A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Finally, an arrow from the merchant ship flies true. Keldar's arrow, with grace and precision surpassing the spineless sniper's, also glides easily between the rails of the pirate crow's nest and nestles itself in the chest of the man up there. Like Will, he shouts in pain, but unlike Will, he drops to the ground, prone.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Tommy's blast of arcane magic pelts the blaggard in the chest, but he remains standing.

OOC: Rapture?

Rules Question: Can you drop prone if it's not your turn?

OOG: Very unfortunately, my rather detailed notes on this combat have been eaten alive by Windows. I now know next to nothing about any of the pirates besides the brief memory jogs I'd scribbled on this stupid sheet of graph paper on my desk.

The only thing I was able to recover was the initiative order (oh hooray), so I've got a lot of repeat figuring to do over the weekend. I apologize in advance for slow updates, but rest assured that I haven't forgotten you, rather I am working diligently on making this play out well. Thanks for being patient.

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: Oh dear. Still, even if the pirates had rich internal lives, Keldar will shoot them just the same.

Tarag as well as Rapture.

Dropping prone is a free action, not an immediate one, so must be done on your own turn, afaik.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC: ]Okay, I should be back up to speed on this one. The pirates didn't have detailed backgrounds (Solange and Trouvere: unlike Hasan...) but they did have detailed combat stats, which I had carefully chosen. So I've summoned up what I could from memory and fabricated the rest. DMing at its best.

To covaithe: I said the archer immediately dropped prone. This was untrue, because he can't act unless it's his turn. He still comes before Tommy in the initiative, however, so for Tommy's action he is prone and has total cover (since he's at least 20' above the ship's wheel's level).[/sblock]

Rapture's arrow sails into the lake water.

Round 4: (Collision!)

The pirates all grab onto something: the captain onto the foremast, the first mate onto the ship's wheel, and the rest onto a rail. Fimble squeals as the forecastles of the two vessels meet with a loud crack!

[sblock=Balance Rules: ]DC 10 Balance check to stay standing. +2 circumstance bonus for standing in a square with something to grab onto (the edges of each section have rails to grab onto, the masts, etc). -2 penalty for standing on stairs.

Please roll for your character's "team". The crew all have Balance as a class skill and receive a +6 bonus (4 ranks +2 Dex).

(Tarag, K3, and TI do not get the bonus, everybody else does. TI gets the penalty.)

Failure means you immediately fall prone and must spend a move action on your turn to get up. Everybody is flat-footed, even if you succeed.[/sblock]
The pirates all remain standing, each and every one of them. Fimble and the merchant first mate also manage to stay on their feet.

Fimble loads his crossbow, wanting to fire a shot at the burly blaggard that Tommy hit. But the two ships rock each other violently and Fimble's crossbow fires randomly. He narrowly avoids hitting his foot. "Yikes!"

Keldar's gang is up, and then the six fore pirates.

[sblock=Initiative and Map Legend]
Fim - Fimble (HP: 19 )
K - Keldar (HP: 21 )
Kw - Keldar's Whip Wielder (HP: 5 )
K2 - Keldar's 2nd (HP: 5 )
K3 - Keldar's 3rd (HP: 5 )
7 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
8 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
9 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
4 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 3 )
5 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 0 )
6 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 0 )
Ta - Tarag (HP: 26 )
TW - Tarag's Will (Crow's Nest) (HP: 1 )
TJ - Tarag's James (HP: 5 )
FM - Merchant First Mate (HP: 13 )
R - Rapture (HP: 31 )
RL - Rapture's Lenny (HP: 5 )
RK - Rapture's Karl (HP: 5 )
1 - Spineless Sniping Scumbag (Damage: 9 , prone )
2 - Pirate First Matey (Damage: 0 )
3 - La Capitan (Damage: 0 )
10 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
11 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
12 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
To - Tommy (HP: 13 )
TF - Tommy's Franz (HP: 5 )
TI - Tommy's Ivan (HP: 5 )
TM - Tommy's Marcus (HP: 5 )
G - Galwynn (HP: 28 )
GM - Galwynn's Marlowe (HP: 5 )
GP - Galwynn's Pitr (HP: 5 )
[/sblock]

Attachments

• ships-collide-1.jpg
    ships-collide-1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
At this range, your opponents become much clearer.

The burly blaggards are wearing studded leather armor and wielding fachions. They look strong and have many scars.

The sneaky seadogs wield rapiers and wear studded leather armor. They have a sly look about them.

The swashbucklin' elves look horribly out of place with their longswords and heavy wooden shields. They are protected by chain shirt.

The captain, you now notice, is the prettiest pirate you're like to see. Her long, silvery hair is swept behind her delicate elven ears. A chain shirt protects her (healthy) breast. The armor along with her rapier and shortsword glitter in the moonless starlit night.

The pirate first matey looks remarkably similar to the merchant first mate. They wield the same weapon (a rapier) and are protected by the same armor (chain shirt and a buckler). In fact, they look identical, the hair, the build, everything.

The spineless sniper, true to his name, is hidden out of sight in the crow's nest.

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar's little group rock gently on their feet. Keldar recovers quickly. "I will be right back," he says. "Excuse me." He dashes past his third man towards the front of the boat to take a clear shot at the ugly scarred pirates. And it's a good one. Still he finds time to comment to Rapture with a nod of his head at the enemy captain. "It's always the pretty ones who turn bad."

OOC: successful Balance checks; Keldar moves to A10 and fires at B5 (+6 +1 bless +1 PBS; +1 damage for PBS, +1d6 SA): 1d20+8=26, 1d8+3+1d6=10

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases