The Shadowend Campaign Setting

RichGreen

Adventurer
Nellisir said:
It might also be worth noting that I'm going through all my various notes and scribblings and assembling all my throw-away little bits of information into one document. It's just an outline right now, but it's 8 pages long (ok, 7 if you don't count the list of names that aren't assigned but might be cool for something).

I think this is a good idea - I need to do something similar for Parsantium. I've got some stuff scribbled in a notebook, other bits in posts on my LJ/ENWorld and more still in my head!

Richard

Nellisir

Hero
RichGreen said:
I think this is a good idea - I need to do something similar for Parsantium. I've got some stuff scribbled in a notebook, other bits in posts on my LJ/ENWorld and more still in my head!
It was a useful thing for me to do because I've been working on this campaign world for almost 20 years. Not alot of indepth development, but lots of scribbles and jottings here and there (mostly, but not totally, on the computer). Going through everything (I'm not done yet) and at least noting the names down in one place helps alot towards a) remembering what I've done before, b) identifying areas that need more work, and c) just plain being organized.

I swear I'll read your Parsantium stuff soon. It keeps popping up on my LJ, and I see the thread here, but spare time is at a premium (and I waste it on message boards, naturally). It should improve once I get my applications off (probably by Friday).

RichGreen

Adventurer
Nellisir said:
I swear I'll read your Parsantium stuff soon. It keeps popping up on my LJ, and I see the thread here, but spare time is at a premium (and I waste it on message boards, naturally). It should improve once I get my applications off (probably by Friday).

No hurry! Would be good to know what you think of it.

Cheers

Richard

Nellisir

Hero
Peoples of the Shadowend

The Shadowend is home to a great number of intelligent races, tribes, clans, and lineages. Some of these, like the Trueborn of Dore or the wild leshii, are few in number, living in small, isolated communities or individually among the more populous races. Others number in the hundreds of thousands and rule kingdoms, or inhabit vast warrens in the mountain depths.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Common Races
Dwarves: Masters of earth and stone, dwarves are an ancient race that command many greatholds and smallhalls in the mountains of Shadowend. Dweorhin (mountain dwarves) and duergar are frequent in the north, while dwerg, or hill dwarves, are better known in the south.

Elves: Elves are a powerful, reclusive race skilled in magic and attuned to the natural world. Faerilven have small settlements throughout the woodlands of Shadowend, while corrupt faerilven become dark elves, or darilven. Sailven have numerous communities in the waters around the Shadowend.

Giants: Giants of all kinds are found throughout Shadowend. The Typhos loathed the original giant race, and corrupted many over the ages, creating the common giants known today. If any true giants remain in the Shadowend today, they are well hidden.

Gnomes: Cunning, inquisitive, and clever, gnomes are fond of secrets and knowledge, and skilled in the magical arts of divination and illusion. In the east, wood gnomes live in small villages and warrens, while stone gnomes hold expansive subterranean realms rich with gold and gems in the west.

Goblinoids: Goblins and their kin are a plague throughout the Shadowend. Goblins live wherever they can, while hobgoblins form itinerant mercenary bands. Bugbears live in the small family groups, often in larger communities of goblins, or as elite soldiers in a hobgoblin troop.

Humans: Humans control most of the civilized land in Shadowend. The Amerite Empire once controlled most of the Shadowend, and as a result Amer blood and culture is common throughout region. The Haluar tribes are native to the east, though most of their culture was swallowed by the Amerites, and the northern lands are the domain of the Aesar and Vanar.

Orcs: A savage race, orcs live in places even goblins find unpleasant. Periodically, a massive horde sweeps out of the Kameurhorns, inundating the civilizations of the south.

Uncommon Races
Domovii: Humanity's familiar, domovii have linked their fate to the larger race. Domovii are fey that dwell in human villages and hamlets, trading their labor and skills for protection and security.

Jotunar: Jotunar are born to human families in the wilder lands of Shadowend, and sometimes called giantkin. Two lineages of jotunar are common; the frost giant-blooded talvijotun, and the hill giant-blooded firjotun.

Troldfolk: Also called bridge trolls or bjergfolk, troldfolk are found wherever they can steal a living. They fey beings are mostly seen as pests by the larger races, but powerful troldfolk paragons are a common feature in legends and tall tales.

Rare Races
Dark Folk: The Dark Folk are believed to be a race of cursed humans from before the current age. They are divided into a common class, the dark creepers, and a ruling class, the dark stalker.

Half-Breeds: There are several half-human lineages worth noting. Fuah are goblinoid-human half-breeds, found wherever the two races meet. Most fuah make their way as thieves or mercenaries. Half-elves, or ha'ilven, are often found where the two races meet. They are adaptable and personable, and move easily between the two cultures. A few half-elven families are found near the Driathorn Forest, the Shadowend Forest, and the Elven Forest. Roane, also called sealkine, are the offspring of a union between a selkie and a human. Their fey parentage makes them curious and charming, traits that set most roane on a life of travel and adventure.

Leshii: Spirits of the forest, leshii are wild fey that sometimes venture out of the deep woodlands to investigate the larger world. They are roughly human in appearance, with barklike skin, leafy hair, and a crown of branch-like horns.

Liosilven: Originally faerilven, the light elves underwent a magical transformation into radiant defenders of good. Their transformation made them immortal but incapable of reproducing, and the only remaining liosilven stay hidden in their well-protected home in Utgard.

Nellisir

Hero
Artifacts & Items of Power

Culm
A medium shield crafted all of iron, Culm bears no emblem. Any attempt to paint or inscribe an emblem on the shield is destroyed the first time the shield is wielded in combat.
When Culm blocks a blow in combat, the shield reverberates and booms like thunder. The wielder and anyone standing behind him are immune to the effects of these cacaphony; those in front are not so lucky.

If the wielder strikes Culm with his weapon, or beats on it like a drum, Culm sends forth low, rolling peals of thunder capable of instilling a potent magical fear in the enemy and sending them fleeing. If Culm is struck by an opponent, the thunder is far more potent. The weapon which struck the shield is often destroyed, and the weapon's wielder is wounded and deafened by the noise. Those in the area of Culm also suffer injury, and may be struck deaf as well.

The whereabouts of this shield have been lost; it was last reported over three-hundred years ago in use by a Vorisk raider.

Iedain, Crown of Songs
This fabled headpiece resembles no conventional crown. Said to be formed of songs made solid, the Crown of Songs appears as a band of shimmering light, broken by 9 evenly-spaced transparent crystals. A 10th crystal hangs over the bearer's head, and lines of magical force link it to the 9 crystals about the band. The Crown grants the abilty to sing without flaw or imperfection, and that singing can charm women and men, bring the beasts of field and forest, and even bind the emotionless creatures of the elements to the bearer's will. The Crown of Songs is said to be a seductive artifact, however, and those careless with it may find themselves to sing more and more frequently as they grow to love their own voice above anything, until they eventually waste away, unable to stop singing for a moment.

Iedain may also be recognized by the soft and gentle murmer of voices that surround it; these voices are soothing in the extreme, and if the Crown is masterless, the voices often bring an enchanted sleep on those who encounter it, leaving them open to less intelligent and susceptible predators.

Tetallia Silver-Tongued was the last known bearer of the Crown of Songs; she frequented the Hollow Land hunting linnorms in the Kameurhorns until her (presumed) death two centuries ago.
-------------------------------------------
Giantkiller
Crafted in Sarn five-hundred years ago, Giantkiller is a +2 bane (giants) bastard sword. It also confers a +10 bonus to the Knowledge (Giant) skill. It can identify most major giant types and clans around Sarn, but its knowledge of factions and alliances is five-hundred years out of date. Giantkiller was last seen in the hands of a fuah barbarian in the Shalanwode several years ago.

Telsingem
A longspear with an distinctive curved blade, Telsingem was crafted by a faerilven runic smith over a thousand years ago. The shaft is of a dark brown wood as hard as iron; the blade is iron intermingled with mithril, streams of brown in a gleaming silver surface.

Telsingem is a +2 longspear that grants the wielder a +5 circumstance bonus to Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks when in hand.

Telsingem has long circulated in the Shadowend, periodicly being lost and regained. It is was last in the possession of Kurmolt of Kurmolt’s Band, a mercenary/adventuring company that disappeared in Asavar a decade ago.

Nellisir

Hero
Notable Spellcasters

Alnin Stoneshield
A member of House Aeliden, Alnin Stoneshield was a powerful ha’ilven spellsword, with compelling good looks and a easygoing manner. He researched many battle-magics, both offensive and protective (most notably stoneshield), and died well into old age, battling a great linnorm in the Kameurhorns.

Azequor
Today a name of terror and fright-tales, Azekor was a ha’ilven wizard in the last years of Sieriven. A pupil of the wizard/priest Beirhn Rosemantle, Azequor rejected her gentle teachings later in his life, striving to accumulate power in a mad drive that culminated in his transformation to lichdom. His skeletal form dwells somewhere in the fastness of the High Hills, using his minions and servants to continue gathering magical items and spells.

Gray Dashain
Once an apprentice of Erabor the Caller, Gray Dashain specialized in summoning, binding, and compelling outsiders. Despite the obvious dangers, Dashain lived into his twilight years before disappearing from his secluded tower. Various whispers and rumors over the years suggest he is not dead, but imprisoned on another plane, perhaps by a powerful devil or genie lord.

Erabor the Caller
Architect of the Endless Dungeon, Erabor the Caller is a whimsical archmage. Perpetually young in appearance, though of uncommonly tall height, he studied attractive magic (drawing monsters and adventurers both to his home) and planar effects. Erabor disappeared nearly a century ago, and is thought to have settled in a demiplane from which he keeps tabs on his former home, keeping it supplied with monsters and treasure both, and viewing the resultant mayhem for his amusement.

Gereint the Dark
An apprentice of the Ninestars Council, Gereint eschewed their company for a solitary existence of research. Meglomania and paranoia led him to hide many caches of magic items (mostly scrolls and potions) in various “safeholes” around the Shadowend, often in a secure portion of an occupied dungeon. He disappeared nearly three centuries ago, along with his tower and the nearby village he ruled, but legends maintain he simply transported himself and his subjects to a secure realm in the Dark Below.

Menioth
One of the most gifted students of the Moonstone Guild, Menioth is the foremost expert on the Positive Material Plane and its attendent energies. She rarely adventures, preferring to “field-test” her spells through allied wizards. With straw-colored hair, fair eyes, and unlined skin, Menioth appears much younger than her fifty-six years, a possible side-effect of her long exposure to positive energy.

Raliard the Spellsage
More famous than powerful, Raliard makes his living uncovering caches of magic and spelllore. A skillful diviner, Raliard’s command of magic continually uncovers new treasures for him, and warns him against those who would take it. The secrets the Spellsage uncovers invariably makes their way into common practice as he sells or barters away his findings. He lives in the small village of Tenmensport, but is more often found on the high plains of the Tehmar.

Whisper
A member of the Fallen, Whisper helped rule the Dread Queen’s empire for half a century before being captured and bound into slumber for seven-hundred years. Freed only recently, the diminutive, leather-wrapped wizard has wasted no time exerting his subtle influence across the Hundred Kingdoms once again. His knowledge of lost and hidden spellcaches provided a quick and solid base of power, and this hidden knowledge has been slowly leaking out as Whisper takes apprentices.

Nellisir

Hero
Iron-Clad Minotaur

IRON-CLAD MINOTAUR CR 4
Str +5, Dex -2, Con +3, Int -2, Wis -1, Cha -1
Resist fire 15
Fort 18, Ref 14, Will 15
Weakness vulnerable to rusting attacks
Space 10 ft; Reach 10 ft
Base Atk 17; Grp 26
Atk Options Power Attack
Special Atks Powerful charge
Combat Gear great axe
Possessions greataxe, (1200 gp total)
Advancement by character class
Favored Class Barbarian
Natural Cunning (Ex): Although minotaurs are not especially intelligent, they possess innate cunning and logical ability. This gives them immunity to maze spells, prevents them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track enemies. Further, they are never caught flat-footed.
Powerful Charge (Ex): An iron-clad minotaur typically begins a battle by charging at an opponent, lowering its head to bring its mighty horns into play. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the beast to make a single gore attack with a +9 attack bonus that deals 4d6+6 points of damage.
Skills: Minotaurs have a +4 racial bonus on Search and Notice checks.

The Iron-Clad Minotaur uses material from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary.

Nellisir

Hero
True20 & leshii

No recent updates, because I've been buying, reading, and absorbing True20. Think I've found my new ruleset, folks. And the good news is, I now own every significant True20 pdf there is (OK, except the Wild West one).

As a reward for your patience, here's the True20 version of the leshii!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leshii are a race of amoral, solitary fey that inhabit deep forests. They embody the harsh reality that is life in the wild.

Personality
Leshii are dispassionate, amoral, and cunning. They are not particularly deep thinkers, and waste little time on ephemeral concepts like good and evil. They attend to their own needs, and expect others to do the same for themselves. Leshii rarely get attached to material possessions, but have a strong sense of territory, and interlopers into a leshii's hunting ground invariably become prey.

Description
Leshii are humanoid, with some treelike features. Their skin resembles bark, and their hair has branchlike tendrils woven through it. Leshii can live upwards of three centuries, but rarely show signs of age.

Relations
Leshii are regarded with fear and suspicion by people living close to the deep woodlands, but regarded more as a curiosity than a threat by others. Warmer relations are hampered by the tendency of wild leshii to kill almost anyone straying into their territories. Leshii and elves avoid each other when possible, and gnomes occasionally strike alliances with them.

Society
Leshii society is something of an oxymoron, given their limited numbers and solitary nature. They live simple lives in the wilderness, hunting and gathering what they need to survive. Relations between the sexes are usually brief and aggressive, but occasionally two leshii will form a partnership, usually in an area of plentiful hunting. There are no recognized leshii kingdoms or realms, since leshii rarely do more than mark out an individual domain with the bones of slain trespassers.

Adventurers
Leshii occasionally become bored or curious, and leave their territories to become adventurers. Their hardy nature and woodland talents makes them much sought-after as guides and guards.

Background Traits
Ability Adjustments: +1 Con
Bonus Feats: Great Fortitude, Night Vision, Talented (Survival & Stealth)
Favored Feats: Fascinate, Sneak Attack
Natural Attacks: Leshii have natural slam attacks that inflict 1+ Str damage with a successful unarmed attack.

Lineages
The differences between male and female leshii are greater than those between most humanoid races, and their numbers are far fewer. As a result, leshii have only two lineages - male and female.

Lineage - Male
Male leshii are slightly taller than humans, with rough skin like bark, thick hair interwoven with willowy branches, and a "crown" of branches and bone around their heads. They prefer a physical life with few attachments or possessions, and are often rangers or scouts.

Ability Adjustments: +1 Str
Bonus Feats: Endurance, Skill Focus (Survival)
Favored Power: Nature Reading
Natural Armor: Male leshii gain a +1 natural armor bonus to Toughness.

Lineage - Female
Female leshii are much more human in appearance, at least from a distance. Their skin is pale and smooth, reminiscent of birch bark, and their hair is invariably shimmering gold or darkest ebony. They often seduce solitary travellers, sometimes killing them afterwards, or taking them as a servant, but just as often abandoning them with the sunrise. They are as hardy as their men, but more covetious and can their affections or goodwill can sometimes be (briefly) won by gifts of jewelry or fine clothes. They often seek out supernatural sources of power, becoming druids or witches.

Ability Adjustments: +1 Chr
Bonus Feats: Attractive, Inspire (Awe), Skill Focus (Bluff)
Favored Power: Dominate

Nellisir

Hero
Religion & Divinities

Divine beings in the Shadowend fall into one of five categories: The Elder Host, Dalerain, Envidier, Typhos, and cults. Only members of the first two groups are truly divine; Envidier, Typhos, and cults, while divinely natured, cannot bestow divine power, and instead confer it through occult bargains and pacts.
  • The Elder Host are the primal gods, the first-born and the creators of the mortal races. They created most of the common races, the Typhos, and eventually the Dalerain.
  • The Typhos, or the False Host, are the "true" children of the Elder Host. They are without exception amoral, selfish monstrosities. A few found service among the Elder Host, but most went their own way, ruled by nothing more than whim and fancy. Eventually the Elder Host grew aware of the stunted and destructive nature of the Typhos, and turned their attentions to the mortal races instead.
  • The Dalerain, or the Middle Host, are the children of the Elder Host and mortal beings - the multitude of divinities which mortals find the most familiarity and comfort in. The Dalerain, in their turn, had their own relations among mortals, and a few of their children became Dalerain in turn. A very few mortals have acquired enough divine power to become true divinites; these are known as the Ascended Host, and considered among the Dalerain for all purposes except blood lineage.
  • The Envidier, or the Host of Heroes, are either the children of the Dalerain and mortal beings, or mortals who have somehow wrested a tiny spark of divinity from somewhere or something. They serve the Dalerain and the Elder Host, and are the most frequent emissaries of the divine in the mortal realm.
  • Cults are willfully sham religions established by various creatures (usually Typhos or evil Dalerain) to serve as blinds in their schemes. Cultists, as noted above, are not true (divine) priests, and utilize occult magic instead. Two prominent cults are The Cult of the Rat Mother and The Fellowship of the Unholy Hand.
  • The World, or The Wyrld, is sometimes ranked as a sixth category of divine being. The World preceded the Elder Host, but is without sentience, purpose, or will. Druids are thought to draw upon The World for their divine magic, and the minor spirits may also be empowered by the World in some way. As The World has never given any sign of intelligence, reason, desire, purpose, or anima, there is much uncertainty about its' actual nature and relevance.

Last edited:

Remove ads