A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Solange

First Post
Wik said:
OOC: Yeah, let's test the theory. You first. ;)
OOC: I'm only in a chain shirt ;)

Rapture hands Keldar 5 plat, "Have fun, we'll go see the guards."

With that, Rapture looks for the nearest guard station with the others.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
After some talking with the guards, you discover very little. James apparently paid his fine in full and then disappeared. The Watch isn't even able to tell you where he disappeared to, unlike the Constructor's Guild Clerk.

Trouvere

Explorer
Solange said:
Rapture hands Keldar 5 plat, "Have fun, we'll go see the guards."
Keldar dances around Rapture, unsure whether to hug her or not. "You're a princess among paladins," he says. Then he hares off in the direction of a bad part of town. When he rejoins the group, he's staggering under the weight of a lumpy sack tied at the top.

"Here, Tarag," he says. "Keep this safe in your magic bag, would you?"[sblock=DMRae/Purchase record]Rapture lends 50 gp
Keldar sells old thieves' tools :eek: poor grandma +15 gp, total 149.92 gp
Keldar purchases:
MW thieves' tools, 100 gp;
20 arrows, 1 gp
20 cold iron arrows, 2 gp
4 javelins, 4 gp
1 sack, 0.5 gp
Remaining funds: 42.42 gp

Keldar spends some time looking for large roundish rocks. He tests that each is within the limit of his mage hand ability. He puts a dozen of these in the sack (reasonable? I assume a sack like a potato sack could hold about 20-25 kg, which would be 12 rocks weighing 4-5 lb).[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
Trouvere said:
When he rejoins the group, he's staggering under the weight of a lumpy sack tied at the top.

"Here, Tarag," he says. "Keep this safe in your magic bag, would you?"
Tarag hefts the bag and says, "What have you got in here - rocks?"

He proceeds to undo the bag and check its contents. If Keldar complains he says, "I'm not carrying anything in this haversack if I don't know what it is. There are certain items which will destroy it if they're placed inside, and I don't trust you to know the difference."

When he opens the bag, he looks at Keldar in disbelief.

"They are rocks. By the Forge! What do you want with ... ? Ah, never mind. Do you want to retrieve them individually or all together? Just so long as you realize that, if I need the space, your rocks are going to be dumped - or else you can carry them yourself!"

covaithe

Explorer
As they walk away from the guard offices, Tommy remarks "That was a little disappointing. I was hoping they'd know more about the situation. You'd think that when they fine someone, they'd keep a record of why. Ah, well, I guess we'd better let Fimble know what we've found and get on our way to Fallon."

Trouvere

Explorer
Boddynock said:
When he opens the bag, he looks at Keldar in disbelief."They are rocks. By the Forge! What do you want with ... ? Ah, never mind. Do you want to retrieve them individually or all together? Just so long as you realize that, if I need the space, your rocks are going to be dumped - or else you can carry them yourself!"
"Rocks," Keldar confirms unnecessarily. "If you have to dump them, you have to. But it'd be nice to have some to hand without having to go looking. What can't you do with a sack and fifty pounds of rocks? I'm sure if you think a moment you can come up with a thousand and one uses for them! Just to start you off, I'd say together they weigh about the same as Fimble. Galwynn, I hope you haven't lost the rope I've had since the first day in Grenton. And who has the Shovel? Perhaps all that could go in the haversack too."

"So, what did the Guards have to say? Oh? Typical. As useless as they are unwilling to accept perfectly reasonable explanations."

OOC: Fimble has been tagging along without saying a word since here, I think!

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
"Here is the shovel," Tommy says, producing it. "I'd be happy not to have to carry it any more, though it's not very heavy."

ooc: I think Tommy had the shovel at one point. If that's no longer the case, please disregard this. :)

Solange

First Post
covaithe said:
As they walk away from the guard offices, Tommy remarks "That was a little disappointing. I was hoping they'd know more about the situation. You'd think that when they fine someone, they'd keep a record of why. Ah, well, I guess we'd better let Fimble know what we've found and get on our way to Fallon."
"He's no longer worth anything to the guards, so they won't bother. Men often keep tight watch on things that are worth money to them," Rapture says.

Wik

First Post
"Don't put the shovel in the sack - I have a bad feeling we'll wind up regretting it if we put everything in Tarag's magic bag. I'll carry it."

Galwynn stuffs the shovel in his pouch, and then looks around. "So... riverboat? Or horses? Please say boat."

Trouvere

Explorer
"Boats!" says Keldar. "In fact, why not row ourselves!?"

OOC: eyeballing the map, it's 350 miles or so to Fallon, so about 35 gp passage each. A keelboat would take 6 weeks to get there (added advantage: Keldar will starve to death part way from lack of funds for trail rations). Alternatively, we could buy 2 rowboats for 100 gp and row ourselves, taking 4 weeks :D
[Edit: it occurs to me that if a keelboat has a double crew rowing in shifts (since it's upstream to Fallon), they could travel 12 hours (or however much daylight we get) rather than the standard 8, so the keelboat would take the same time as rowboats]
[Or we could, you know, walk the shorter road in about 15 days]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases