A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=Map positions]Not quite. Tarag charged from O6 and the nearest square from which he could attack is K9 (three down, four across), not K10 (four each way). With Tommy in J3, he places the Grease in I10-J11, across the threshold. Keldar then would attack from J9.

Turket can't take a 5' step within the grease.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Rules]I count 7 squares (35') from J3 to J10. So I don't think Tommy can reach J11 from J3. In any case, I11 is out of sight (that door is still closed). He can't cast there if he can't see there, correct?

Why can't Turket 5' step in the grease? From the SRD:

SRD: 5-foot-step said:
You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness.

SRD: Difficult Terrain said:
Difficult terrain hampers movement. Each square of difficult terrain counts as 2 squares of movement.

SRD: Grease said:
A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check.

I argue that the magical grease effect is similar to but different from "difficult terrain." I am prepared to accept counterarguments.

If the grease is in I9-J10, as depicted, Keldar wants to be in K10, yes?[/sblock]

Waiting for rule lawyers to present counterarguments or agree to settle.

Attachments

• turket_one.jpg
    turket_one.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 204

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]
I count 7 squares (35') from J3 to J10. So I don't think Tommy can reach J11 from J3. In any case, I11 is out of sight (that door is still closed). He can't cast there if he can't see there, correct?

Without actually bothering to look it up, I was under the impression that you need LOS to the center of the area of effect. For example, the old fireball-around-the-corner trick. Tommy's intent was to create a 10' square area of grease centered on the intersection of I/J 10/11, which I think he can see. His movement was for the purpose of getting him close enough to do that; I might not be bright enough to figure out what square that is, but hopefully Tommy is.

But, I admit I'm just itching to get on with it at this point.
[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Rules]"If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted." -SRD

Let's say he moves to J4, then.[/sblock]

Turket practically ignores the grease (Reflex save 23). He looks up at you, his eyes suddenly coal black. "I admire your persistence. Now see me at my darkest." A low, bass tone hums from the center of the room, and the area is suddenly engulfed in a black sphere of icy cold void. Horrible images fill your mind as your skin frosts over, and your stomach heaves. Only Fimble is spared from the darkness.

[sblock=Spellcraft DC 19]The spell is unholy blight.
[sblock=Knowledge (The Planes) DC 18]Some devils have the ability to cast unholy blight and wield magical, animated ropes as weapons.[/sblock][/sblock]

Turket turns around and again attempts to flee. (AoO from Keldar and Tarag, if they're still standing.)

[sblock=OOC]Tommy, Tarag, and Keldar: 15 damage and sickened for 4] rounds, Will save DC 19 for half damage and no sickening.[/sblock]

Attachments

• turket_one.jpg
    turket_one.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 216

Trouvere

Explorer
"Turkey, you're glittering," says Keldar, in as deflating a manner as he can manage under the circumstances. He lashes out with as skilled an attack as any he's made.[sblock=OOC]Could we, perchance, see a DC 19 Concentration check for Turket to cast his SLA defensively? It's about time he rolled a 1. If his Concentration check is lower than I'd suppose, perhaps also one against Tommy's Grease DC 16 (distracted by nondamaging spell)?

AoO, for whatever might provoke it, 1d20+9=29, 1d6+3=8 (+1d6=2 SA on grease), natural 20!
Critical confirmation: 1d20+9=20, 1d6+3=5 (forgot to add Bless to the dice as rolled, sorry, Tarag. These numbers are right).

If he miraculously fails his Concentration check to cast defensively, Keldar's AoO will occur first, forcing a Concentration check DC 10+damage dealt.

Regardless, since Keldar hits, Turket also needs to make a Balance check against DC 10 or fall in his starting square. He also needs a second DC 10 Balance check to move through the greased square.

And since I doubt things will go that well, Keldar's Will save 1d20+1=19. 7 damage, not sickened.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Concentration]He casts defensively. I

I thought he only had to make one check per turn, but you're right, he makes another when he tries to move. He failed with a 7, so he stays put.

That also means he provokes no AoO at all.[/sblock]

Turket didn't move south, but he didn't fall either. Instead, he flounders in the Tommy's grease, not provoking any AoOs.

Waiting on all of your actions.

Attachments

• turket_one.jpg
    turket_one.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 222

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: oh, bollocks. I've killed us all.
Can I keep those rolls for my attack this round? :uhoh:

Having blown that Balance roll, Turket needs to make yet another DC 16 Reflex save to avoid falling.

With the Grease placed where it is, Keldar would be in J9, not K10.

Fimble's Spellcraft 1d20+12=24, but he's untrained in Knowledge (the planes).

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Yes, go ahead and reuse your roll.

Turket barely stays standing with a reflex save of 17.

[sblock=Round 6]Round 6
Tarag <-
Tommy
Fimble
Keldar
Turket[/sblock]

Waiting on Tarag, Tommy, Fimble, and Keldar.

Attachments

• turket_one.jpg
    turket_one.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 168

Remove ads