How *do* I balance this?

CerberusAOD

First Post
OK, I'm giving a class a bonus to damage similar to sneak attack.

Hidden Shot: Hidden shot may only be used at or beyond 60ft.

That i have, but I can't think of a good way to balance it and make it separate from the rogue sneak attack (the class that's getting it is tracker/hunter (or sniper :)) type class. Sneak attack is nicely balanced with the dex bonus bits...but anyone have ideas on a different way to do it?

Crothian

First Post
"Hidden shot may only be used at or beyond 60ft."

So, no damage from 0-59ft, and a damage bonus from 60+?? THat doesn't make much sense

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Some ideas:

1)Once the target can identify character and their location, they no longer can use hidden shot on that target.

2) It can only be used against flat-footed targets.

3) It can not be used against targets with any cover.

FD

CerberusAOD

First Post
Thanks for the replies...currently I thuink i'll be going with...
>30ft range
May not be used if the target has succeeded in a spot check to locate the character
May only be used against flat-footed targets

5th-level: +2d6
10th: +4d6
15th: may be used against targets which are not flat-footed
(do note that the campaign is almost completely lacking in combat magic and magic items, so that will end up being a bit more deadly than it looks at first glance)

How about having Sneak Attack as a prerequisite, and then treating it as a sort of improved sneak attack, allowing it to extend the allowable range, with the additional proviso that the shooter must also be hidden?

So...

HIDDEN SHOT

Prereq: Sneak Attack (maybe Weapon Focus with particular weapon to be used?)

Effect: If the shooter is hidden, and the target is flat footed, the attack is treated as a Sneak Attack--regardless of range (perhaps you could limit this to some lesser amount, maybe X times the range increment?)

Actually, having written that last bit, wouldn't it make more sense for the allowable range for a ranged Sneak Attack to vary by the weapon's range increment--similar to how bows and crossbows were treated differently for PB in AD&D?

As it stands now, some weapons are able to be used for sneak attacks at almost the limit of their effective range, while others are only able to do so at a small fraction...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases