Mega-Adventure Prologue--The Council and the Fellowship

Voda Vosa

First Post
Krindorf Dwarven rogue level 2 (pending)

A good looking blond dwarf enters the room, and finds a seat next to Dorrin. "How ye mate?" he says, patting him in the back mightily. He is dressed casual, quite untidy and not clean at all. Fortunately, the only smell emanating from him is of Joes ale

Heckler

First Post
Rinya enters and takes a seat in the back with the other awkward, outdoorsy types.

Babette, wanting to clearly hear what is said without drawing too much attention to herself, sits in the middle.

Octavio, having had ample time to clean up and change into more appropriate attire, sits as far down front as he is able, so that others may bask in his beauty.

ooc: Rinya (half-elf Barb2/Ran1), Babette (human Sorc 3) and Octavio (Rogue 2/Fi 1) reporting for duty.

thegreyman

First Post
Keeping his voice low, Dorrin replies to Lord Baldrian, "True, but these men and women control many people's actions. And I'd prefer to know more of what's going on, besides just 'it's the end of the world!' "

Grinning when Krindorf sits next to him, Dorrin replies, "Not bad, friend Krindorf. The ride here was tedious, but hopefully this meeting gets more exciting."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily enters the room and sits in the first chair she encounters, almost becoming swallowed up in it's size. A few minutes later, an aide approaches her and directs her to the correct side of the room. Once in the right spot, she picks a chair slightly removed from the others, and stares at all of the people in their finery.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Saithnar, M Elan Psion(Telepath) 3 (pending approval)

Saithnar enters the chamber in his normal crimson robes. Walking forward with his staff thumping along with every other step, the red haired man takes a seat near the middle and lowers his hood to look about some. Taking out his pipe (but not lighting it), he clamps it between his teeth and begins to study the delegates at the other tables. Squinting his eyes and cocking his head as if concentration on a distant sound, the man absently strokes his goatee while listening and waiting for the proceedings to begin.

orsal

LEW Judge
Nurlan's Knowledge(arcana): 19
Nurlan's Knowledge(religion): 17
Nurlan's Bardic Knowledge: 7, 22, 9, 22, 22

Nurlan supports Rinaldo as the chief spokesman of the group, and is quite surprised to learn that he has become a delegate of Orussus. He is also flattered that Rinaldo chooses him to sit near. However, observant associates may notice a look of discomfort when he recognizes the Monemvassian delegate. After his initial reaction, he studiously scans the other delegates, in part to avoid looking at Frump. He studies their faces and regalia, and reflects on lore he has heard about their respective cities. Then, after hearing Ashnar's IDs, he leans in and adds

[sblock=Rinaldo and those sitting nearest]That's right. You obviously know more about the housemasters than I, although I could figure that's who they were. The Medibarian court mage is Rydick Xanthar. He's got a good reputation. He's a noble, and an effective courtier by the stories, but an even more talented and honourable necromancer. The story I've heard most about him is about him curing diseases through mastering the powers of life and death. I've heard of a young priest of Azwan who was recently appointed to the council there, name of Andric Lenton. That's probably him. Fallonese I've met consider him a man of unimpeachable morals and devotion to the public good, although he may be a little naive. I wish I could help you with the Hendralian, although I assume we'll soon meet him. It's good to know there are people of great merit such as Messrs. Xanthar and Lenton involved in this project. Although, there's also at least one person in this room who'd sell his grandmother to the orcs if it would help his career."[/sblock]

OOC: I'm not sure what the Listen DC is for those not among Rinaldo's chosen closest advisors

[sblock=Rystil]Nurlan is wearing his purple cloak of Charisma. The colour is the royal colour of Monemvassia -- it was originally made for a grand duke several generations ago -- and he generally avoids wearing it around associates of the royal house, but he had not counted on seeing Frump when he enetered the council chamber.[/sblock]

B4cchus

Explorer
ooc [sblock=RA]That's fine. I'll start the approval with the other judges and delay the actual level-up until after the council.[/sblock]

In the back of the room a somewhat tall halfling with red hair slips into a chair in the back row "Just made in time I see. Hi! I'm Talbin how are you doing?" He asks the person next to him.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I'll let Michael talk to Andric when ajanders returns. In the meantime--)

*Before long, it becomes quite clear that Lucien and any others who try to remain standing are not welcome to do so. After a few subtle cues, if they refuse to be seated, it builds to annoyed glares, a direct request to be seated, and eventually anyone who absolutely refuses to take their appropriate seat is expelled from the Council Chamber.*

*After a short pause, everyone goes silent, and Headmaster Albion rises.*

"Hrrm...hmmm...it seems that all are here and we are ready to begin. Splendid. Splendid. Yes, right...Honoured delegates, we have called you here for a matter of paramount...hrrm...nay, utmost importance. By the power vested in me as the Headmaster of the Academy of the Chromatic Order, I call this meeting to order...hrrm...may the magics that bind this place be called forth..."

*Everyone feels a tingle. Those especially attuned to magic can tell that a dweomer of some sort has descended.*

"Hrrrm...hmmm...In the tradition of Councils of old, I ask that each of the representatives respond as I call their name...hmmm...I suppose not all of you may remember why this must be. Hrrmmm....let us simply say that it will not be pleasant for a doppleganger or other replacement of the true delegate, yes?"

"I am Headmaster Umbryn Albion, and I name the delegates gathered here today. From the Academy of the Chromatic Order, Rayne Liore--"

"I am here."

"--Humboldt Tyndall--"

"Present..."

"--Cedric Bronwen--"

"Here."

"--and Kharisa Valpyren."

"I am here."

"Representing Medibaria, Grand Vizier Rydick Xanthar."

"It is I," the Court Mage affirms in a rich baritone.

"Representing Hendrallia, Baron Carnham Thalask."

"What? Oh yes, yes, that's me," the elderly man answers, a bit addled-seeming.

"Representing Fallon, Councilor Andric Lenton."

"Yes sir. I am here," the young man replies enthusiastically but nervously.

"Representing Orussus, Rinaldo diSenzio."

*Rinaldo presumably makes some response here.*

"Representing Rivenblight, Sage Aliaster Thiliaerin."

"Yes," the elf states simply, as if by his own effort he can somehow will this to end faster.

"Representing Monemvassia, Court Wizard Wimpell Frump."

"I am indeed. Yes, yes."

"We have assembled together...hrrrm...we are prepared to decide a matter of great importance, yes? But first we must hear it...The one who wishes to present this information to these honoured men and women assembled is..." Albion adjusts is spectacles, pausing to clear his throat, "The Academy's Daryne Housemistress, Rayne Liore."

*Rayne bows her head and places her hands together in a Medibarian gesture of supplication.*

"The half-human mongrel?" the Rivenblight representative asks incredulously, the first marked display of emotion from the elf, "What is the meaning of this! Surely you cannot take its words seriously!"

"Wh..." the Hendrallian baron looks back and forth between Rayne and Aliaster, "I don like tagree with an elf, but...a halfbreed...You kent trust em farther then you ken throw em. Lousy lot of spies and liars, that's what!"

"Gentlemen! I...think..." Andric Lenton speaks up in protest, but when all eyes turn to him, especially those of the elf and the old man, he falters slightly, then firms his resolve and continues, "We cannot allow such prejudices to cloud our minds and influence our decisions. Our countries picked us for a reason. We have to do what is best for our people no matter what!" he seems to want to say more, but he decides that he best quit while he is ahead.

*Albion taps his staff down softly three times.*

"Hrrm, hmm...yes...gentlemen, best, I think, to hear what the young lady has to say first, hmm?"

*Baron Thalask grumbles but pipes down, but looking between Thalask and Rayne, the elven representative eyes show that he is clearly still seething as he says simply and slowly:*

"Very well."

*Albion turns back to Rayne.*

"Thank you, gathered representatives. It is only as a last resort and out of concern for the lives of countless thousands that I have brought this council together. Over the last two years, I have researched some disturbing information that came to my attention, and I have discovered that we are all in grave danger from an ancient and evil foe. Who here is familiar with the name Vildaxaranthus?"

*There is a murmur among the gathered crowds, but generally one of confusion, as mostly no one recognises the name. The Academy delegates clearly know it, and Xanthar does too. From the elf's smug and bored look, it seems he does as well. The Hendrallian Baron clearly has no idea who this is, nor does Frump, who scratches his head idly. Andric appears thoughtful but unsure.*

"If I may?"

*She casts a spell, and the image of a colossal red dragon appears in the domed ceiling above assaulting a city with a force of powerful spawn, only to be defeated by an army of humans and allies, led by a mighty lady mage.*

"Millennia ago in the time of the Magequeen, a cunning Red Dragon named Vildaxaranthus terrorised the central lands. The Magequeen and her allies from amongst the scattered nations forged an alliance and defeated Vildaxaranthus and his brood army, both true dragons and half-dragon spawn, finally destroying the mighty wyrm in a massive battle with a huge death toll for the allied humanoid races."

"Quite," the elf delegate yawns, "Quit the theatrics and get to the point."

*Rayne ignores Aliaster.*

"But that was not the end."

*The image shows a vast cavern complex underground filled with ritual objects, alchemical substances, and glowing sigils and arrays dedicated to dark powers, where suddenly a huge red dragon's eye shoots open.*

"Using vile and complex draconic rituals, Vildaxaranthus was able to cheat death and return as a being known as the Lichwyrm, raising a foul army of undead, loyal dragonspawn, and dark-hearted mortals to terrorise the land once more."

"The Lichwyrm!?" there is a murmured gasp from some who have heard of that name but not the first. Frump in particular looks particularly pale at the prospect.

*The image shows an enormous diamond, the biggest anyone has ever seen, glowing with prismatic energy as it splits into seven pieces, which scatter.*

"So paranoid was he of another defeat, that the Lichwyrm shattered his phylactery into seven separate pieces, any one of which was sufficient to return him from the dead, and he hid the pieces all across the world."

*A group of powerful Wizards appears, weaving an incredibly complex spell.*

"But his cunning was also his fatal weakness, as some of his power draws from his phylactery, so when he moved the pieces away, the Magequeen and a cabal of the world's greatest Wizards were able to overpower his magicks and seal him away forever...or so they hoped. However, events have come into motion that threaten the awakening of the Lichwyrm and the descent of our world into a milennium of darkness, death, and despair beneath his heartless skeletal grasp..."

*A bright red light, like a red star, begins to shine, and a blood-red diamond appears in the image, with the evil red dragon eyes gazing from the shadows upon it.*

"The Phoenix Shard, the Shard of Rebirth...Of the seven shards, it was considered the only one capable of beginning the ritual to reawaken the Lichwyrm. It was sealed away for all eternity with other items of great power and danger by a brave hero of the past...locked within the Desert of Fire within a series of enchantments that should have been unbreakable...But...someone has disturbed that seal, and so the Phoenix Shard was recovered by the remaining cultists of the Lichwyrm...Alone it is not enough to complete his resurrection, but...If we do not act quickly, the Lichwyrm shall be unleashed upon the lands again! And without the Magequeen to help us this time, we would be as insects before his wrath, his mind twisted and warped by madness and hatred, a desire for revenge growing ever-stronger after milennia of imprisonment."

"Oh no, the sky is falling!" Aliaster replies sarcastically, "Surely you do not expect anyone with a whit of sense to believe your ravings?"

"If you do not believe me, confirm it with divinations of your own," Rayne replies, "That is all I can offer you. But if we do not act now, we can expect only death, horror, suffering, and enslavement."

*There is a loud murmur, and many people begin to speak at once, but Umbryn Albion taps his staff sharply on the ground, making a loud sound that reverberates throughout the chamber and puts speech to a pause as all eyes turn to him.*

"Hrrmm?" he seems almost surprised to receive everyone's attention, "Ah yes, yes. We should have a short recess, yes? Hmmm...it seems like a good idea to let everyone settle their thoughts on the matter, hrrm? Just, of course, you know you cannot leave this room, yes?"

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
"Nice to meet another readhead," a young human woman answers Talbin. "My name's Tumna, and I think the party we had before leaving here was much more entertaining."

"Well I'll be damned..." is all she can say when the story has been revealed to them.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Quozen gasps. "The Desert of Fire?"

He turns to those near him. Quietly, he explains, "That is where I am from... Certainly, the land is vast, and perhaps it has nothing to do with the Basalt Citadel or the Order of the Nightingale, but...I must know where the shard was kept, and where the cultists may have taken it..."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases