A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]All of this is very interesting, but... Does anyone have any crafting decisions that depend on whether or not CP are spent? I don't; I'm going to make the same things either way:

1. A wand of magic missile (level 5): list price 3750
2. headband of intellect +2. list price 4000

Thus I'll need to spend 3875g, 310 xp, and maybe 775 CP on that, yes? And it will take 7 or 8 days of crafting. I'm perfectly happy spending CP on it and saying Tommy just takes a day or two to put the finishing touches on work he's been doing all along, if that flows better.

[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
All of this is very interesting, but... Does anyone have any crafting decisions that depend on whether or not CP are spent?
Nope, not me.
I don't; I'm going to make the same things either way:

1. A wand of magic missile (level 5): list price 3750
2. headband of intellect +2. list price 4000

Thus I'll need to spend 3875g, 310 xp, and maybe 775 CP on that, yes? And it will take 7 or 8 days of crafting.
Yes. That's 14 days in total, then, for Tommy-crafting. Perhaps for now we'll just buy the wands, no? Otherwise that's another two days, since Tarag doesn't have the feat.

We could do a few things during the other 7-8 hours of each day, though. Nothing too dangerous. Once we have a Hat of Disguise, one or other of us could sell the halfling loot piece by piece to several different merchants around town, in a different guise each time. At least then we know we were not just sitting around while not crafting, even though we're handwaving it.
I'm perfectly happy spending CP on it and saying Tommy just takes a day or two to put the finishing touches on work he's been doing all along, if that flows better.
I still say it's not possible to reduce the crafting time that way, since he didn't have 2000 gp to get started on a headband until after our arrival in Fallon, and didn't even have the Craft Wand feat until gaining XP from the tunnel fight, which occurred yesterday. Should have scribed some scrolls during the river journey! Keldar spent the time productively, reading a book.[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
All of this is very interesting, but... Does anyone have any crafting decisions that depend on whether or not CP are spent?
It matters to me because those CP are Tarag's livelihood. ;)

I made an error in trying to run a crafting PC in LEW - the rules just don't make adequate sense for anybody who's not an adventurer. Not surprising, really. :)

I don't want to hold up play any longer about it, though. Tarag will create Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Periapt of Wisdom +2. That'll cost 4000 gp, 320 xp, 800 CP and 8 days.

Oh, and Keldar's Hat of Disguise will take Tommy a further 2 days to craft. So that means 10 days total down time.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
I don't want to hold up play any longer about it, though. Tarag will create Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Periapt of Wisdom +2. That'll cost 4000 gp, 320 xp, 800 CP and 8 days.

Oh, and Keldar's Hat of Disguise will take Tommy a further 2 days to craft. So that means 10 days total down time.
14 days. There are Gloves of Dexterity +2, too, which are much more important than the Hat, if Keldar is to continue to contribute anything in combat alongside fellow PCs with 3rd level spells!

Incidentally, are you absolutely certain you want to use your gloves slot for your Str-increasing item? There's no rule problem with making a +2 Belt, even if for some reason the item list shows +2 Str Gloves and only +4 and +6 Str Belts as standard. The belt slot is pretty much useless otherwise, especially for a dwarf, but there are always some useful gloves, even just +2 Dex for someone in full plate with base Dex 10. Besides, the belt body slot affinity (physical improvement) makes more sense than the gloves one (quickness).

Likewise, a Shirt of Health (torso affinity is also physical improvement) is better than a standard Amulet of Health, since it doesn't get in the way of other cleric-vital things like the Periapt of Wisdom. Mind you, a +2 Wisdom item could equally well take up the head slot (mental improvement, ranged attacks) which fits as well or better than the amulet slot (protection, discernment).
[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC: ]
That being the case, I think that, in a situation like this where we are intentionally counting on the passage of time (to let things die down a little), it's entirely appropriate to craft items without the expenditure of CP.

I know that Rae takes a different view, however.

Did I? I vaguely remember discussing this at some point, but I don't remember my decision. At the risk of contradicting myself, I will agree with Boddynock that, since very real, in-game time is passing, it's appropriate to craft items without spending any CP.

I thought that the goal of CP was to compensate for the high volatility of time in PbP. Since we're explicitly defining this to be an in-game period of a few weeks, I think it's fine. (Judge: any comments?)

[sblock=Side Note on Judges: ]Who's judging this thread? Is it still Bront? Or did somebody else take over for him?[/sblock][/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]15 days total - I had overlooked the day required for Tommy to transcribe disguise self into his spellbook.

Since Tarag will be occupied crafting for only 8 days, we have him at a loose end for 7.

If we sell the tunnel halfling loot, after crafting we have roughly 1590 gp (Keldar), 1900 1400 gp (Tommy), 1520 gp (Tarag). This is a total of about 4500 gp.

While the individual amounts don't allow much in the way of additional purchases, the total is respectable. In 7 days, Tarag could craft a 7000 gp item, spending 3500 gp on materials.

If Tarag can be talked out of his sensible plan of ditching the wretched Keldar and returning to his forge, then Keldar would be pleased to pool funds, since 5100 in three pockets does nothing to keep anyone alive.

Is there anything anyone wants in the next while, that they could repay the group for later? My next intended commission for Keldar is either a Belt of Dwarvenkind, which is well out of reach for now, or adding the properties of a Circlet of Persuasion to his Hat of Disguise (2700 gp, 6 days, 216 XP to do, eventually re-paying 3240 for the job), but this isn't so useful right now (he's effectively buying Skill Focus (UMD) and a few other Skill Focuses with an item, and counterbalancing the Cha penalty from the dwarfy Belt, but he has nothing to try to UMD and no Belt).

A Pearl of Power 2 (2000 gp, 160 XP), for instance, could be immediately useful for either Tommy or Tarag. Or several 1st level Pearls (500 gp, 40 XP). One more +2 ability item (2000 gp, 160 XP), perhaps a Shirt B-) of Health +2 for Tommy, whose HP are the lowest? Upgrade Tarag's Cloak of Resistance to +2 (1500 gp, 120 XP)? An, uh, Stone of Alarm? A Minor Circlet of Blasting? A desperately needed Phylactery of Faithfulness, Tarag? :p Horn of Fog? Horn of Goodness?[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=leftover gold]Does that leftover gold come after we pay for a CLW wand? I seem to recall we decided not to craft it, but to pay for it, to save a bit of downtime. Or was I drinking the good stuff that night?
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Oh, uh. Kinda. Two wands, one for Tarag, one for Keldar. Somehow I forgot to subtract 500 gp from Tommy, but I did subtract it from the other two. So that's 4500 gp lying around, still plenty for 7 days' crafting.[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
OOC:
I believe there's no difficulty in cooperative crafting. But if we make CLW wands in house, Tommy - as the provider of the required feat - would have to pay the entire 30 XP cost and at least half the 75 CP cost.
Although there's a benefit to having assistants with the same crafting feat, the entry on Cooperative Crafting says, "Any PC may contribute to the creation of a magic item (including XP and GP and prerequisites)."

That means that Keldar can contribute XP along with Tommy (60% each, for a total of 120%) for those items which Tommy is making for him.

Apropos Trouvere's earlier comments about alternative item slots, I think I might craft a Belt of Ogre Strength - since that makes an upgrade to a Belt of Giant Strength seamless, and since Tarag might fancy a Gauntlet of Rust at some later date.

As to additional crafting, here's the list of what Tarag can craft at this level (I think I may already have posted it but I can't be bothered going back to look for it):

Code:
Amulet of health +2                        3         4000 gp          400 CP
Amulet of health +4                        3        16000 gp         1600 CP
Belt of giant strength +4                  3        16000 gp         1600 CP
Belt of giant strength +6                  3        36000 gp         3600 CP
Bracers of archery, greater                3        25000 gp         2500 CP                Craft Magic Arms & Armor
Bracers of archery, lesser                 3         5000 gp          500 CP                Craft Magic Arms & Armor
Candle of truth                            3         2500 gp          250 CP
Circlet of persuasion                      3         4500 gp          450 CP
Cloak of charisma +2                       3         4000 gp          400 CP
Cloak of charisma +4                       3        16000 gp         1600 CP
Cloak of charisma +6                       3        36000 gp         3600 CP
Cloak of resistance +1                     3         1000 gp          100 CP
Elixir of sneaking                         3          250 gp           25 CP
Elixir of swimming                         3          250 gp           25 CP                         5 ranks in Swim
Elixir of truth                            3          500 gp           50 CP
Gauntlets of ogre power                    3         4000 gp          400 CP
Helm of comprehend languages & read magic  3         5200 gp          520 CP
Horn of fog                                3         2000 gp          200 CP
Pearl of power (1)                         3         1000 gp          100 CP
Pearl of power (2)                         3         4000 gp          400 CP
Periapt of wisdom +2                       3         4000 gp          400 CP
Periapt of wisdom +4                       3        16000 gp         1600 CP
Periapt of wisdom +6                       3        36000 gp         3600 CP
Phylactery of faithfulness                 3         1000 gp          100 CP
Rope of climbing                           3         3000 gp          300 CP
Silversheen                                3          250 gp           25 CP
Sovereign glue                             3         2400 gp          240 CP
Stone of good luck (luckstone)             3        20000 gp         2000 CP
Unguent of timelessness                    3          150 gp           15 CP
Bottle of air                              5         7250 gp          725 CP
Circlet of blasting, minor                 5         6480 gp          648 CP
Cube of frost resistance                   5        27000 gp         2700 CP
Gem of brightness                          5        13000 gp         1300 CP
Helm of underwater action                  5        24000 gp         2400 CP
Lantern of revealing                       5        30000 gp         3000 CP
Pearl of power (3)                         5         9000 gp          900 CP
Periapt of health                          5         7400 gp          740 CP
Strand of prayer beads, lesser             5         9600 gp          960 CP
Sustaining spoon                           5         5400 gp          540 CP
Sticking to the 7 day crafting limit means a gp total price of 7000 gp. You can see that the item that comes closest is the Minor Circlet of Blasting. Apart from that, nothing really grabs me, although a Pearl of Power (2) and 3 Pearls of Power (1) are a possibility.

Please excuse the lack of sblock but at the moment I don't seem to be able to open my own sblocks, so just in case that's a problem for you folks I've done without!

Last edited:

Remove ads