A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Wik

First Post
"Your confidence is reassuring." Galwynn mutters, looking out at the water around him distaste. If floating on a boat is bad, imagine how sickening it'd be to float to the bottom...

"Alright. I'll take a position to draw any fire, when I call them. And don't shoot first, thief. Promise me."

Galwynn will climb up to the bow of the ship, and peer out in the darkness. When everyone's ready, he'll do his best imitation of a confused sailor (which is probably poor, considering his armour) and shout out "Hello!? Is anyone there?" and hope to hell his armour will deflect the inevitable arrows.

Trouvere

Explorer
"I'll definitely let them have the first shot at you," Keldar assures the big glinting target. He stands behind the best cover he can find and waits for the ship's captain.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble takes a small bit of offense at being called "Gnome", and Riki chitters at Galwynn, but 'Gnome' climbs up the rope ladder to the crow's nest to call down the boy up there.

The first mate emerges from the captain's cabin with the captain himself in tow. The captain is rubbing his eyes, mumbling, and the first mate is saying something in a foreign language that none of you understand while pointing to the north east. Suddenly the captain stops in his tracks. "What? What did ye say? Pirates? By th'gods, we'll be slaughtered! I took these nobodies on fer the crew's sake, I di'n't 'spect t'be attacked by pirates!"

With the first mate blustering and sputtering in mangled Common and strange foreign, the captain yanks open the door to the crew's communal cabin and shouts as loud as he can, "ABANDON SHIP! PIRATES!!" With that, he promptly throws himself overboard and begins swimming west.

The first mate stares, dumbfounded, while those in the crew's cabin begin to stir. The boy in the crow's nest starts to cry, and Fimble says, "Oh dear."

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar shouts after the splashing captain: "I'm not a nobody - I'm Keldar blooming Warbray! I've killed elementals!" He runs aimlessly up and down beside the rail.

Solange

First Post
"The river will be a harsher mistress than pirates if you decide to follow. We haven't lost the ship yet, and I don't think we should give her up without a fight." Rapture says.

OOC: Diplomacy +13 to try to rally the crew.

Wik

First Post
"You can die as old cowards... or maybe, you can have the chance to say, years from now, that you stood against evil. It's your choice." Galwynn says, fairly gently.

OOC: Aid another on Rapture. Diplomacy +10.

After saying this, Galwynn cries out, "Sailors! We know you're out there! Reveal yourselves, or we will be forced to consider you pirates, and will respond as such! Please don't make us do this!"

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The crew quickly forces its way up onto the ship deck. They look about, confused and a little afraid, but Rapture's gentle but commanding voice grips them. They look at one another and nod their heads. One draws a naval cutlass and raises it in the air.

The first mate grins hugely at Rapture. "Yous be a true leader, and a fighter. We follow yous and the Nobodies." He draws his own weapon: a fine rapier.

Galwynn's challenge doesn't garner any response. Nobody except Fimble can even see the ship yet, it's concealed behind a series of dark shapes, probably rock islands.

Fimble, up on the rope ladder, whispers loudly, "They're on a collision course, they're gonna ram us! Can you dodge them?" He's pointing at the first mate. He nods and runs to the helm. Fimble follows as fast as he can.

[sblock=OOC: ]Here's how I'd like to do this:

I'll control Fimble and the first mate. I'd prefer you controlled the rest of the crew: You guys can divvy up the crewmen as you like, they'll follow directions and be generally cooperative (thanks to Rapture's 22 diplomacy check which pushed them over into Helpful). There are 12 crewmen. For the sake of simplicity, each is identical and their basic stats are as follows:

Crew
Human Expert 1, 5 HP
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8
AC 14, Touch 12, FF 12
Melee +2 cutlass (scimitar) (1d6+2/18-20x2)
BAB +0, Grp +2

A map will follow soon, but for now the ship is about 15' wide by 50' long, with varying heights.

This should be fun! :][/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads