp per ounce. Pseudodragons consider being milked for venom demeaning.
• Pseudodragon scales are translucent (much like fingernails) and it's the flesh beneath which can change color. Achievable colors are red, green, brown, black or any shade between; with multiple combinations at once being possible to mimic leafy camouflage.
• Pseudodragons periodically molt patches pf skin as they outgrow their old scales. They do so monthly through their first year, and about twice a year thereafter, though the process doesn't hinder them in any way. They do so by rubbing against rocks and tree bark.
• Pseudodragon skin can be used in the manufacture of rings of chameleon power, potions of rainbow hues and cloaks of elvinkind. Their blood can be used in the production of rings of spell resistance.

Hm. I may be revealing revealing too much here, but as I said Anarenn is a low magic campaign. The nerfed aspects are spell diffusion, and permanent magic item: the process of making them is extremely long, complex and 2ed-like. It takes 1.5 months for every 1000gp of the item's price, and there are complex material components required.

The body of a dragon....the body of a pseudo-dragon...they would be a gold mine. Even if no one wants parts of your anatomy, you would be extremely precious, as a rare creature.

So, you know that, while your PC doesn't. But he is intelligent enough to guess something from some notes on his books, just enough to be careful. :D

Ambrus

Explorer
Nightbreeze said:
However, profession(scout) is not bad, actually: in your case, it means that you are very good in guessing where explore and how to explore the surrounding lands, where to search for suitable places where to cross a river, and so on.
Oops. I meant to type Profession (guide), which is listed in the PHB. I figure that the stuff you describe above would largely be covered by my Survival and Knowledge skills. Taking "guide" as a profession would, I imagine, cover payment negotiations with clients and the know how needed to move groups of people and mounts safely through terrain. Familiarity with an area would instead come from knowledge (local).
Nightbreeze said:
If you have access to the 2nd edition MM, could you glance at the pseudodragon entry and tell me what is written there?
The 2e text seems to be verbatim what is repeated in the 3.5 MM: "reading his thoughts via telepathy".

If I might offer a guess, I think the game designers didn't know how to resolve this limited ability to read minds with a standardized non-invasive telepathy so they instead opted to give the pseudodragon full ranks in Sense Motive. There seems to be no other reason for them to have such a skill.

I'd simply resolve my character's mysterious mind-reading abilities with straightforward Sense Motive skill checks, but describe it in terms of telepathic/empathic impressions.
Nightbreeze said:
As for the bond with another being, we will speak about it when you are interested in it.
You know, I've been thinking about why pseudodragons choose to bond with humanoids. My guess is that, as familiars, their aging is magically slowed to match the lifespan of their longer lived companions. It'd explain the pseudodragon's predilection for bonding; it's a kind pseudodragon life-insurance policy. :p
Nightbreeze said:
Explain yourself....you are a dragon after all, and dragons love to take long naps :)
Well, to quote the Draconomicon: "All true dragons are endothermic." Endothermic meaning "warm-blooded". Considering the pseudodragon's draconic nature and their low-light vision and darkvision, it certainly sounds like they're made to operate comfortably at night when it's cold. Also, they'd make lousy wizard familiars if they were out of commission for a quarter of the year. :\
Nightbreeze said:
The nerfed aspects are spell diffusion, and permanent magic item: the process of making them is extremely long, complex and 2ed-like.
Eek! 2e magical item creation! I guess I won't be taking any item creation feats anytime soon. :p

Seriously though, should I consider putting my ranks in Use Magical Device somewhere else?
Nightbreeze said:
But he is intelligent enough to guess something from some notes on his books, just enough to be careful. :D
Noted. :uhoh:

Nightbreeze

First Post
Your reply made me laugh at some points :)

Your reasoning is solid on the prof(scout) vs prof(guide). I'll leave it to your judgement.

As for the telepathy, I had in mind another solution, but I will integrate it in yours: you will use full sense motive, and you will get a little bonus when someone is distracted, or when you are "reading" the thoughts of someone that like/loves you.

I am not really applying the rules of 2nd ed to magic item creation, I'm not that evil. Aside from what I told you, there are no other "crunch" changes. Ah, and when you are crafting a magic items, you need to be around only half of the time, so you can keep on with your adventures anyway. For example, when crafting a cloack of resistance +1, you may have to leave it on the top of a high tower, in the midst of a pentacle of diamonds, under the sun, moon and stars for one week. You can do whatever you want in the meanwhile.

Ok, I didn't notice that passage in the Draconomicon (by the way, a book called "Draconomicon" is one of the rarest in Anarenn :)). You will still be lazy like a cat for 2 months during the winter, though :] You will still be able to move and do almost anything, but you'll grumble, mumble and complain a lot.

Ambrus

Explorer
Nightbreeze said:
Your reply made me laugh at some points :)
For what may I ask? :uhoh: :)

Gee. You didn't even comment on my little animated pseudodragon image. :(

I'll tentatively leave my skill point in craft, and simply wait until I have an opportunity to craft something before assigning it to a particular skill.

I'd be curious to get a full list of my cave's inventory when you have a minute. We dragons like to keep careful track of what's in our hoards. ;)

Am I to assume that this is my dragon's first spring after having hatched?

Nightbreeze

First Post
No offence meant, I was trying to imagine the psudodragon thinking about what a wizard could do to him :D

The image is amazing, really. Did you make it?

Usually I have wireless internet to my room, so I'm able to post several times each day.

However, there's a technical problem, and each time I want to post something, I have to go downstairs and connect my laptop physically. So for the next days (no more than a week, i hope). I can't promise more than 1 post/day, but I hope at least 2.

Ambrus

Explorer
None taken. ;)

I didn't draw the dragon; I simply found an illustration online to use as a base. I tweaked its anatomy a bit, and added in all the animated bits: the blinking eye, the twinkle on the coin and the shifting colours and striped patterns of its hide. I wanted to visualize what a colour-shifting pseudodragon might look like. Glad you like it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases