Second Golden Age of Oannon-- Recruitment/OOC (Currently Open)

Altair

First Post
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3996101

Books Required:

3.0 PHB or 3.5 PHB

Books Permitted:

You can use any race, class, feat, PrC, skill, or spell from any 3rd edition core book, and from any one additional supplement. However, you may not use any classes or feats from any supplements other than the one you have chosen.

The only single exception is you may never psionics. Not because I feel psionics are unbalanced, but confessedly because I never owned any of the books dealing with it, never played with a player who did, and I honestly have absolutely no idea how it works.

(Additionally, I'd prefer you didn't use any of the oriental classes such as monk, samurai, ninja, etc. as they'd have trouble fitting in with the setting.)

Abilities:

22 Point Buy, your character won't be Herculean, but he'll definitely be markedly above average. I want to create a feeling that every time you enter armed combat, there is a chance you will be killed, and so entering melee with someone should usually be a last resort.

Races:

I've made a few alterations, mostly to fit the mythology of the setting, but also to diversify which stats each race specializes in (due to the fact that currently there are no races which are inherently good spellcasters).
  • Elves- Racial bonuses are +2 Cha -2 Con, instead of +2 Dex -2 Con.
    Favored class is sorceror instead of wizard.

Elves are looked upon as beautiful and wonderful by the other races. Their culture looks more highly upon those who master the "true magic" of a sorceror, over those who merely memorize the "ritual repetitions" of a wizard.
  • Gnomes- Racial Bonuses are +2 Int -2 Str, instead of +2 Con -2 Str.
    Favored class is wizard instead of illusionist.
  • Half-Orc- +2 Str, -4 Cha, instead of +2 Str -2 Int -2 Cha.

Orcs are not any less intelligent than the other races (despite what most of the peasantry think of them), though many of them are disgustingly deformed, even in the eyes of other orcs. They are reviled by all other races, and are commonlythought of as being useless for any task other than slave labor.
Classes:

Banned: Psion, Psychic Warrior, Any Psionic PrC for above reasons.
Altered: Paladins never lose their powers. Even a chaotic evil paladin can continue to use their abilities.

Feats:

Unaltered

Skills:

Unaltered

Spells:

The spells reincarnation, raise dead, ressurection and true ressurection can no longer be cast.

Alignment:

Alignment represents a person's outlook on life. If someone desires only to improve their own status with no regard to those beneath them, they will be evil, but this does not necessarily mean that they are murderers, or even that they are unpleasant to be around. In a similar vein, someone who only wants to do good for the world will always be good, even if they are murderously insane. Also, in general, people can get quite offended if you try to detect their alignment or cast any other spells on them without their permission, even if they don't register as being evil.

That being said, naturally, there is a certain stigma attached to coming off as evil on the alignment litmus test, especially in the paladin-run theocracy of Alancia.

You can play as a character of any alignment, though if you want to be a psychotic CE serial killer, you'll probably find yourself hanging from a gallows.

I don't really pay too much attention to player alignment at all. You could even leave the alignment field on your character sheet blank if you wanted (and I'd treat him as N for purposes of spells). It feels like a pidgeonhole to try to describe a character's whole philosophy on life in 2 letters.

Death:

The spells Ressurection, Raise Dead, and True Ressurection do not exist. A character cannot come back from the dead in any way short of a miracle (as in, an actual miracle, not just a miracle spell). Upon dying you should probably reroll a new character one level below the level of your character when he died, rather than wait it out for a ressurection.

Dice:

Use http://krisinchico.brinkster.net/rolldata.asp to roll dice so I can be sure nobody is fudging the rolls. I'll be using the dice roller myself (under the name Altair), so you can be assured of the same thing, but write down your rolls along with your post, so I don't have to check the roller every time.

SETTING

I'll be as brief as possible...

Geography:

The game is set in the continent of Oannon, which is european-medieval in style. The kingdom you are currently living in is Forannon, whose people are brown-haired, brown-eyed and sturdily-built. The nation is currently locked in a civil war between King Veran and his brother, High Duke Renar in the south, (the latter seemingly losing the war). You know that there was a large scandal involving inheritance of the throne ever since the death of the previous ruler, King Garrius, and the execution of his wife Queen Anara by the incumbent (who was his predecessor's brother), but you know little more.

To the east is Forannon's close ally, the Holy Alancian Empire. It is ruled by High Pontifex Benedict in the name of Pelor, who enforces his will through the paladins of The Sacred Order Divinus Luminarium (sometimes referred to as Ordo Sanctus). So far, Alancia has remained uninvolved with the civil war raging across Forannon. The citizens of Alancia are typically bright-haired, bright-eyed with slim frames and more chiseled features.

To the north is the Acherian League of Independent Territories (or Acher). It's not a true kingdom, as it has no king or central government. Instead, it is an alliance of sovereign duchies, which have entered into a treaty of mutual protection. Many of these territories were once provinces that seceeded from Forannon. The people of Acher are an eclectic mix of all races and cultures.

You know little more about Oannon's geography other than that gnomes and dwarves come from the uncharted arctic to the far north; the elves come from a forrested island kingdom east off the coast of Alancia (though many elves live in Alancia itself and serve among Ordo Sanctus); halflings are from a small kingdom to the south nestled in the mountains; and the orcs formerly lived underground inside a system of caverns under the northern mountains of Forannon, but most of them have been "civilized" within the past few decades, and are currently being used for manual labor.

Religion:

Oannon follows the religions painted in the PHB. Pelor is by far the mainstream. The cults of the evil gods are almost completely nonexistant, thanks to the persistant efforts of Ordo Sanctus. Last you heard, an inquisition was being held by the church of Pelor in a final attempt to extirpate them for good.

Mythology:

It was said that millenia ago, it was always night, the earth lit only by the moon and the stars. In this (literal) dark age, mankind lived in city-states, each one ruled in tyranny by dragons. Eventually, Pelor, then a mortal, united humanity to overthrow their draconic masters. Over the course of his thousand-year rule, known as the Golden Age of Oannon, he hunted the dragons nearly to extinction. His longetivity was supposedly due to a magical gem he wore from his neck in an amulet. When Pelor died there was a massive conflagration, which rose to the sky to become the sun and he took his place as the god of this world.

Since Pelor's death, his mighty empire slowly split up and though many wars have been fought in the past over the dream of reuniting Oannon, all such attempts have failed and have only caused (if anything) further fractification. The Church of Pelor preaches that Pelor will one day return to lead humanity into a second Golden Age.

More Information:

Everything written here is basic information that you should know in character, though there is more to the world to this. If you take a certain knowledge skill, or take a certain class, I'll provide you with any additional information you should know.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Seems interesting...but 22 point buy is pretty stern. That really puts a limit on the kind of characters one can play.

Still, good luck to ya. Have fun.

Altair

First Post
Shayuri said:
Seems interesting...but 22 point buy is pretty stern. That really puts a limit on the kind of characters one can play.

Still, good luck to ya. Have fun.

I've always thought of it as the ideal number, though I'm probably the only person in the world who uses anything below 28. In my opinion it really helps bring out a character's personality.

For example, let's say you are a fighter, you could be:

14 (Very Strong)
14 (Very Agile)
12 (Moderately Tough)
10 (Average)
10 (Average)
10 (Average)

or

18 (Legendary Strength)
8 (Below Average)
14 (Very Tough)
8 (Below Average)
8 (Below Average)
8 (Below Average)

or

12 (Above Average)
12 (Above Average)
12 (Above Average)
12 (Above Average)
10 (Average)
12 (Above Average)

or any other number of combinations

So that opens up 3 different characters, are you the skilled fighter, who uses both his quick reflexes along with his natural strength? Are you the brute who only understands how to hit things with a club? Or are you Jack of all Trades, who's charming and smart while still being moderately skilled and strong?

On the other hand, with 32-point buy, you can be good at everything, and there's no real personality in your statistics.

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
I'm interested in this, but I don't have a 3.0 php, nor am I really familiar with its rules. I've only ever used 3.5 (which I do have the core books of). I'll make a character if it's ok that I use the 3.0 srd as a reference.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward a leader-type melee character. After all, this setting is just begging for a revolution.

Altair

First Post
I should edit the original post to say "3.0 or 3.5", they're both compatable. The only changes between them are like 3 skills are tweaked slightly.

Start your characters off at level 1. (Don't worry, you'll level up quickly enough through non-combat exp).

Are there any questions? I'm going to head off to my classes in half an hour, and I'm planning on spending the rest of the day with some friends.

Dekana

Explorer
Since the IC thread's already up, can we go ahead and start posting once our sheets are done, or wait until you check over our characters? (I'm itching to incite a riot. :] )

Shayuri

First Post
Oh, I'm not saying it can't work.

I think the difference is, from your clarification, what each score 'means.'

To say, for example, that a 14 is "very strong" is based on the idea that scores are derived from a 3d6 bell curve a la GURPS. A 14 on that curve is a very significant score, and considerably above average.

In d20's linear progression, however, a 14 just isn't indicative of much real ability, in purely mechanical terms. The fluff tries to say it is, but the crunch begs to differ. For D&D, unless you lowball threats (which it admittedly sounds like you do), you typically need an opening score of 16 to have hit bonuses, damage, and/or spell DC's in ranges to meet early threats with some degree of certainty. 18's are recommended, but not essential. Furthermore, for spellcasters, opening scores less than 16 may bump into the attribute barrier on spell levels faster than leveling can raise the cap.

Generally, as a rule of thumb, I would say a 14 to be a bare minimum for a "secondary" priority attribute, like Con for a non-warrior, or Dex for a sword 'n' boarder. The raw mechanics of combat in D&D make using less pretty questionable. 10's and 8's fit comfortably in nonpriorities, like Str for a caster or Cha/Int for a straight warrior.

...hee. This makes it all sound so mathematic. I don't really think this way when making a character, I swear. :)

Ya know though...from your description and so on, and the priorities of the game (ie - Deadly combat, low heroic content)...you might be better served with a grittier, less flapjack system. Ever look at GURPS? :)

Altair

First Post
Melubb: Start off with max starting gold for your class/race.

Dekana: I'd prefer to read your character sheets first. Either post them here or send them to me. I'd prefer the latter, as I'd rather not let the other players know your stats.

Shayuri: Perhaps you're right, though I don't usually run very gruelling dungeons, so a 14 is usually more than enough to suffice for a primary stat.

Forgive me if I'm a little ignorant... I've never even heard of GURPS before, but I'll look it up :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases