Fallen Empire Campaign

Robbs

First Post
I plan to use this thread to solicit ideas, post NPCs, and gain feedback on various elements of the campaign I am currently developing/running. So first a bit of background.

I am currently running a heavily homeruled campaign that centers on an area that has been dominated for the past two hundred years by an overseas empire. That empire began pulling troops out about five years ago and has had no presence in the area for two years now. Since the empire was good at suppressing brigands, magical beasts and such there is a growing problem in these areas now. The vibe I was going for was a growing darkness upon the land, but not an organized takeover by one force. So villages are being raided, contact between cities is becoming more and more limited, vampires, were-creatures and such are starting to establish themselves more, etc. I wanted the PCs to both feel that they are fighting against a growing indeterminate evil (kindofa post-apocalyptic world without the apocalypse!) and worry that the more they act out in the open the bigger targets they become (I felt this concept would tempt too many players into being paladin/fill-in-the-blank). The world itself is a mashup of original content, favorite content from a variety of supplements (WOTC and non-WOTC), and modified historical material. I'm using the world map from Exalted as the geography and filling in my own stuff for the cities and towns (the Empire is from beyond the western ocean). The gaming group is a collection of friends that I've known anywhere from 10-25 years. They are a very flexible bunch so when we experiment with a new concept they run with it and if it is unbalanced they understand when I have to modify it. So I went in a bunch of different directions with this campaign (as we are getting older I don't know how many more campaign worlds I'll have a chance to run so I combined quite a few different things in this world).

One of the first things I tweaked was the exactness of spellcasting. I've never really like the flavor of tactical spellcasting where the PCs (and the baddies of course!) drop spells in the best possible spot and know exactly whether their spell can reach and how powerful it is. So I've randomized some of the affects to keep the players on their toes. I'm also limiting how much magic is in the world in terms of items and such, making the items mysterious in terms of players knowing exactly what powers said items have, and having items grow over time and circumstance (I forget where I saw the post but the article discussed the issue of Elric getting rid of Stormbringer because he found a better magic sword and I hate the disposable element of DnD items where you are constantly trading up-which means your family heirloom is out the door when you find a higher plus item). I have also set up a system where spellbooks tend to be individualized (again, the DnD system of every wizard has access to the same spell list thing annoys me) and there is a tension between hoarding personalized magic spells and trading with other wizards (basically I allowed the PH spells and then the player and I looked at other resources for some individual spells, which means that they sometimes cast something and other players are like 'What the hell was that?'). I have it built into the world history that magic has shut off at least three times in the known history. I also have it built in that various magical and religious groups believe that there is too much magic being practiced out there and that it might be causing these 'blackouts'. There is also a group out there that combines elements of the Eldreth Veluuthra and the Iron Kingdoms elves and are basically hunting down and slaying non-elven magic users.

There are a variation of the guns used in Iron Kingdoms sprinkled about (We have them hitting as a touch attack but slow to reload, which gives them a different vibe than bows or even crossbows-they tend to be close range fire then drop weapons). They are playing 6th level gestalted characters and about half have a template. I am controlling the level progression (we gave up on the standard system years ago) to keep the players in the 5-10th level range as long as possible (we prefer that power level) but am periodically slipping a player a feat, skill points, or magic to represent what their character has been going through (we all played Champions for years).

The last major element will also lead to my first major question. For gods I chose five classic pantheons and made them regional. They are Norse (Northern), Celtic (Eastern), Greek (Island), Egyptian (Southern), and DnD Core (Imperial). Nothing fancy there but I had an idea for making it different that I haven't fully developed. I introduced the concept of a godwar (that I call the Manifestation Wars-similar to the Forgotten Realms storyarc), but not specifically between pantheons. Prior to the Manifestation Wars (the gods have appeared in their various aspects[a manifestation that embodies one aspect of their portfolio], attributes[a lesser manifestation of one special ability, often projected onto a human follower] and hosts[generally extraplanar followers] during this time of upheaval) the various pantheons were generally geographically divided, with some small incursions into other lands. As time went by the various pantheons generally attempted to expand into other areas prompting clashes, especially between worshippers of overlapping or conflicting portfolios. Some interpantheon alliances, mostly shifting, have also occurred. This has become magnified as the manifestations take place.

Luckily, most of the deities have been working indirectly (those that have acted directly-slaughtering opposing gods’ worshippers, for example-have found themselves opposed by a collection of gods and there is a belief that some Aspects of certain gods have been destroyed) to stabilize their power bases and reach some agreement or realignment. The likely result is that once this is achieved, certain gods may have shifted from major to minor while some demigods may have achieved full godhood. This generally concerns mortals only if they have the misfortune of either having or seeking that which a god covets (whether magic or knowledge) or if they find themselves too close to a godclash (when two or more aspects, attributes, or hosts collide). The GM goal was to again tweak the magic system so that divine magic is subject to your god's current needs ("Sorry, Thor is currently using all storm magic. Please try again later" or 'The Aspect of Fire is nearby, your flamestrike is automatically maximized!') and explore making the gods a very real part of players lives and unpredictable. However I'm not sure where I want to go with this and wonder if it isn't a bit too much with all the other things I've got going on.

So the first thing I'm looking for is (are) suggestions/feedback on whether this should quickly right itself, whether it should slowly dissolve into a single pantheon (possibly of new gods that are amalgams), or even lead to a non-divine time when there are no true gods. Of course other feedback is welcome as well! We are about a dozen sessions into the campaign so as I get time I'll backfill storyline, NPCs and such.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

Quickleaf

Legend
Some thoughts...

If all (or most) magical items are legacy, you might want to disallow/tone down/relegate to a feat sundering.

Spellcasters are slightly less powerful due to the randomization of magic - is it just arcane or divine spells too?

Having the godwar modify spellcasting makes sense (perhaps also adding other planar characteristics to the area). However, your example of Thor using all storm magic seems too much like DM fiat...to the players it might seem unfair without warnings about the local godwar and effects on magic. Also you're making implications for the nature of magic in your world- that there is a finite supply which can be depleted- which might work well given that magic has vanished 3x before. This could lead to interesting resource management dilemmas when many powerful spellcasters are in conflict.

Robbs

First Post
The feeling in the group is that the sundering ability is pretty broken. In fact since a couple of the players also GM we have the gaming equivalent to MAD where there is a tacit agreement that if you start sundering be prepared for villains who sunder.

The randomization applies to all magic, it is more to represent that you never read in fantasy novels about spellcasters dropping fireballs just perfectly placed so that the flames stop just short of the lead fighters.

I hear you about the divine issue, part of the thing I want to work in is kind of a gossip amongst adventurer types and such about avoiding certain areas or trying to find out if your magic is going to work. We have a high level of trust between player and GM (as I said, I've known some of these guys for 25 years or more-I've been best man in two of their weddings!) so not too much fear about the GM fiat aspect and they don't have much cleric power between them-one screwed up cleric and a psuedo-paladin so they aren't very dependent upon that source anyway. I'm more curious as to what happens if a god is eliminated in terms of what will happen to worshippers, etc. As I said, I liked the element but am unsure where I want to go with it and if it will end up being more of a hassle than an interesting element. Also in the last campaign the PCs got involved in a plot to bring back an earlier pantheon that had been banished so I want to make this different. And if I can't then I want to phase it out so as not to be repetitive.

I like your point on magic and my current thought is less that it is less important whether it is that finite and more important that people are starting to think that way and are thus interested in limiting the spread. It provides interesting plot hooks, lets me occasionally strip magic or temporarily shut it down (which I think gives the PCs who didn't automatically go combo fighter-spellcaster when gestalting a chance to shine), and lets me introduce specialty spellcasters that the PCs aren't familiar with. And I like the bartering of magic that is already occuring within the party (as they are working together but don't have long established bonds, they are doing a good job of not metagaming and immediately swapping stuff-quite a few have scored a new magic spell or some such and quickly hid it so as not to draw attention from the others until they need to.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quickleaf

Legend
You Might check out Malhavoc's Requiem for a God - I remember reading some interesting ideas in a print copy.

I did a campaign with "aspects" of a slain god as psychic entities trapped in certain objects/areas. These "aspects" corresponded to 12 different organs/systems of the body and their corresponding psychological function (using eastern medicine as a guide). A PC could choose to bond with an "aspect", gaining a unique power but also becoming restricted the ego score (like a psionic object) of the "aspect".

Good luck, sounds fun! :)

Robbs

First Post
After starting this thread I promptly got buried in real world stuff and neglected it! Still have not resolved the gods issue (suggestions still gladly accepted :D ), but as promised I will be posting various elements from the campaign.

Coinage in the Fallen Empire

As trade dominates these decisions, coinage in the areas of the Fallen Empire (regardless of origin) is typically referred to by a common name. These names were transplanted from Antcash, with the exception of the wheel. The wheel is a continuation of an Eastern coin of the same name. Done originally as a sign of deference to local customs, it has since been incorporated into the general coinage. The original coinage introduced by the Empire had no platinum; therefore the highest standard coin would be the wheel, larger and thicker than standard Imperial coins. Once established (and as economic growth demanded it) the coinage added the platinum coin, which reestablished the Imperial coin as the highest. Trade bars are separate from this in that they are almost exclusively the province of large transactions involving trading houses and merchant guilds. The electrum piece was also introduced by the Empire, but is generally seen as a failure. While its value is technically fixed, many traders (especially smaller or more provincial traders) do not accept it as legitimate coin of exchange. Its original name was a merc. This was done to acknowledge the contribution of mercenary companies in the service to the Empire. Its more common, and mocking, name is the knave or fool. Overall coinage is generally is referred to by these terms:

gold bar=centurion=100 gold
platinum=imperial=10 gold
oversized gold piece=a wheel=5 gold
gold=crown
electrum=knave/fool=1/2 gold
silver=knight=1/10 gold
copper=slug=1/100 gold

As the Imperial presence declines names will slowly shift. Already in some areas gold or platinum have been referred to as sovereigns (debates on whether the gold piece, which is used more frequently, or the platinum piece, which is the highest coin, should have this designation has obviously caused some confusion). In the North the coinage has been simplified greatly. Platinum, wheels and electrum are virtually unknown, thus it has been simplified. Coinage is called the Sun, the Moon and the Stars to represent gold, silver and copper respectively.

Robbs

First Post
OK, now time for more requests. A concept that has been recently introduced to the PCs is that the Empire had a certain 'moral flexibility' when it came to dealing with various people or forces in the conquered lands. What the Empire craved was stability and minimal resource expenditure. Therefore the players are starting to realize that while the average citizen isn't aware of it, certain powerful figures in various cities may not be strictly, completely, 100% human (Lichlords tend to be much more stable leader types!). This slapped them in the face when they recently 'revealed' to one civic leader of a major city that another civic leader was some form of undead, only to have that leader dismiss it as old news! While I don't foresee every powerful figure in the cities as a mindflayer/dragon/beholder/doppelganger, I do want the PCs nervous as to what may exist 'behind the curtain' so to speak. I also play with alignments so these creatures don't need to automatically be evil (or good!) and plan to create story arcs where the PCs need to actually work with them on occasion. I also feel that this will keep them on their toes a little bit more upon entering a city (which with this kind of campaign could easily be seen as a sanctuary from all the dangers on the road).
So I am soliciting ideas as to various 'elements' that I could sprinkle about the world! Power level is wide open as 1) I don't see these as automatic opponents, 2) I have established the precedent that NPCs are under no level constraints relative to the PCs (The 'now that we are 10th level we only meet ogres with character levels' syndrome is a bit silly-the PCs have found things they can tee off on, have begun encounters only to realize they are outclassed and beat a hasty retreat, and have seen things and hidden until they've left!) and 3) The idea of the PCs being cowed by a highly charismatic 2nd level fop is extremely entertaining!
So...who might an 'openminded' Empire have dealings with? City or fortress-based entities are preferred but a being that could maintain order on the waves, in nearby forests, or other more 'open-air' venues are also welcome!

Robbs

First Post
Yeah, I looked at elements of the Roman Empire (and later British Empire!) when imagining the Imperial presence in this area. I've also read a good portion of "The Camulod Chronicles"! In fact in the back history of the world the reason for the pull out of the Imperial presence is to deal with a threat to the homeland, so the PCs will be encountering some areas that are holding on to Imperial ideals with the expectation that they will return while others will be trying to cement their power to be confirmed if the Empire returns or to grab land during the chaos. As the Empire only had firm control of the semi-coastal areas there are already threats from more inland based nations.

Robbs

First Post
Still looking for input on the Godwar front and potential interesting non-human leaders (or powers behind the throne) and such.

In the meantime, I have played fairly loose with the guns in this game so far and am tying up loose ends. As I mentioned before I have guns being rare but not unheard of. Looking at them as an Imperial invention that had slowly expanded throughout the lands. However the number of people that can cast and craft a firearm is extremely limited so the good Imperial guns will get harder to find but after a while there will be introduced a somewhat weaker local equivalent.
I've picked through a couple of different sources for ideas on implementing guns into the campaign and have mixed and matched various concepts. The biggest is that guns are a touch attack which obviously gives them a big advantage over bows. However we have ruled that loading one is a full round action. Making a skill roll can reduce that to a move equivalent, however failing leaves the gun unloaded and the move action used up. So short of two gun fighting a gun wielder will only get one shot per round. At higher levels the archer gets more shots but they do less damage and likely hit less often. I've had PCs weigh in on both sides of this argument, some thinking guns overshadow bows while others think they are underpowered compared to bows. I see them as filling a different niche than bows. I see them as fairly close range 'statement' weapons. Kick the door down, blast the first thing you see, then wade in with blades!
Anyway, here are the stats for the various guns I've introduced so far. Other than the touch AC this is info I've gleamed from various gaming sources and tweaked to fit our game. Suggestions always welcome!

Tentative firearms rules.

Table 1: Firearms

Size Weapon Cost Damage Critical Increment Weight Type
S Standard Pistol 225 2d4 (19-20)x3 40 ft. 2.5 lbs. P
S Military Pistol 300 2d6 (19-20)x3 80 ft. 4 lbs. P
M Carbine 450 2d6 (19-20)x3 120 ft. 8 lbs. P
M Musket 600 2d8 (19-20)x3 150 ft. 10 lbs. P
M Blunderbuss 125 4d4* x3 30 ft. 9 lbs. P

* Damage is treated as a breath weapon, DC=attack roll

Robbs

First Post
Combination post and question

I've created a calendar for use within game. The base details are as follows:

Calendars in the Fallen Empire

The Imperial Calendar dates back to the establishment of the Kingdom of Antelon. Thus dates are referred to by Imperial Reckoning. The current year is 732 I.R. Historians further break it up into stages that represent important landmarks in Imperial history. The Founding refers to the coronation of the first king of Antelon, uniting the major clans of the northern lands. Unification begins with the royal marriage that united Antelon with the neighboring country to the south and ends with the continued expansion that slowly brought the rest of the continent under one standard. Exploration marked the development of a sizable navy and merchant fleet. This was in response to a scouting expedition from the East that made landfall in Antcash. It continued through the development of a remote military base on the main island of Terene, part of an island chain that serves as a waypoint to the Eastern lands. Federation marked the first treaty with an Eastern city, later referred to as Threshold.

1st Stage=The Founding
2nd Stage=Unification
3rd Stage=Exploration
4th Stage=Federation

Seasons
First Bloom
Long Sun
Fading Light
Long Night

Months

Ehlonnary
Kortency
Bacil
Peloray
Farl
Obadden
Olidammen
Cuth
Nerith
Wejasden

Days
Fenday
Haliday
Styrday
Arday
Erday
Seaday
Flameday
Solday
Mageday
Finday

General details:

The Imperial calendar is a solar-based system with 405 days, 10 months, 40 days/month, each week is called a tenday. Most regions with a strong Imperial influence keep the tenth day as the Endweek, a time of rest. However local traditions vary, with some areas working throughout and others having days of rest tied to various festdays.
The first of the year is actually tied to the first signs of nature shaking off the cold. In ancient times, when the number of days was considered less important (and months were unheard of), the first day of the year would begin with the first sighting of new growth. Thus each year ends when the lands emerge from the cold of Long Night.
The last 5 days of the last month are actually separate. It is a time of celebration. No work, no time kept until the end-these days do not count in their reckoning. It is actually considered bad luck to refer to dates and times during the ‘Enddays’. It is a time to celebrate (Imperial tradition) or with some groups to contemplate (local tradition) the coming year. Most towns shut down during this time. Fires are kept burning in the town square (multiple fires in cities) and a candle at least is burnt in any home that can afford it. The flame is a light to signal family spirits that their descendents remember and honor them; the main fire is to signal the future of the town.
The Imperials adopted this cultural pattern, however the bonfires became celebrations and bigger cities use fireworks, etc. This is typical of Imperial methods, where local elements are co-opted then modified and often weakened. In this case many locals have embraced the Enddays as a time of release instead of soul-searching, as it requires less personal sacrifice.
The moon, called Phoenix, is based on a 27 day cycle. Some regions, including the island chain between the two continents, base their reckoning upon that instead. There were actually two moons in the distant past but, in an early battle for supremacy by various powers that pre-date the rise of man, the second moon was pulled down and shattered by incredible magics. It was actually used as a weapon by one of the forces, becoming a devastating meteor swarm that effectively wiped out all sides in the battle. Slivers of this moon can be found to this day (this is the source of metals such as adamantium, mithril and liquid silver). The second moon (called Unicorn) is a distant memory to some and a myth to most, although some scholars swear that a shadow version circles their world (it follows a 15 day cycle). Certain apocalyptic groups predict the return of Unicorn will mark the true End of Days, which will commence with the first lunar eclipse.
The months pay homage to the Imperial Gods and represent various beliefs about the relationship between the gods. The days denote things of significance in the world, such as the sun & moon, the elements, magic & steel, etc.

Now, the question is this. A weakness in my games has been the lack of a real time-sense. I never really focused on time passing with the PCs and basically winged it when it came to things like time of year, moon and weather. I am trying to address that in this campaign through a combination of keeping this calendar to organize things and give the world a little more substance, having a lunar calendar built in to deal with phases, and keeping a link to a website that projects weather based on climate and time of year. I'm enjoying the structure of it but can't help but wonder if naming the days is overkill. I can see the PCs eventually referencing the year and even the months but think keeping track of the names of the days may be too much. What are your opinions? Any feedback on the general background and structure of the calendar is welcome also!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases