Credits showing during LotR:TT DVD

Justin

Explorer
Hi all,

While watching the LotR Two Towers extended edition DVD on my computer, there are individual credits displaying at the top of the screen which I just found, interestingly enough, don't show in a screen cap. For example, right now it is paused with two lines at the top reading "Mike Horton" and "Editor". Each one fades after a few seconds and another one displays maybe 10 seconds later.

I'm using PowerDVD 7 on Windows XP. I can't seem to find any setting, either within the movie options or in PDVD. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these?

Thanks,
Justin

Bront

The man with the probe
Durring the credits? Or in a random scene?

Try a CTL-print screen or ALT-Print Screen for a windows screen cap that SHOULD show what you're talking about.

Justin

Explorer
During the whole movie, apparently, various cast and crew names and titles which repeat often but not in a consistent pattern.

I can't upload a screen capture, evening using the printscreen key, due to size limit. For some reason, trying to capture a DVD screen, paste it into MS Paint and then resize it or save it to anything other than a bitmap either blanks it out or doesn't show the part of the shot I attempted to crop. Even weirder, if I make the PowerDVD window small to try to create a smaller window to capture, when I view the capture in Paint, I see the DVD playing in that part of the Paint image even though PowerDVD itself is running but minimized! Very weird.

Justin

Bront

The man with the probe
DVD players do weird things.

You should be able to crop the image to show us what you ment.

My guess is that it's some kind of DVD player option.

Justin

Explorer
That's the thing, I can't even seem to get a screenshot of the problem, and I'm even having a hard time trying to figure out how to even explain the behavior I'm seeing. But here's an attempt...

PowerDVD (PDVD) is running in a small (non-maximized) window in the center of the screen, taking up about 1/6th of the whole screen. I take a screen shot using Alt-PrtScn, capturing to the Windows buffer. Open MSPaint. Ctrl-V to paste. MSPaint opens maximized and the resulting pasted image is at the top left corner of the MSPaint window. However, most of the pasted image is black, except for the bottom right corner of it, which is showing the top left corner of the video that was running in PDVD.

Now here's where it gets weird.

Imagine you're watching a DVD on TV and it is paused. Additionally, the video on screen only takes up part of the screen, centered. You have a piece of paper that is the size of the TV screen but there is a rectangular hole in it the same size as the video in the center of the screen. You move the paper around and thus only see the part of the video that falls within the area of the hole - the rest of what you see through the hole is the blackness that is the rest of the TV screen.

That's what I'm seeing when in MSPaint and moving that window around. However, PDVD is minimized, so outside the MSPaint window, I see my normal Windows desktop (icons, background pic of hot dancer chick, etc.). But even when not minimized, I still see the rest of my desktop, not just blackness like I see through the hole in the MSPaint image.

It's almost like the screenshot of the PDVD window *remembers* the whole paused image and shows the portion that would be on the screen when PDVD is unminimized, relative to where the pasted PDVD window is on the screen. This would somehow mean that the video buffer is still somehow tied to the PDVD image in MSPaint.

If that makes any sense, or anyone wants to try to replicate this problem (any DVD will probably work), please let me know. This is driving me crazy!

Thanks,
Justin

Justin

Explorer
Heh, forgot about WMP. It doesn't show any credits, so it must be some sort of PowerDVD setting that I can't locate. Maybe I'll send an email to CyberLink.

Thanks,
Justin

EDIT: Found it. It appears to be the "Enable DVD+VR" setting in PowerDVD under the Player Options configuration. Unchecking that box makes the credits not appear.

Last edited:

Remove ads